Who 'won' E4 2014? *spawn

Don't underestimate Halo MCC. It's probably the biggest bomba Microsoft had in their pocket on Monday. It's the weapon they're relying on to get the disgruntled old Halo fanbase off the fence.
If the MCC is a good translation I'll definitely be picking up an Xbox One this Fall. I've only played Halo on PC/Mac, missed Halo 2 and played Halo 3 and 4 on a friends machine but would welcome playing the series with updated presentation. That and Forza Horizon 2 are real draws for me.

Surprise surprise, I liked MS conference best. It was wall to wall games, the presenters seemed pretty good and comfortable, Phil Spencer is easygoing and casual
Remember that Phil Spencer are Adam Boyes are suits. You shouldn't let what presenters wear fool you, these are all professional corporate people running arms of their respective companies where making money is the order of the day.

Sony's conference went on way too long, again. It started at 2am UK time so I downloaded a YouTube video and watched it yesterday skipping through most of Shawn Layden and the TV stuff because none of that interests me. LittleBigPlanet 3 was a genuine surprise but I think I've had my fill of that franchise but seeing Arkham Knight gameplay was very cool and Sony win for me for this alone. I'm also really psyched that No Man's Sky is coming to PS4 as well. A brief trailer of Uncharted 4 was good and four minutes of The Order which left me with mixed feelings. Oh of course and GTA V.

Microsoft's conference I watched live on Monday and the only two things I'm really sold on is Halo MCC and Forza Horizon 2. DriveClub got me excited to race again but the thought of doing it open world is leaning me heavily towards FH2. Seeing more of The Division was also good. Sunset Overdrive might be great but it's one of those games I'd need to play first because the controls are critical and Insomniac's last few games (not just Fuse) have looked fun but have been less than fulfilling after an hour.

It's the first time I've seen COD Advanced Warfare and have been put complete off this, it's just not my thing at all, I really miss the Modern Warfare series.

The Division looked great as well, though arguable how much it has to do with MS like all third party games, it did help make the show better for me.

This is the weird thing with Microsoft or Sony announcing a third party title, it's good for all platforms but the announcer gets kudos by association. I think it's because most people, myself included, don't rate a conference purely objectively because there are emotions involved. Seeing gameplay for Arkham Knight was very cool, because it was at Sony's conference, there conference was cooler for me. Had Microsoft snagged that, it would probably have swung it for me.

Both Microsoft and Sony's conference went pretty much as I expected other than LittleBigPlanet 3 and GTA V, neither of which I really expected. I wasn't expecting any earth-shattering because the year following any console launch is usually quite weak on released. The launch window stuff is out and everybody else is beavering away for the following year. I've not seen Nintendo's conference yet.

Ubisoft won E3 2014 in terms of the conferences.
Yeah, Aisha Tyler is a very good presenter. Rainbow Six looked really interesting too. I'm sure the typical multiplayer language once live will be nothing like what's shown ;)

Hi patsu,

It's not that bad. ;)

I just watched the start of Ubisoft's presser, and just that intro probably wins it, ha ha.
Far Cry 4 - November 18th. So that's this year. ;)

What are the highlights ?

I saw a few trailers. The games look good. The only thing that caught my attention so far is Miyazaki's Bloodborne (sp?).

Probably have to wait for weekend to watch the press conferences.

The monetization of Project Spark is currently the biggest worry, as I've heard various complaints about this from beta users.

They announced back in March some big changes to their monetization plans due to beta tester feedback. One of the biggest changes was removal of Spark Time. Basically you'll be able to play anything created in Project Spark & there are no time limits or DLC ownership requirement. More details here...

http://projectsparkblog.tumblr.com/post/79996729818/project-spark-changes-spark-time-upload-slots

AFAIK Spark doesn't have a campaign as such, and is a much more pure game creator, like Kodu on 360. As such, there's no immediate hook for Spark for people wanting to play games. It's more a distribution platform for indie titles created within Spark, so you'd have to educate consumers with no interest in making stuff to get Spark to play content available on it.

They added the Crossroads mode early this year. It's where you 1st start when you play Project Spark. It's basically a single-player Choose Your Own Adventure mode. They also just announced Champions Quest which is a co-op game where you do play a campaign story with a friend, but you also learn how to use Project Spark to help Kode ways to battle & win the game.

Tommy McClain

PS3 seemed like the winner. While xb1 and ps4 weren't showing a whole lot new on the floor, there was a lot of stuff shown on ps3.

The biggest winner(s), EA and UBI cash cow IP franchises. The biggest loser, anything Kinect related or the hopes of seeing anything remotely Kinect-worthy during MS E3 conference.

They added the Crossroads mode early this year. It's where you 1st start when you play Project Spark. It's basically a single-player Choose Your Own Adventure mode. They also just announced Champions Quest which is a co-op game where you do play a campaign story with a friend, but you also learn how to use Project Spark to help Kode ways to battle & win the game.

Tommy McClain
DO you know if they're going to extend these to a fuller game, or are they more an intro/preview? The challenge will be to attract users without needing them to want to make stuff, so the game aspect needs to be pretty strong. Or alternatively give it away free so you get plays from curiosity and then monetise elsewhere.

DO you know if they're going to extend these to a fuller game, or are they more an intro/preview? The challenge will be to attract users without needing them to want to make stuff, so the game aspect needs to be pretty strong. Or alternatively give it away free so you get plays from curiosity and then monetise elsewhere.

They have said the Champions Quest is "multi-chapter". So it sounds like they are expanding it. Also, Project Spark is already given away for free. They will be making money off the DLC Packs. They have about 10 of them with Galaxies being a new one they announced at E3. They are trying to finish Champions Quest, Live Multiplayer & Galaxies for the Fall release. Seems like they're not sure about how to integrate Conker just yet. I think they will wait until after the Fall release before he shows up.

Tommy McClain

They announced back in March some big changes to their monetization plans due to beta tester feedback. One of the biggest changes was removal of Spark Time. Basically you'll be able to play anything created in Project Spark & there are no time limits or DLC ownership requirement. More details here...

http://projectsparkblog.tumblr.com/post/79996729818/project-spark-changes-spark-time-upload-slots

That's good news, because ... what the heck were they thinking?

Tommy McClain

Sounds good. This could turn out good yet eventually!

Boredom won E3 2014.

That post pretty much nailed. Neither conference was great. Had the ntkrnl leaks not happend the ms conference would have been more interesting. Sony had their typical poor showing due to lack of meaningful games.

IMO, there really were no winners this year.

MS didn't really give me a reason to pick up an Xbox this year (although I still may). But I wanted them to give a me a "Wow. Holy shit, I want that" moment and they didn't. Sony didn't give me an exclusive that I want to play this year (gotta wait for Bloodborne), and Nintendo didn't convince me to buy a WiiU this year either.

Just kinda ho-hum all around.

I'd probably give the winner to CDR for Witcher 3 looking awesome.

IMO, there really were no winners this year.

MS didn't really give me a reason to pick up an Xbox this year (although I still may). But I wanted them to give a me a "Wow. Holy shit, I want that" moment and they didn't. Sony didn't give me an exclusive that I want to play this year (gotta wait for Bloodborne), and Nintendo didn't convince me to buy a WiiU this year either.

Just kinda ho-hum all around.

I'd probably give the winner to CDR for Witcher 3 looking awesome.
I also expected a biblical legendary stratospheric megaton of epic proportions this year from Microsoft, just to make up from the last E3. It didn't happen, I thought they'd buy Sega or something.

They showed games and more games, which is great. Many of them vibrant and colourful. In that sense the best conference, just not so great.

Sony had a couple of interesting games and they have shown GTA V in their conference, but other than that it was the typical Sony E3 conference, which means ups and downs. They seemed more interested in selling PlayStation TV than anything else.

Nintendo always have solid games to show, and they generate lots of expectations. It's their best perk. Without an F-Zero the WiiU has no chances with me, but I gotta admit Nintendo are always solid and stable. That ingrained philosophy comes from experience I guess.

I found it to be a very predictable E3, more predictable than I thought it would be, and I -amongst many others- expected this conference to be the best ever, really...

Where others had plenty of colourful games, Nintendo or Microsoft for example, there was Ubisoft to break the mood and offer the grey games.

EA.. what can I say... nothing unexpected.

AAA games and games in general are becoming clones in the way they expose their main characters, smart alecks know-it-all people that suck. :/ :(

From Microsoft:

- Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2
- Fable Legends (multiplayer)
- D4 (not in the conference)
- Ori and the Blind Forest

All for 2014. I won.

Sony's conference disappointed me greatly compared to last year's. It was a terrible conference compared to MS's. I was really looking forward to seeing some reveals of new games or games coming down the pipeline. Nope. We get the multimedia crap. Has Sony learned nothing or did they let a bunch of morons plan their conference? I really want Cerny at the forefront from now on. That man knows how to articulate his vision in a passionate manner that is enjoyable to watch. These corporate drones Sony had were boring and lacking the personality and passion.

MS's conference has helped restore my faith in the XB1. Phil Spencer is the best thing that could have happened and showed throughout this E3. The vibe was better, their communication was better, and they didn't come off as arrogant jerks. Very good for MS.

And I liked Nintendo's conference. Now if they would only have the same vibe and more aggressive attitude at next year's E3 with a new console that would be awesome. I might actually get a Wii U soon.

And Project Spark definitely has me interested. I'm going to be following up on this over the next few months. Thank you AzBat for piquing my interest in this title.

He'll be delivering the keynote speech along with Andrew House at Develop 2014. I'm looking forward to it and hope it is available online.

IMO the B3D mod team won. E3's boringness meant no controversial megatons, no influx of crazed noobs, and no manic management of exploding threads full of madness.

:mrgreen:

Back