Predictions for E3 2014

• Thread starter Deleted member 86764
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TLoU was my game of the last gen. Excited to see where it goes next. It'll be a while though I imagine. Hoping they don't push the remaster back and it still comes out this summer

TLOU was about building up Ellie as the hero for the next game. Sort of like an origin story.

Thanks for that.
Hmmm....never really felt an attachment to her I could feel other as a protector for this one game. The gameplay for me also got a little stale, but I kind of feel that's true for most games of this type for me. I may change my mind if I ever get to finish it...hopefully it's not relegated to the other great games that I've never finished (Mass Effect, Bioshock, every Assassin Creed game, etc)

I think MS will end its conference with it's first set of native DX12 based games, and that they'll be sure to let everyone know which games are built ground up from DX12, everything shown before that is still leveraging DX11.2+.

I'm not sure what that means though, I just have a feeling it will happen. I'll only do this once since it's a predictions thread, and showcase my lack of knowing anything.

"Ridiculous Predication/Hopes and Dreams Hat On"
There's a part of me that believes in the reality that Nvidia & AMD needed a solution that would increase performance and power, without the need to increasing die size or shrinking further than it already is. Maybe they are running into a wall or something soon and all sorts of physics based problems coming up now.

So the push is to completely saturate the GPU; make it a game about combating heat, providing enough bandwidth, and providing the tools to ensure that the data was always in the right place at the right time to keep the GPU constantly busy and not stalled. Maybe DX12 assists in that; DX12 is all about hardware saturation.

According to this http://research.cs.wisc.edu/multifacet/papers/micro13_hsc.pdf from another thread it takes 700 GB/s to not be the bottleneck for 32 CUs. Yet AMD released the 290x that has 44 CUs with only 320 GB/s worth of available bandwidth. I can't ignore the the obvious fact that simple math would showcase that is only enough bandwidth to saturate 20 CUs according to that research paper, or in other words the CUs on the 290x are only running at below 50% saturation.

Coincidentally the X1 has 12 CUs and magically according to MS total system bandwidth at 192 + 68 GB/s which is exactly the amount to just be/not be the bandwidth to fully saturate 12 CUs. Missing 3GBs of RAM and the Kinect reservation on the GPU with the constant talk of a 'fully balanced system' looking at all sorts of bottlenecks, the numbers just seem to really be "balanced".

I recall reading that developers have mentioned that Mantle like APIs would be pushing the GPU much harder than before, because so many more draw calls would be going in than ever, we could see modern day GPUs overheat because their cooling solutions were not designed for fully saturated GPUs.

BKillian mentioned that esram was always part of the design decision and had nothing to do with trying to compensate the lack of GDDR5. I think maybe it's because they wanted to centralize where all the heat was going, 80% of all the heavy lifting is all done on a single chip making a cooling solution more simplistic. Just cool the chip hard, and the off die RAM chips could be cooled passively. The X1 has a massive heatsink and fan that you'd only find on an semi enthusiast gaming system, and that ultimately plays a role in supporting that future - I for some reason recall this quote from DF

Our sources concur that the February/March dev kits were indeed very loud indeed, but it wasn't due to over-heating - quite the opposite in fact. The thermal control algorithm - which monitors the heat output of the major chips on the motherboard and adjusts fan speed accordingly - simply wasn't implemented in the developing OS, and so to avoid damaging the hardware, the fans were set to 100 per cent all the time. This was resolved by a software update back in March that brought Xbox One to its current stealth-like state, and our understanding is that final development hardware - which is a complete match for retail silicon - started rolling out to developers early in July and remains extremely quiet.

Since I've had my X1, I've never once heard the fan, ever. I'm curious to know what 100% sounds like.

TL;DR X1 secret sauce is that massive heatsink.

2004 thru 2014, the Iphone, tablets and skinny jeans all say hello.... when was the last time a single title moved hardware? Titanfall gave XB1 a bump but it was brief, what other titles have a developer with similar reputation in play to do something bigger. It would have to be bigger to do anything meaningful.

Titanfall certainly had a chance to be a system seller, but 2 things prevented that.

1. Lack of a traditional single player storyline. Yes, it is multiplayer, but a lot of people play these games for the single player only (like me) or in addition to the multiplayer. Battlefield would never be in the position it is in now to challenge COD if it didn't include a single player campaign. And COD would sell a lot less if it didn't include a single player campaign.

2. More importantly it was also launched on PC and more importantly X360. If it was limited to Xbox One only or even Xbox One and PC, it would likely have moved a lot more systems than it did.

Regards,
SB

Thanks for that.
Hmmm....never really felt an attachment to her I could feel other as a protector for this one game. The gameplay for me also got a little stale, but I kind of feel that's true for most games of this type for me. I may change my mind if I ever get to finish it...hopefully it's not relegated to the other great games that I've never finished (Mass Effect, Bioshock, every Assassin Creed game, etc)

You didn't make it to Winter, did you? A lot of Ellie's growth really occurs in the back half of the game at which point it becomes clear the game is largely about Joel sharpening her into the kind of person who can survive in that world.

Titanfall certainly had a chance to be a system seller, but 2 things prevented that.

1. Lack of a traditional single player storyline. Yes, it is multiplayer, but a lot of people play these games for the single player only (like me) or in addition to the multiplayer. Battlefield would never be in the position it is in now to challenge COD if it didn't include a single player campaign. And COD would sell a lot less if it didn't include a single player campaign.

2. More importantly it was also launched on PC and more importantly X360. If it was limited to Xbox One only or even Xbox One and PC, it would likely have moved a lot more systems than it did.
Gotta agree with both these, I cant understand why MS paid all this money & then it also comes out on PC (whilst true its a MS platform but its not the same thing)
A couple more
3. Graphically it was terrible (most everyone can agree on)
4. It wasnt as good as the Hype (For such a hyped game it did die very quickly.. ppl not interested in playing after a month)

I think that 90% of COD TV/magazine/internet banner marketing is focused on its singleplayer campaign, its main characters and flashy set pieces, with MP promotions being placed on the web just to showcase that there will be some inovation there.

TLOU was about building up Ellie as the hero for the next game. Sort of like an origin story.
I agree. She went through a lot and got final emotional blow at the end when...
... even Joel lied to her. She got perfect origin story to get "hardened and more emotionally isolated" for the sequel.

But I'ts too early to think about sequel, that game will come out in 2-3 years.

Anybody want to wager how much time MS spends on Kinect games during E3?

I really want to do a Price is Right style - closest without going over wins, and I'm really itching to say absolute zero. But I think, somewhere in their presentation, they might show a little clip of one game or a mashup of a couple of them. Although very briefly.

I expect no more than 30 seconds spent by MS during their E3 presentation on Kinect games.

What say the rest of you?

You didn't make it to Winter, did you? A lot of Ellie's growth really occurs in the back half of the game at which point it becomes clear the game is largely about Joel sharpening her into the kind of person who can survive in that world.

Nope. I believe the place I got stuck in was a house with multiple of those mutated things coming at me (I think it may have been a basement).

Maybe I'll go back at some point to see what all the fuss is about. Unlike the OG Uncharted, I just wasn't as hooked to keep wanting to play.

It happens to me with other great games as well---never finished Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, any of the Bioshocks, Red Dead Redemption, GTAs, Ass Creeds, etc.

They're all on my "some day I'll finish it" list.

I really want to do a Price is Right style - closest without going over wins, and I'm really itching to say absolute zero. But I think, somewhere in their presentation, they might show a little clip of one game or a mashup of a couple of them. Although very briefly.

I expect no more than 30 seconds spent by MS during their E3 presentation on Kinect games.

What say the rest of you?

31 seconds:LOL:

That's how it's done right?

Forced to watch the show by misguided parents.

I always thought that those contestants that did the $1 dollar overs were A-holes---did I win?

They must have some other games in development for Kinect that they can show. If not, and they included Kinect in the package knowing only Fighter Within and Kinect Sports Rivals were the only games in development then WOW.

Two weeks! Love E3 week :love:

E3 prediction., all 3 big platform (Sony, Ms, Nintendo) announcing new handheld compatible with home console games.

achieved by:
Automatically render in low resolution,
cut fx

with principle like what has done in ENB but in reverse ( cut fx instead of adding) and Gedosato (forcing game runs in whatever resolution, including much lower resolution).

/me runs back to dreamland

EDIT:
running game in much lower resolution allow my 6watt windows 8 tablet to run watch dogs

Last edited by a moderator:
This more of a big wish than an actual prediction:

An adapter/grip for the Vita to provide better ergonomy and analog triggers for playing PS4 titles.

It should come together with a new synch mode (Second Screen Plus?) for the Vita+grip to be used just like the Wii U controller in certain games. For example, the Order 1886 turns HUD-less because we can see the map, objectives, stats, inventory, etc. in the Vita's screen.
This would be all kinds of win.

EDIT: Also, Square Enix shows Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch the Playstation E3 conference in theaters across NA

Why watch PlayStation’s E3 Press Conference on a puny browser window when you can see it on the silver screen? On June 9th, we’re inviting PlayStation fans in the US and Canada to experience the E3 press conference in a new way – live, on a massive screen in more than 40 movie theaters.

Join us and host Geoff Keighley for the PlayStation E3 Experience, featuring an HD simulcast of the PlayStation E3 Press Conference. Attendees will also see 30 minutes of extra content, including exclusive extended game footage and interviews with the world’s biggest game developers. And hey, if you show up, we might even cough up a few surprise gifts. Best of all, it’s free. Space is limited, so make sure to register for the event soon here: http://eventgrid.com/Custom/playstatione3

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...ress-conference-in-movie-theaters-nationwide/

Interesting.

Here's a prediction: One of the Xbox exclusives will be a sequel to State of Decay from Undead Labs, or they will announce that State of Decay will become available on Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back