Rendering of Watch_Dogs

It really doesn't look that much different. Road is still wet from the rain, and puddles (with the usual missing reflections) are everywhere. WD always looks good in circumstances like that..
Save for the missing dust layers that seem to be everywhere, the game really doesn't look much worse on the PS4.

Quite frankly, I never really got why people were losing their shit when the game was announced in the first place. It always looked really freaking good, but I never thought it looked particularly amazing.

I must say that for me it looks vastly different! Like a generational leap...just my opinion of course.

But this shows on the other hand what we can expect in the next years...which is nice.

It really doesn't look that much different. Road is still wet from the rain, and puddles (with the usual missing reflections) are everywhere. WD always looks good in circumstances like that..
Save for the missing dust layers that seem to be everywhere, the game really doesn't look much worse on the PS4.

Quite frankly, I never really got why people were losing their shit when the game was announced in the first place. It always looked really freaking good, but I never thought it looked particularly amazing.

The fact that you have to qualify that they don't look that much different, means that they do and the final product falls short, otherwise we wouldn't even have this conversation.

The fact that you have to qualify that they don't look that much different, means that they do and the final product falls short, otherwise we wouldn't even have this conversation.
I'd say some of the changes were smart.

2013:
wd3bfkca.jpg

2014 (release):
watch_dogs_20140523_12fulz.png

The DOF effect in many of the early showings was way too heavy for my liking.

E3 builds are almost always a standalone version of the game and a dead end, where dirty fixes are commonly used to make the gameplay work. Sometimes the build could crash just from making a single wrong step or using a different weapon and so on. This E3 label is not proving anything...

E3 builds are almost always a standalone version of the game and a dead end, where dirty fixes are commonly used to make the gameplay work. Sometimes the build could crash just from making a single wrong step or using a different weapon and so on. This E3 label is not proving anything...

What an endless stream of denial :rolleyes:

The game is up and running with what you're calling a "dead end".
It's showing what the folks from Digital Foundry called "obvious CGI scenes".

What an endless stream of denial :rolleyes:

The game is up and running with what you're calling a "dead end".
It's showing what the folks from Digital Foundry called "obvious CGI scenes".

Go play the mod instead of looking at some handpicked screenshots of it. The DOF is horrid to the point of unplayability and while the lighting does look a lot better at certain times of day in specific parts of the city there are plenty of other times of day and parts of the city where it makes the game look far worse than the retail version (In the NW forest area it literally just gives a brown tint to the screen).

Also from what I have seen the framerate isn't that much different with these settings on (some people are reporting framerate increase but take that with a grain of salt) which tells me this stuff wasn't taken out due to performance constraints but because Ubi couldn’t iron out the visual problems these settings caused in time for release. I’ve heard from a couple different people that the game was a total buggy mess last October and all the extra time they had was spent on just making the gameplay functional. It wouldn't surprise me at all if back in 2012 this was their visual target but between then and 2013 it got shelved because the game itself didn't work and they decided to have a functional game over pretty graphics. This of course is assuming they ever intended to release the game with these settings and it wasn't just a hack job for a couple of demo reels.

Go play the mod instead of looking at some handpicked screenshots of it. The DOF is horrid to the point of unplayability and while the lighting does look a lot better at certain times of day in specific parts of the city there are plenty of other times of day and parts of the city where it makes the game look far worse than the retail version (In the NW forest area it literally just gives a brown tint to the screen).

Looks like you're talking about the edited cfg file and not the 4 days-old mod.

The guy is still finding a way to unpack all the stuff that was downgraded and adding even more features to the mod. Latest thing he found was "high quality rain drops".
He even found this gem among the code:

rlIeKTG.jpg

Again, all he's doing is enabling features that were already in the game code but were disabled.
It's impossible that this wasn't intentional.

In the meanwhile, Ubisoft's PR team isn't being very smart so the internet is falling pretty hard on them:
https://twitter.com/UbiTessa/status/478622295662297088

Last edited by a moderator:
Back