External vs internal PSUs *spawn

Oh, I'm with you on the Edison is an asshole train. He was also a thief, I might add. One of the earliest movie pirates IIRC, by stealing Georges Méliès "Voyage dans la Lune" and screening it in the US without permission (and keeping all the money too of course, alledgedly causing Méliès to go bankrupt...)

So you see all the evil wireless charging has led to! *shakes fist curmudgeon-like* :LOL:

Turning a piece of furniture into a giant docking station doesn't make it less than a power brick, a cable, a docking station... and a furniture around it to hide the mess. And it can only charge ONE device, at a very specific place. There's a cable coming out of that furniture and it connects to a wall socket... with a power brick.

That's what's funny about the OP, if you hide the cable & brick in your entertainment setup then it's no longer taking up space on the floor & being unsightly. The same can be said about wireless charger built into your nightstand. If it's hidden, then it can be better than having just a single wire to connect to your device. Some people prefer aesthetics & design over all other requirements. That's what I found funny about his 2 different points. They seem to be at odds with each other.

Personally I just find it an interesting conversation & I don't have a strong preference over another. I have cables all over the place in my home. They are out of the way, but they can be seen & don't look neat. I have a charging station for my 360 controllers. I have a single USB cable for my phone that can be used on a wall adapter, USB port or cigarette adapter. My laptop has a power brick just like my 360. If power supplies are always reliable then I wouldn't mind if they were built-in, but they eventually fail. It hasn't yet on my Oct-2008 mfg Elite model, but I've had to replace my 2008 Toshiba Satellite laptop brick 2 times already. In that case I'm glad I had a easy & cheap fix.

Tommy McClain

Real magnetic resonance (not the crap we see right now with phones) does work efficiently with short distances. The emitter coil only sees resistance if something resonate against it. The distance is limited by the size of the magnetic field, and I don't think they can solve that, but it does work.

Best solution is to oscillate the earth's magnetic field at 60Hz... free power for everybody! I think it would need a nucular explosion at the earth's core 60 times per seconds, I'll apply for a patent. :LOL:

It's the same thing. I imagine you never use remote controls?
FWIW I dont have a single remote control in the whole house, I dont think Ive had one this century. I just wanna say can we stop using the wireless power term as meaning 'wireless'. The device has to practically touch the charging device. To me 'wireless' is like Wifi or something. If its within 10-50meters or so its charging.

NOTE - I have a wireless charging phone (which of course I never charge wirelessly)

Even magnetic resonance is less efficient than a plain cable. Also, you need driver electronics and coils and so on costing money, resources and space inside your devices to make use of MR charging. And again, you need a plastic casing of course, so your stuff won't look very classy either.

The nexus 4 supports wireless charging, it's pretty nice, but by far the best solution is the universal micro USB standard, I have so many devices that use that I always have something plugged in...

Next to that, I like the Sony magnetic solution both as stand and cable..

It will always depends. If the external power supply makes a high pitched noise like my Xbox 360 S, I prefer it to be internal. If the internal power supply breaks due to excessive heat, I prefer it to be external.

new Broadcom chip will support all the wireless charging standards.

My note 3 charges just a tad bit slower on the pad then directly plugged in

Back