AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

It's 204 GB/s, 109 GB/s when running pure reads or pure writes, and 204 GB/s peak if using the interface in both directions to its maximum capacity. In the fully-loaded scenario, there is a bubble on the write path every 8 cycles.
This has been covered in the console threads since this is a console-specific issue.

With banking, it is possible to run multiple accesses from storage, even if the individual storage arrays cannot handle more than one access at a time.

So Richard Huddy is back at AMD. My theory is that he was an AMD secret agent sent to Intel to gather their graphics secrets, then went back to AMD realizing he had nothing to learn from the blue team on that front. Should have sent a CPU guy...

So Richard Huddy is back at AMD. My theory is that he was an AMD secret agent sent to Intel to gather their graphics secrets, then went back to AMD realizing he had nothing to learn from the blue team on that front. Should have sent a CPU guy...
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Now seems quite an exciting time for Richard Huddy and his skill-set to be back at AMD, what with Mantle, upcoming DirectX 12, and the console design wins.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36527451&postcount=78

If the 500mm2+ GPU is Fiji we have interesting times coming around Q4 this year.
5jWzHqF.jpg
eGTouLI.jpg

Are blocks possibly 100million transistors?
The numbers work, roughly, for the GPUs. Are the DTV/HD much more simple that they allow much higher density?

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...og/a-review-of-tsmc-28-nm-process-technology/
The fourth and final 28 nm process offered by TSMC is the HPM technology. This process is targeted at mobile applications and apparently will support both high performance transistors and low power transistors on the same die, thus enabling higher performance mobile devices, while continuing to improve power performance, which is critical in battery powered gadgets. TSMC claims the technology can provide better speed than 28 nm HP while giving similar leakage power to 28 nm LP. The wide performance/leakage coverage apparently makes 28 nm HPM ideal for applications from networking, tablet, to mobile consumer products.

One could see that working for GPUs too?

Xbox One SOC is an HPM chip, so yes.
Yes, but the Xbox One isn't the kind of chip that you push to extremes. If the unknown chip in question is a big die GPU running at the usual high clock speeds, and this is indeed HPM, then what's the point of having a super fast process?

It's not that it's just a super fast process, it also has better power numbers especially leakage. For a very large die, leakage will be a significant factor and since we're already pushing hunderds of watts for the GPU, anything that increases performs per watt is good.

It's not that it's just a super fast process, it also has better power numbers especially leakage. For a very large die, leakage will be a significant factor and since we're already pushing hunderds of watts for the GPU, anything that increases performs per watt is good.
I know HPM is better wrt leakage. But that doesn't help you if it has a higher Vcc (does it?) which results in higher dynamic power. And AFAIK its speed is slower too: it's not a super fast process compared to the fastest no hold barred process. And there's no point in making a super large die with a slower process.

Edit: according to the TSMC table, HPM has similar speeds as HP, but Vcc is 0.9 vs 0.85V.

Maybe that's sufficient...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know HPM is better wrt leakage. But that doesn't help you if it has a higher Vcc (does it?) which results in higher dynamic power. And AFAIK its speed is slower too: it's not a super fast process compared to the fastest no hold barred process. And there's no point in making a super large die with a slower process.

Edit: according to the TSMC table, HPM has similar speeds as HP, but Vcc is 0.9 vs 0.85V.

Maybe that's sufficient...

Hawaii is 4XXmm² (I forget how much exactly) and already very close to the 300W limit at 1GHz. So perhaps this even bigger chip is meant to be run at somewhat lower clock speeds, at which point HPM makes sense.

Or maybe the processes have evolved since they were introduced and HPM is now a better option at 1GHz than it used to be.

Hawaii is 4XXmm² (I forget how much exactly) and already very close to the 300W limit at 1GHz. So perhaps this even bigger chip is meant to be run at somewhat lower clock speeds, at which point HPM makes sense.

Or maybe the processes have evolved since they were introduced and HPM is now a better option at 1GHz than it used to be.

There might be architectural changes lowering power consumption, too.

if finfets offer there best performance/power @ ~0.7 volts and your already power constrained it does make sense to start the process of targeting that over 2-3 generations (backend of 28 , 20 and then finally finfet 16).

Back