Lords of the Fallen: [PS4, XO]

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Mod edit:
LotF is a Dark Souls looking game, going by this trailer, for next-gen.

Mod note to mod self edit : it's current gen now!

Not many details. They're aiming for 1080 though are struggling to hit that on XB1.
/Mod edit

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/re...pcoming-rpg-lords-of-the-fallen/1100-6419150/

Achieving 1080p resolution for upcoming RPG Lords of the Fallen is proving a to be a tougher task on Xbox One than PlayStation 4, according to developer CI Games. Executive producer Tomasz Gop said in a new interview that the studio is aiming for 1080p for both versions, but so far the results are better for Sony's new console.

"We're working very hard right now to deliver PS4 and Xbox One in 1080p but I can't confirm whether it's possible," Gop told IGN. "It's probably easier for me to confirm it'll happen for PlayStation 4, because it appears on this one we're almost nailing it and pretty much there. For Xbox One though, it’s slightly tougher and we’re still working on it, so I can't confirm that yet."
PR speak; PS4 is 1080p and XB1 maybe 720/900/960p ...so the trend continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange you'd open a thread about a new game simply to highlight the (potential) difference between the two versions. Why not talk about the game itself instead?

Strange you'd open a thread about a new game simply to highlight the (potential) difference between the two versions. Why not talk about the game itself instead?

There was no thread on it? The video footage seems ok ...gameplay stay tuned.

Same here, I've never heard about this game before. That art style looks fine to me.

Seems to have a lot of similarities with Dark Souls. Looks quite interesting in a brutally punishing kind of way.

There was no thread on it?
But you're not discussing the game, only the resolution differences that'd belong in one of the other tech threads (although it's fairly tired 'news' by now IMO). A game thread should chiefly be about the game, started by someone who's interested in the game and wants to share it. They tend to start with a screenshot or video and some excited, "can't wait for this one"s, or at least a cautious, "has potential."

Is this a game you like the look of? Have you been following it? What's it about??

I'll do the thread a service and update the OP.

Just to pour a bit of cold water on any enthusiasm. The game is being developed by CI Games. Have a look at their resume.

If I was a betting man I'd hazard a guess this is going to end up as a sub-standard Dark Souls clone. Their metacritic scores seem to hover around the 50-60 mark.

What is this game? A fighter? A hack and slash? The trailer looks ok graphically, but I hope there's a bit more to the gameplay than what was shown (which looks like a bazillion other boss battles we've seen before).

Last edited by a moderator:
The game looks pretty good, I'll wait for reviews before purchasing.

Yep looks pretty good graphically, as does the recent Dragon Age Inquisition trailer. Obviously looks like a bit of a Dark Souls knockoff in gameplay/style.

The guy quoted in the OP apparently commented in IGN comments as well

Hey Guys,
I can understand IGN making a catchy title out of this, so no big deal. Still, for the record - we ARE working hard to make LotF run 1080p on both platforms.

Also, I kinda hoped we could mention the topic of some cool console features that I've talked over with Luke yesterday (Luke, please correct me if I'm wrong and we haven't touched it). One of the ideas we have, is painting the runes on your face and making the game recognize it in a ways that might, for example, give you a buff for the bossfight, etc. Just an example and maybe it's just me, still I thought it might be more interesting than the "resolution wars". :)

And one more thing - I'm really sorry if my words made me jump into middle of fanboy wars. Didn't mean that. :(

Thanks!
TG.

Hmm, i wonder if this is indicative of the relationship between FROM and namco.
Namco want more of the Dark Souls pie and FROM want to maintain the status-quo? Perhaps FROM want more?

FROM publish Dark Souls in Japan btw, Namco publish elsewhere and i think FROM own the IP.

Concerning this game I am conflicted, the video seemed both good and bad, though I am unable to pinpoint exactly what i found bad about it.
Something just feels "off".

Most places I have seen are billing this as a RPG. I hope it has realtime combat and not any turn based stuff. I cant watch the video on my phone. Does anyone know what type of combat they are using?

Most places I have seen are billing this as a RPG. I hope it has realtime combat and not any turn based stuff. I cant watch the video on my phone. Does anyone know what type of combat they are using?

It looks like regular hack and slash with blocks and special moves. Not turn based at all, it does look like a very Dark Souls style game.

I actually never watched the vid in the OP before. I was going off a different commentary vid where a guy fought a knight and such.

The one in the OP is even more impressive graphically. This shows what can be done when we start going next gen only. It's rather exciting for the future. Plus sebbbi's recent comment that this gen will see even more intra-gen inprovement than usual in several years due to code needing to be completely rearchitected to truly take advantage GCN.

Just to pour a bit of cold water on any enthusiasm. The game is being developed by CI Games. Have a look at their resume.

If I was a betting man I'd hazard a guess this is going to end up as a sub-standard Dark Souls clone. Their metacritic scores seem to hover around the 50-60 mark.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Even the mighty Naughty Dogs built their empire on the shitheap foundation that is Way of the Warrior.
Not saying your scepticism is unfounded of course, but this does look pretty promising indeed. A Dark Souls type of game on my PS4? Fuck yeah, I'm so down with that idea.
Hopefully that crappy riffage in the trailer isn't indicative of the game's ost, by the way. I think one of the best ideas the Souls games introduced was the almost complete omission of music during gameplay. Takes a really strong sound design to compensate for that of course, but the Souls games are second to none in that regard.

Hm, now that I've watched a 9 minute clip on IGN I'm definitely more sceptical. That first boss fight really looked like a limp and toothless version of what you're squaring off against in Dark Souls. Sure, there were patterns and the dude probably hits hard, but given his pitiful range as well as complete lack of ferocity and speed, it doesn't really seem to matter much.

I was definitely more excited about this game when all I knew about it was that key art of the hills formed by the hand of a fallen god and the promise that it was supposedly heavily influenced by The Witcher 2.

Yep looks pretty good graphically, as does the recent Dragon Age Inquisition trailer. Obviously looks like a bit of a Dark Souls knockoff in gameplay/style.

The guy quoted in the OP apparently commented in IGN comments as well

I'm a bioware sucker ;) been so since BG1. I'll buy DA3 without reviews despite how horrendous both TOR and DA2 were.

ME3 was fine by me, the ending had more to be desired, but I still enjoyed it. But if I get burned one more time on DA I'm done with Bioware games until it goes on sale.

From what I see sword play looks alright; as everyone is suggesting very Dark Souls like, we didn't really see the guy take much abuse or damage, so not really sure if all this additional movement and what not is really necessary or if the game could be played more recklessly like Ryse. At the end of the day I'm no masochist, so hopefully it won't be as hard as Dark Souls.

I still liked Ryse btw ;P For what it was, when I finally understood how the game was meant to be played, it did make me want to fight cleaner and setup better executions.

Back