Predictions for E3 2014

• Thread starter Deleted member 86764
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
MAG was broked IMO. Warhawk would make a much better basis for a game. I think it enjoyed far greater and longer lived popularity. 256 player* Warhawk++ instead of the mess of MAG.

* although I don't really understand the appeal of 256 players, because you only experience a tiny part of the game so it's like 16 vs 16 or 32 vs 32 in your little corner of the map.

Google shows Warhawk dev is abandoning consoles for mobile. http://lightboxinteractive.com/studio/

There was not much blocking you to get to other parts of the map , none if you were defending. If attackers could get past the first line of defense they could go everywhere as well and attack other platoons from behind.
The Appeal was the Kind of tactics that are only possible with larger Groups working together and a hierachy system.

While it was quirky in pracice esp. in the beginning (no real clan Support, maps tied to factions and other balancing issues),and later that the game got no Support from the dev (no more fixes,Servers shutting down, glitchers running free) the potential was amazing. And it was when the community started to organize battles and tournaments .

Many went to DUST514 later but that is even more broken imo. I hope with PS4 that at least some of the technical Problems are gone ,the Party System should help - maybe planetside can deliver the Kind of MM shooter I`d like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mattrick was just a PR pawn. ESRAM guy needs to be brought onstage for a lifetime unachievement award.

The Esram is the systems saving grace. It would have had it no matter what type of main ram was used. The limiting factor is the use of Ddr3 as opposed to Gddr5.
Last gen they used edram but with wide graphics memory as the main memory. With so many systems in the past using esram or edram you would think people would give up on all the embedded memory bashing. Oh well I can dream.

Last gen they used edram but with wide graphics memory as the main memory.
"Wide" might be a generous description.

The 360 would have had some fairly significant BW issues if Xenon and Xenos were sharing just the GDDR3. PS3 gives RSX access to a similar bus of its own, and it still has significant bandwidth issues.

Xenos was quite a powerful GPU when it launched, yet at that time there were PC graphics cards on the market featuring 50% more bandwidth than the 360's unified pool.

Ex-Gaffer Shinobi is hinting on twitter The Order is seeing a delay out of 2014. He says we'll know more on the 27th I believe (an NDA is up from a recent press event).

I would still expect it at E3 I suppose.

I guess he also says Quantum Break is 2015 (always expected for me, especially as they recently said the game has just entered full production).

Also from Shinobi, says the new Battlefield developed by Visceral will be at E3, tentatively titled Battlefield: S.W.A.T.

MAG was broked IMO. Warhawk would make a much better basis for a game. I think it enjoyed far greater and longer lived popularity. 256 player* Warhawk++ instead of the mess of MAG.

* although I don't really understand the appeal of 256 players, because you only experience a tiny part of the game so it's like 16 vs 16 or 32 vs 32 in your little corner of the map.

Google shows Warhawk dev is abandoning consoles for mobile. http://lightboxinteractive.com/studio/

Tbh I think it's good that Lightbox won't be doing another "****Hawk" game for Sony. Despite the greatness of Warhawk, Lightbox proved that they had no idea what made that game enjoyable to the fans when they put together StarHawk. The latter game I hyped up soo bad, and wanted so much to be WarHawk2. Ended up being WarHawk0.5 reskinned and with the build&battle system (which admittedly I found excellent but a flawed implementation).

I think Sony needs to contract two new studios, one to make WarHawk:MAG, and the other to make StarHawk 2 fixing all the problems of the first StarHawk (by effectively being Battlezone 2: StarHawk edition).

Starhawk's build and battle was okay but had a duff implementation, and didn't work great for competitive multiplayer (I think all these game designers overestimate the gaming populace when they design their awesome teamwork games!). It was great fun in coop though when you could build a castle, but then Lightbox gimped that and took the game we wanted to play away from us. Yay for 'updates'.

But keeping this more on topic, for announcement we might well get someone offering newer, bigger battles. It won't be Lightbox. It also won't be Zipper Interactive, makers of SOCOM and MAG, as they've been closed. Who would develop such a game?

Starhawk's build and battle was okay but had a duff implementation, and didn't work great for competitive multiplayer (I think all these game designers overestimate the gaming populace when they design their awesome teamwork games!). It was great fun in coop though when you could build a castle, but then Lightbox gimped that and took the game we wanted to play away from us. Yay for 'updates'.

But keeping this more on topic, for announcement we might well get someone offering newer, bigger battles. It won't be Lightbox. It also won't be Zipper Interactive, makers of SOCOM and MAG, as they've been closed. Who would develop such a game?

Had we not recieved the news that Stig's Team at SSM had had their project cancelled I would have said them, since their's was rumoured to be an online multiplayer shooter with vehicular combat.

Again with a pinch of salt, but I'd heard that Stig's game was very very very (eerily) similar to Destiny. And after the latter had been revealed, when Stig & Team couldn't come up with a good enough concept with which to rebrand and reskin their game, Sony decided to shelve it, again due to the fact that they already had an exclusive marketing deal with Acti/Bungie in place for their game. Eitherway it's a damn shame, considering so far Destiny even hasn't shown itself to be all that interesing to me.

Back on topic though, Sony still has Sony Bend, who have proven adept at making great shooters. Also Guerrilla Cambridge? Sony could even contract Insomniac, since I don't believe their deal with MS precludes them from working with any other Pub with their other teams.

From Thuway:

I'm not sure it's in Microsoft's best interests to buy out more 3rd party games. It's only going to hack off the larger population of PS4 owners.

Shouldn't they instead have spent more on 1st parties?

Edit: I can see it happening though.

I'm not sure it's in Microsoft's best interests to buy out more 3rd party games. It's only going to hack off the larger population of PS4 owners.

Shouldn't they instead have spent more on 1st parties?

Edit: I can see it happening though.

So if MS bought the studio it would be fine but they don't want to anger PS4 owners by just securing the exclusive? And why don't they want to upset PS4 owners?

Would you say that paying for exclusivity for games originally planned to be multiplatform woos gamers on different systems?

Example: if Microsoft paid for COD to appear on their system alone (which I don't think even MS can afford), it wouldn't make me, a PS4 owner, more inclined to buy their system. It will probably annoy me and many other PS4 gamers immensely. If you consider that there are more people playing PS4, that's a larger proportion of upset gamers.

Would you say that paying for exclusivity for games originally planned to be multiplatform woos gamers on different systems?

Example: if Microsoft paid for COD to appear on their system alone (which I don't think even MS can afford), it wouldn't make me, a PS4 owner, more inclined to buy their system. It will probably annoy me and many other PS4 gamers immensely. If you consider that there are more people playing PS4, that's a larger proportion of upset gamers.

wtf ...

So, in this universe of yours, it's all about getting people to come back from PS4 and not getting sales from the 100+ million gamers that haven't bought a console yet?

wtf ...

So, in this universe of yours, it's all about getting people to come back from PS4 and not getting sales from the 100+ million gamers that haven't bought a console yet?

No, I'm more thinking that general negativity is already pretty high and that's having an adverse effect on their sales. Best not upset more gamers, which they've already done a pretty good job of the past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back