Dead Island 2

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/9/5793582/dead-island-2-release-date-e3-trailer

This game needs more love. Sure, the first had its issues, like not living up to the amazing trailer and some clipping and other annoyances, but in terms of sheer Co-Op fun, it is one of my favorites of last gen. Right there with Borderlands. Of course, the similarities in RPG elements and skill trees make it an easy cross-over.

I am wondering how they are going to get this game to "feel", though. Dead Island was all about survival with limited (good) weapons and limited guns and ammo, having to constantly repair your weapons and switch to other less than favorable weapons because your best weapons got degraded so quickly through use.

Moving the game from an isolated small island nation to the entire State of California would seem to remove that aspect of the game. Sure, California doesn't have as many guns as say... Texas :)D) but I wouldn't think it would be difficult to find an ample supply of zombie killing items.

I'm looking forward to it. Spring of 2015? If only RDR2 had also been announced, I'd have a target date for a next gen console.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/9/5793582/dead-island-2-release-date-e3-trailer

This game needs more love. Sure, the first had its issues, like not living up to the amazing trailer and some clipping and other annoyances, but in terms of sheer Co-Op fun, it is one of my favorites of last gen. Right there with Borderlands. Of course, the similarities in RPG elements and skill trees make it an easy cross-over.

I am wondering how they are going to get this game to "feel", though. Dead Island was all about survival with limited (good) weapons and limited guns and ammo, having to constantly repair your weapons and switch to other less than favorable weapons because your best weapons got degraded so quickly through use.

Moving the game from an isolated small island nation to the entire State of California would seem to remove that aspect of the game. Sure, California doesn't have as many guns as say... Texas :)D) but I wouldn't think it would be difficult to find an ample supply of zombie killing items.

I'm looking forward to it. Spring of 2015? If only RDR2 had also been announced, I'd have a target date for a next gen console.

Totally agree RancidLunchmeat! DI1 was AWESOME!

I was a bit surprised at this announcement though tbh. It feels alot like a Demon/Dark Souls situation with this and Dying Light now both being continued as two separate series originally from the same developer. I dunno how this will turn out now however without Techland.

I'm intriigued to know how they will change up the gameplay to make it more appealing. As in some ways, Dying Light's addition of parkpour would have been intuitively the most obvious innovation for the series. I wonder if it will end up a case whereby I'll no longer be able to go back to Dead Island after enjoying the freedom of movement in Dying Light.

I suppose we'll see

Loved playing co-op Dead Island on Steam, will definitely be looking at this one as well. One of my favorite all-time co-op games for sheer brutal mind-numbing fun.

Dead Island was an unexpected gem of a game. Really really good. Never played the other one that came after, which wasn't supposed ot be very good. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Rancid & I have been playing DI1 in Co-Op since February when I got it free with Games with Gold. We've just been playing it about once a week(sometimes less since I've now have my 6-mo grand-daughter living with us.) It's been a blast & it feels like it goes on forever LOL. We're still around 78% on the main story & we still have a whole bunch of side missions too. If it's OK with Rancid I wouldn't mind trying out 4-player Co-Op with a few guys from here. Send us a message if you see us both playing(usually Friday night or Saturday). I'm CDT & he's PDT.

Tommy McClain

Rancid & I have been playing DI1 in Co-Op since February when I got it free with Games with Gold. We've just been playing it about once a week(sometimes less since I've now have my 6-mo grand-daughter living with us.) It's been a blast & it feels like it goes on forever LOL. We're still around 78% on the main story & we still have a whole bunch of side missions too. If it's OK with Rancid I wouldn't mind trying out 4-player Co-Op with a few guys from here. Send us a message if you see us both playing(usually Friday night or Saturday). I'm CDT & he's PDT.

Tommy McClain

Ha. Yeah, well, it probably wouldn't take so long if it we didn't spend so much time talking just to chat and catch up and actually played the game. Or, if I spent less time taking cigarette breaks and beer refill runs. :)D).

It is a different experience playing through the game without any "modified" weapons (I put that in quotes because Dead Island allows you to modify weapons - that's a large part of the game, but if you ever search for Dead Island Weapon Mods, it comes up with all the hacks and weapons that have been modified outside of the natural game play because they are so abundant. They're equally as prevalent in Borderlands, btw, but Borderlands doesn't have an in-game way to modify weapons.), because when I played it through the first time, I was about halfway through the game at most before somebody gave me my first modified weapon. That was a pistol that didn't do a lot of damage, but the unlimited ammo aspect of the mod was really enough to break the game as it was intended to be played.

Either way, Azbat, you'd probably have been better off just asking if anybody wanted to join a romp with you, because as you are well aware: Nobody likes me and I have no friends! :)

Dead Island was an unexpected gem of a game. Really really good. Never played the other one that came after, which wasn't supposed ot be very good. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Riptide wasn't too bad at all really. It was originally dev'd as an expansion bit of DLC, but like Saints Row 3, ended up being reworked into a full-fledged sequel. It was mainly just too short, and both the story lacked as well as the variety in environments. Plus, riptide also missed out on the awesome intro. song, "who do you voodoo, b!tch!":mrgreen:

Plus, riptide also missed out on the awesome intro. song, "who do you voodoo, b!tch!":mrgreen:

Agree 100%, I love that song. Another thing DL1 had in common with BL, awesome intro songs. Those are two games that I always let the intro run (sometimes more than once :D) just to hear the song complete and get me right into the mood of the game.

Tommy McClain
I was about to get it with the GWG promotion, :/ but I missed it once again, as I am running out of space on my X360, and I need every single bit for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition.

I had to delete some of my games, even, just way too much for my 250GB Slim.

Cyan,

ProTip: Purchase the game from the xbox marketplace (xbox.com) and then delete it from your download queue before you even turn the console on. As long as you purchased the game during the time period, you can download it later outside the time period provided it hasn't been completely delisted from the marketplace.

It should still let you download it even after official delisting - just go into your download history (they really need several sorting schemes for that or even just a queue all - bloody rock band baldkavjna jalfjk adlf ajhdf lajl).

Yeah, I've "purchased" every free Games with Gold titles just by "purchasing" it from Xbox.com. You can always cancel the download. BTW, I have even "purchased" the 2 new Xbox One Games with Gold titles even though I don't even own an Xbox One. Nice since I'll have an instant game library once I do finally get one.

Tommy McClain

Cyan,

ProTip: Purchase the game from the xbox marketplace (xbox.com) and then delete it from your download queue before you even turn the console on. As long as you purchased the game during the time period, you can download it later outside the time period provided it hasn't been completely delisted from the marketplace.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about it. That way I can "download" and own a game before it taking up space in my HD.

I have a meagre 1GB free on my HD now with Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, plus it's two free DLCs -classic clothes and dresses and stuff) and the also free Tournament mode.

It should still let you download it even after official delisting - just go into your download history (they really need several sorting schemes for that or even just a queue all - bloody rock band baldkavjna jalfjk adlf ajhdf lajl).
That's why I have no interesting in perusing a search in my download history, too many Rock Band songs make things difficult and clumsy. Agreed with the sorting idea.

Yeah, I've "purchased" every free Games with Gold titles just by "purchasing" it from Xbox.com. You can always cancel the download. BTW, I have even "purchased" the 2 new Xbox One Games with Gold titles even though I don't even own an Xbox One. Nice since I'll have an instant game library once I do finally get one.

Tommy McClain
That's interesting to know, 'cos I heard -not at all confimed- that if you just purchase a game on xbox.com without downloading it for a month on your actual X360, the purchase expires after said month and is removed from your download links.

So it's not like you owned the game til you connect the console and actually download it.

I hope that isn't the case though. Is there a way to know it and test this out? Maybe checking the games you own on your download list?

Cheers Tommy.

That's interesting to know, 'cos I heard -not at all confimed- that if you just purchase a game on xbox.com without downloading it for a month on your actual X360, the purchase expires after said month and is removed from your download links.

So it's not like you owned the game til you connect the console and actually download it.

I hope that isn't the case though. Is there a way to know it and test this out? Maybe checking the games you own on your download list?

Cheers Tommy.

I don't think that's true at all. I went back & added my previous "purchased" games from my "Purchased History" to my Download Queue....

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/download/history

Didn't have a problem redownloading those I never downloaded. YMMV though. However, I think I would have heard something about 360 free games if that were true. XB1 free games might be a different story, but won't know until next month.

Tommy McClain

Not to change topics to get us back on topic (cough.. cough) but I hadn't seen this posted before:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-dead-island-2-stage-demo/2300-6419563/

It's an interview with the developers where they reveal some more interesting features of Dead Island 2, such as unique vehicles for each character class, removal of the annoying analog controller scheme, the fact that there will be more weapons because it's in Cali and has huge department stores (they mentioned chainsaws that you can mod), etc.

It's 11 minutes long, but it's a pretty good interview and adds more insight into what we can expect. They also repeatedly said visit them at PAX and hinted that vehicles can be specially modded as well.

Sounds like more and more fun to me!

Hmm.. Not sure how I feel about this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...dreaming-dead-island-2-embraces-the-slaughter

Sounds more like Dead Rising than Dead Island. That was the best part of Dead Island (before the modded weapons broke the game), that you were constantly running away from all the zombies and searching for new weapons because they degraded so fast, you're left picking up one piece of fruit for a measly half-bar of energy because otherwise you're going to die, etc.

There was a real sense of danger, it wasn't about "knocking zombies 60 feet in the air".

On the other hand, 8 player Co-Op sounds like a good time - even if there is still only 4 unique character builds. I guess they'll let you customize their appearance somehow in this game?

Oh, and I want to play as Rick Fury!

ESCAPE Dead Island

Not Dead Island 2, but looks like they are releasing this fall on 360 & PS3 only a single player story driven games that follows up the events in the original Dead Island. It's called Escape Dead Island & it looks quite a bit different than the others. First you're playing a whole new character that's vulnerable to the virus. This means you can't go bat & guns a blazing. You first start off with a screwdriver where you have to come up to the zombies from behind. So there's a little stealth action. Second, it looks like it's a 3rd person game & the story elements seem to play out of sequence to keep you in the dark just the main character. Almost has an Alan Wake meets Dead Island feel.

Here's the official reveal trailer...

Tommy McClain

Game looks good at this early stage in development... lots of geometry, not just in the surroundings, but the actual zombies look very detailed.

Delayed until 2016.

We have always set ourselves a big goal for Dead Island 2: to create the sequel that takes Dead Island to the next level. A game that takes what our fans tell us they love about Dead Island – multiple different characters to play with, co-op, and turning a paradise setting into a zombie slaughter melee – and a game that adds a ton more content and combat options on top of that.

And we wanted to have all of that that done for release in Spring 2015.

We have been looking at the game long and hard, and we have decided we didn’t reach that goal we set out to achieve quite yet. This is why we have decided to delay Dead Island 2 to 2016.

Right now we are focusing purely on development, and we will have more info to share at a later stage.

We know that our fans will be disappointed by this news, but by giving Dead Island 2 more time we are confident that everyone will get a better game to play as a result.

-Team Dead Island 2

Back