Fable Legends. And its natural lighting.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
The images show the Global Illumination technology featured in the game.

I wonder if they are going to use the famous Mega Meshes technology they have invented time ago but polys wise it doesn't seem to be outstanding. (it might be also due to the fact that the pictures are so high-res...)

HnfUlC8.jpg

viIGELi.jpg

sIbipUD.jpg

Non Global Illumination:

Arch_Layers_zoomed_directOnly.jpg

Same scene with Global Illumination: Mod edit - replaced with image of full GI, not just skylight

NQ1ODwj.jpg

More... No GI:

http://www.lionhead.com/media/28719/Arch_Layers_justAmbientCube.jpg

GI:

http://www.lionhead.com/media/28718/Arch_Layers_final.jpg

More info and pictures here:

http://www.lionhead.com/blog/2014/april/17/dynamic-global-illumination-in-fable-legends/

Lighting may be fine, but geometry and textures look horrendous compared to most AAA current-gen games.

Lighting may be fine, but geometry and textures look horrendous compared to most AAA current-gen games.

Yeah the lighting looks OK'ish but the textures and geometry are appalling for this gen.
Maybe it's because of the resolution fully exposing the game's naughty bits.

Still figuring out what's going on with those little boulders by the right bottom of the last screengrab though.

Look at the resolution on those screens. Those aren't in-game grabs.

I'd like to see how this lighting looks in motion with some dynamic lights. Screens look ok, but I'm guessing their some kind of PC alpha.

The top 3 pics look pretty damn good to me as far as lighting and most of the textures. The texture on the stone the creature is standing on in the 2nd pic looks really blurry. the bottom 2 pics have jaggies but the top 3 dont have any in my browser. In fact the top 3 look like supersampled bull shots.

Looking at the linked article, that last inlined pic is the wrong one - that's just direct lighting + ambient sky lighting, not the full GI solution they're using.

The final result is this one:

NQ1ODwj.jpg

(Those three shots are all zoomed crops from this scene, with various parts of the lighting pipeline disabled).

There are more shots in the article (including some programmer art examples of the tech handling stuff like indirect specular reflections, and emissive materials), along with some details of the technique they're using (it's based on Crytek's Light Propagation Volumes) so I'd recommend reading it.

The whole image is pixellated like that for some reason.
They're zoomed in! They're crops showing closeups from the full frame. And Cyan's choice doesn't show the ground-light either, only the sky light. For those getting confused, I'll try hotlinking the original...

Arch.jpg

Very lush and detailed screenshot of a WIP, very pretty, although possibly a bullshot given how clean it is. We won't know until later. If fully dynamic and the shading on the foliage responds to objects correctly, it'll look pretty gorgeous in motion. You could have sneaking enemy given away by the occlusion of the translucent light through grass, for example.

oh GOD!! Can't wait to see the actual gameplay of this Fable Legends. too bad it's coming next year!! so sad :'(. Been playing this series on my classic Xbox. But hopefully, Lionhead studio will do it right with this game. It has to be PERFECT!! The gameplay, the online multiplayer and the most importantly, the GFX!!! Wohoooo!! :D

Back