Arena Commander from Original Systems out now !

Because they're not nearly close enough to determine a release date yet? I'd assume they wouldn't announce a date until probably 6 months or closer to that actual date.

I'm an original backer with an Origin i300, I don't plan to fund more than that, the game has more than enough money and I fear that people buy a dream rather than a game...

I'll just highlight the first sentence in both my previous posts, because maybe I wasn't clear enough:

As if any company releases a release date until they are close to release? And the ones that do often end up having to cut content to make the release date, release a buggy game to meet the release date, or delay the game anyway making the release date useless.

This is going to feature an MMO-like experience with a single player campaign. A good MMO can take upwards of 4 years to complete. 2 years is barely scratching the surface for a quality AAA single player game.

COD titles were on 2 year development cycles with engines and assets that were reuseable and a much smaller scale than Star Citizen. Blizzard games have 4-6 year development cycles except for expansions.

You have some very unrealistic expectations. :)

Regards,
SB

Because they're not nearly close enough to determine a release date yet? I'd assume they wouldn't announce a date until probably 6 months or closer to that actual date.
As if any company releases a release date until they are close to release?

Who exactly announces a release date 6 months before the release itself?
Uncharted 4 and Tomb Raider, planned for holidays 2015, have had their release dates just now, about a year and a half before their release. The Witcher 3, releasing February 2015, had its release date disclosed in February 2013, two years before.
So apparently we're looking at 2016 at the least?

Please, try to find me a publisher or developer that announced a release date or release window (i.e. Spring 20xx, Holidays 20xx, whatever) just 6 months or less prior to the actual release.

I'm an original backer with an Origin i300, I don't plan to fund more than that, the game has more than enough money and I fear that people buy a dream rather than a game...
This. A hundred times this.
I get the feeling that each time they get another million the game will delay another 2 months, regardless of what Chris Roberts says.
Because we don't have a release date or release window.

This is going to feature an MMO-like experience with a single player campaign. A good MMO can take upwards of 4 years to complete. 2 years is barely scratching the surface for a quality AAA single player game.

COD titles were on 2 year development cycles with engines and assets that were reuseable and a much smaller scale than Star Citizen. Blizzard games have 4-6 year development cycles except for expansions.

You have some very unrealistic expectations. :)

Regards,
SB

Perhaps I still wasn't clear enough. Let me just re-quote myself again:

I wish they would give an actual RELEASE DATE or at least a release window that isn't just "it may come out in 2015".
Ok, so they know what they want to have on release, but where is the RELEASE DATE?

I never asked for the game to be made within two years. I never asked to for them to present a rushed-out and incomplete game.
I asked for a release date or a release window. That's all.

As long as they don't present some kind of timed objectives to the public, they could very well take a 2 year vacation now, get a small team to keep their investors (me. us..) distracted with some blog posts, availability of more digital ships to gather more money, some barely-playable demos, etc. and then just release the game in 2020 claiming it was in their plans all along.
They have no publisher to press them. Just a very large group of small investors that are too scattered to ever threaten them.

After two years and $51M into development they should be able to at least make an estimate of how much longer they will take. IMO, the only reason they don't share it is because they don't want to feel the fire in their ass if things start to delay.

Funny how they never seem to run out of "paid objectives", though. Give us more money and we'll do this, give us even more money and we'll do that. But timed objectives? Naaah we don't need those.

I agree that right now it seems like the game will be delayed into 2017. Not much faith for a 2016 release from what I've seen.

Funny how they never seem to run out of "paid objectives", though. Give us more money and we'll do this, give us even more money and we'll do that. But timed objectives? Naaah we don't need those.

The community wants to keep them going. They asked quite awhile ago (around 40m?) whether we (the community) wanted them to keep adding objectives and we apparently did. The money flowing in for access and ships hasn't really slowed down much and the community hasn't been in an uproar to make them stop so what should they do, say no we aren't going to accept anymore money because they don't want it? A lot of it is needed post-release as well to fund the massive servers required.

They have been very open with the community, and have listened to our suggestions and opinions.

Also games like U4 or TR have very specific deadlines and must meet goals by a specific holiday period to meet investor and publisher demands for peak sales period. Star Citizen just doesn't work that way like a normal AAA game development. You can't compare.

Who exactly announces a release date 6 months before the release itself?
Uncharted 4 and Tomb Raider, planned for holidays 2015, have had their release dates just now, about a year and a half before their release. The Witcher 3, releasing February 2015, had its release date disclosed in February 2013, two years before.
So apparently we're looking at 2016 at the least?

Please, try to find me a publisher or developer that announced a release date or release window (i.e. Spring 20xx, Holidays 20xx, whatever) just 6 months or less prior to the actual release.]

Blizzard. Bungie. 2 well known developers that do not announce a release date until 3-6 months before release. At least Bungie used to give a release "window" due to Microsoft requiring it. Blizzard, however, doesn't. Just sometime in the future or "when we're done."

I'll also bet you that stuff will be cut/buggy/unfinished in The Witcher 3 (just like Witcher 2 and 1), Tomb Raider, and all the other games with a hard launch window. Or they'll be delayed.

I'm also willing to bet that none of those companies stated a launch window within the first 2 years of development for their title (starting from pre-production and/or funding [crowd funding started Nov. 2012, developement team wasn't formed until after initial funding intiative started]similar to the standard you are holding for Star Citizen).

Witcher 3 started with a development team already in place, funding already in place, etc. The Witcher 2 came out in 2011. And developement on Witcher 3 probably started before that. Meaning that development for Witcher 3 is likely in the 4-5 year range. Your expectations (for Star Citizen) means that Witcher 3 should have had a release window announced back in 2012 or 2013, which didn't happen.

I'm sure we'll get a release window closer to when the title might be finished. But with the scope of their game I'm betting development will still be 4-6 years for the core game. Which means we should have a "release window" in another 1-3 years from now.

Regards,
SB

Release date for what ?

The solo campaign ? The PU ?

They already said if everything goes as plan early 2015 is when the first of the solo stuff will hit with the PU hitting the end of 2015

Concept Sale for the Aegis Reclaimer, I want! But $350 ouch! Damn big ship though. I think exploration and salvage would probably interest me more than dog fighting.

Whoa that looks cool. I wouldn't spend that much RL money on it, but it might just be the first ship I target for in game aquisition. I do like mining and salvaging.

I miss my drone ships, mining ships, and battleships from Eve Online.

Regards,
SB

Concept Sale for the Aegis Reclaimer, I want! But $350 ouch! Damn big ship though. I think exploration and salvage would probably interest me more than dog fighting.

I'm waiting for the mining ship. The new stuff is way to expensive.

I have an avenger I think I will melt and put it towards the mining.

The 890 jump goes on sale this Friday for $600 usd they are limited

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/186116/890-jump-concept-sale-plans/p1

Hey guys! I promised to keep the forums informed when we lock down plans for a concept ship sale. So, here goes: the Origin 890 Jump luxury spacecraft will be available starting on Friday. This will be a wave 3 concept sale, including the in-game items and LTI. The ship will run $600, and a limited number will be made available. The first allotment of 890 ships will go on sale during the CitizenCon livestream on Friday, followed by three additional allotments to cover backers in other time zones (specific times to be announced later in the week.) Tune in later in the week to hear more about the 890 Jump itself; we'll have stats, holoviewer, concept art and more ready for Friday... it's a big, sexy ship that would make a great organization headquarters.

Way to rich for my blood lol.

I want the mining ship but if its more than $300 I will sit out.

Well it seems like i'm the only one posting lol.

Today was citizen con

The Cutlass commercial was shown

The cutlass varients were also announced.

They are also live streaming them landing on a planet and walking around. Chris just said there is about 30 million polygons in the city scene they are showing. I will post it when they put it up. Looks really good even at this early level. Looks as good as ryse or the new infamous .

He just announced the road map

Late 2014 for Arena Commander 1.0
(earliest release first)
Early 2015 FPS module (they will be showing this at the end of the month during pax east)
PLanetside / social mod launch
Arena Commander 2.0 (multi crew ships)
Squadron 42 episode 1 (first 10 missions ) (full squadron 42 will be about 50 hours , 5 episodes released in roughly 3 month intervals )
Planet side expands to persistent universe Alpha (end of 2015)

October 10th of 2012 there were 7 citizens (by mistake ) 0$ raised 5developers and 3 ships were modeled

oct 10th 2013 270 thousand citizens 21 million in crowd funding 90 developers 17 ships modeled

October 10th 2015 615 thousand citizens 56 million in crowd funding and 280 developers 50 ships modeled .

As a thank you all this week you can test drive all 5 ships in arena commander .

Shows you how far this game has come in 2 years.

With the rest of the 890 jumps and the cutless varients we may even cross the 58m mark this weekend. We are at 56.78 million as I post this and we only had one wave of the $600 jump we still have about 2800 or so left for them to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

here is the live stage showing of the connie landing and the pilot getting out and walking around the city. There is some slow down and some glitches but it looks great and it sounds like we wont get to play it till at least the spring so there is plenty of time to optimize it and for more powerful hardware to come out !

lol I backed this game and I was like, hmmm. Not going to buy a PC until the game is out and the recommended setups are released. But man, this game looks insane

wow someone has responded !!!!!!!!

I'm playing it just fine on a radeon 7950 3gig , 16 gigs ddr 3 2133 ram and a fx 8150. So you should download it and give it a shot you can fly all the current playable ships this week till Saturday I believe.

we also hit another 2 m in funding this weekend. So we are over 58m now. I think before the end of nov we will be at 60m

we also hit another 2 m in funding this weekend. So we are over 58m now. I think before the end of nov we will be at 60m

Not surprising considering the cost of these ships! And apparently they sell lots of them!!!

BTW I read all your updates so don't stop posting. I just don't have anything to add since I don't know much about the game. And don't think it will be released in the next 2 years (late 2016 at the earliest IMO), but I do think it'll be worth the wait :smile:

Not surprising considering the cost of these ships! And apparently they sell lots of them!!!

BTW I read all your updates so don't stop posting. I just don't have anything to add since I don't know much about the game. And don't think it will be released in the next 2 years (late 2016 at the earliest IMO), but I do think it'll be worth the wait :smile:

Well that remains to be said however the Arena Commander dog fighting/ racing stuff is already very fun . I spend about 4-5 hours playing a week which is more than any game I've played so far.

I will keep posting for sure. Next big update will most likely be the end of the month with pax aussie

Lol I'm running a phenomII x4 with a GeForce 660 and 4gb of ram. My ability to hit 15fps is in question LOL unless interested in playing the 320X200
Version of it. Looks good though. Keep the posts coming I backed at 60 dollars and I'm just trying to clear the queue before this one arrives

Back