Nintendo GOing Forward.

Or maybe they just can't churn out enough first party titles to fill out the library.

Maybe look at producing Mario kart every year. Works for COD.

Or maybe they just can't churn out enough first party titles to fill out the library.
To re-iterate Shifty's point. If your platform is easy to develop for and on par (or close) with the competition in terms of performance then third parties are more likely to support it and the onus isn't on solely on Nintendo to make it appealing.

But I don't think Nintendo can play the same multi platform game that Sony and MS have been playing.

What percentage of total COD sales would Nintendo eek out? Maybe 20%?

They'd get crumbs unless there was some huge performance advantage over the other two, things that on casual glance people would notice.

We know Nintendo won't play the power game.

But I don't think Nintendo can play the same multi platform game that Sony and MS have been playing.
I would agree, at least not with their current hardware.

I've never played COD on Nintendo hardware but I'd bet a chicken dinner that the experience is subpar compared to the other platforms, particularly multiplayer.

They need to compete with Microsoft and Sony rather than differentiate themselves out of the game entirely - which is my take on what they've achieved with Wii U.

I would agree, at least not with their current hardware.

I've never played COD on Nintendo hardware but I'd bet a chicken dinner that the experience is subpar compared to the other platforms, particularly multiplayer.

They need to compete with Microsoft and Sony rather than differentiate themselves out of the game entirely - which is my take on what they've achieved with Wii U.

What has been missing from COD's multiplayer on Wii U? I have both Ghost and Black Ops 2, and they are both 100% intact. If you have a decent community like we do at TNE, then having plenty of friends to play with is no problem. The number of people playing online is nowhere near as high, Ghost was down in the hundreds the other day. Some people will gripe that the framerate isn't quite as solid compared to the other versions, but its still better than most shooters that aren't COD. So other than a few game modes having empty lobbies, COD on Wii U has been on par with the other versions. If you like buying DLC, that too of course is absent. Black Ops amd MW3 were great fun on the Wii if you like IR controls like I do. Good faithful ports, Treyarch did good work on those ports to Wii.

They'd get crumbs unless there was some huge performance advantage over the other two, things that on casual glance people would notice.

We know Nintendo won't play the power game.

If the Wii U was as powerful as the xbox one or the PS4 and had, because of it, the multiplatform games it´s lacking today, many people would buy it, because the exclusives would be more appealing to them (marios and zeldas).

If the Wii U was as powerful as the xbox one or the PS4 and had, because of it, the multiplatform games it´s lacking today, many people would buy it, because the exclusives would be more appealing to them (marios and zeldas).
If the Wii-U was equal to the XB1 in performance it would be a much easier purchase for me, as it stands I will be waiting for a much cheaper model, if I even get one at all.

Some people will gripe that the framerate isn't quite as solid compared to the other versions, but its still better than most shooters that aren't COD. So other than a few game modes having empty lobbies, COD on Wii U has been on par with the other versions. If you like buying DLC, that too of course is absent. Black Ops amd MW3 were great fun on the Wii if you like IR controls like I do.

So the framerates aren't as consistent, some of the lobbies are empty and there's no DLC but you don't understand why I described the Wii U experience as subpar compared to PlayStation and Xbox.

Ok.

Here's the thing....even if Nintendo had the most powerful console would the majority of players buy the console to play AAA online games?

Online friends are a big factor in online games for many people. Right now I have ZERO online friends for any Nintendo console so what would be the incentive for me to buy this hypothetical Nintendo console? Sure it will have slightly better graphics than SONY's and MS's console for multiplatform games but it wouldn't have AAA exclusives like those two consoles. Why would I buy the Nintendo version of a multiplatform game that my friends play on a SONY or MS console? :???:

The only way I could see this working out somewhat well is if they had the most powerful console and AAA exclusives. I can't see EA or Activision or any of the big software companies release AAA exclusives on a Nintendo console...not even timed exclusive. I just can't see these games selling better on a Nintendo console than a SONY or MS console. When you look at 1st party AAA exclusive games on SONY and MS consoles they are usually pushing the envelope...I just can't see Nintendo doing this given they don't have any IPs that benefit from that type of technology advancement. I guess the next Zelda and Metroid could be good candidates but I'm not really sure if Nintendo would actually push the envelope for those IPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the thing....even if Nintendo had the most powerful console would the majority of players buy the console to play AAA online games?

Online friends are a big factor in online games for many people. Right now I have ZERO online friends for any Nintendo console so what would be the incentive for me to buy this hypothetical Nintendo console? Sure it will have slightly better graphics than SONY's and MS's console for multiplatform games but it wouldn't have AAA exclusives like those two consoles. Why would I buy the Nintendo version of a multiplatform game that my friends play on a SONY or MS console? :???:

The only way I could see this working out somewhat well is if they had the most powerful console and AAA exclusives. I can't see EA or Activision or any of the big software companies release AAA exclusives on a Nintendo console...not even timed exclusive. I just can't see these games selling better on a Nintendo console than a SONY or MS console. When you look at 1st party AAA exclusive games on SONY and MS consoles they are usually pushing the envelope...I just can't see Nintendo doing this given they don't have any IPs that benefit from that type of technology advancement. I guess the next Zelda and Metroid could be good candidates but I'm not really sure if Nintendo would actually push the envelope for those IPs.

There is another way, leveraging their Handheld and Console audience together, give developers 1 dev kit for both units (the Wii U dev kit is very cheap, and comes with unity so there is no barrier here for even small developers) If developers can code once to both platforms and simply change settings (yes including AI settings) to target both audiences, it would mean a more interesting target for developers, especially those multiplatform games that are going to eventually target mobile too (as the handheld will have average at best specs for this segment) That is how you make 3rd parties interested again. It wouldn't matter too much what the specs are, as long as the architecture is there and it is at least comparable to PS4 specs.

The above market would likely be bigger than either other console, so developers would have another Wii situation but with modern hardware where they don't have to jump through hoops. If you think about it, PS4 is going to be supported into 2020 most likely. Even if the PS5 comes out in 2018, this means Nintendo not only has a year start with their own box (at least) but that they can ride out PS4/XB1 ports, I'm not saying it's 100% going to work, but it's their best chance to really gain back 3rd party support.

They also need to increase their own title output by 50% (atleast) Looking back at 2013, Nintendo released ~25 titles across Wii U and 3DS in north america. 50% increase is ~38 titles a year, this would be a huge increase in output, and completely doable thanks to a move to 1 architecture, especially if that architecture is simply scaled. A lot of these titles could actually be applied to both platforms at the same time or within the same year at least. Mario Kart would be a title they should push to both platforms together, allowing cross play for their platforms would also be a nice incentive that they currently do not have. This doesn't include the exclusives they do get (such as monster hunter 4) but is an example of how they would be able to leverage both platforms to increase their content and also attract 3rd parties back. Between the 3DS and Wii U, there is over 50 Million users since March 2011. Both platforms sold horrifically in their first year as well, so I do like to think of this as the "Nintendo base" Something they can expect to exceed if they execute correctly with their next 2 platforms. This is something 3rd parties will look at and decide that it's just too big to ignore, especially when they can use the same engines they are already working with on these platforms. That is paramount to this all working of course.

It's not a full proof plan, but it is what Nintendo has basically said they are doing, if they use AMD's APUs it will be that much simpler to bring 3rd parties aboard, but they could achieve this in a Nintendo way by simply increasing Wii U's Cores, shaders and clock speed. (I do expect them to upgrade the GPU either way, the AMD component here doesn't look like unique hardware, it just has extra unique parts bolted onto VLIW5)

Would a 65W A-10 7600K be competitive with PS4? What about a 100W 7850K?

No, but a large portion of the wattage here goes to the much bigger/faster CPU. Stripping it away for their low power CPU, would leave a lot of TDP left to reach much higher in the GPU. However you are talking about the same architecture and process nodes, so PS4 is already that system. In 2016 though, DDR4, GCN2.0 and (arm/x86)K12 will be on the market, not to mention 14nm process will be ready for AMD, that is a huge difference that could lead to a custom 65watt APU out performing the PS4.

I also wonder if adopting the 8x Jaguar cores was a way of making things easier for devs used to the 1 PPE + 7 SPEs formula. I think a 3.0 GHz Richland or Steamroller module would've been more relevant though, assuming the modules + graphics TDWs were not too much to handle.

I also wonder if adopting the 8x Jaguar cores was a way of making things easier for devs used to the 1 PPE + 7 SPEs formula. I think a 3.0 GHz Richland or Steamroller module would've been more relevant though, assuming the modules + graphics TDWs were not too much to handle.
Could it be due to the GPU being on 28nm and Steamroller wasn't ready on time?

So the framerates aren't as consistent, some of the lobbies are empty and there's no DLC but you don't understand why I described the Wii U experience as subpar compared to PlayStation and Xbox.

Ok.

I think the experience delivered in the Wii U version is solid, and shouldn't be labeled a gimped game. Not everyone wants to buy $15 map packs, and even on the other consoles, 85% of the players are typically playing either TDM, Free for All, or Domination, all three have plenty of people playing on Wii U. Like I said, the framerate is still as good if not better than Killzone Shadowfall or Titanfall, I don't see anyone docking those games big points for their framerates. Wii U also support offscreen play, and two player co-op that isn't split screen, so those are two features that other versions do not support. COD's framerate on 360 and PS3 weren't always so stable, look at the PS3 versions of Modern Warfare 1 & 2, and Black Ops, the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 and Ghost run better than those games did on the PS3 by a large margin. Are the Wii U version slightly inferior to the other consoles? Perhaps, but that doesn't automatically make it garbage or unplayable like some people who love to hate on Nintendo would leave you to believe.

I'm pretty sure the COD map packs sell well if they didn't,
then I don't think they'd be so willing to drop so many map packs
with each release.
And I would imagine for a hardcore COD guy, missing out on DLC
is missing out on vital content. I think that goes for the other titles
that have hit the Wii U but dropped with no DLC.

I'm pretty sure the COD map packs sell well if they didn't,
then I don't think they'd be so willing to drop so many map packs
with each release.
And I would imagine for a hardcore COD guy, missing out on DLC
is missing out on vital content. I think that goes for the other titles
that have hit the Wii U but dropped with no DLC.

For some people, yes, the lack of DLC is a deal breaker. But when evaluating what comes on the disk, the Wii U build of BO2 and Ghost is solid. Is every shooter on the market that doesn't have DLC suddenly gimped? No, DLC's quality is evaluated on its own. Crap DLC doesn't suddenly make a good game bad. The retail version of BO2 and Ghost are very comparable to the other versions. If the Wii U versions were missing maps, weapons, characters, and killstreaks, then yes, it would be gimped. Again, comparing what comes on the disk, DLC is a separate review.

For some people, yes, the lack of DLC is a deal breaker. But when evaluating what comes on the disk, the Wii U build of BO2 and Ghost is solid. Is every shooter on the market that doesn't have DLC suddenly gimped?
But we're not comparing shooter DLC, the discussion was why far fewer people buy COD on Wii U than PlayStation or Xbox. You yourself provided, what are likely the key reasons for this. Less solid frame rates, some lobbies being empty and no DLC. This was a branch from the discussion about what Nintendo could do to attract more players/buyers. Better multiplayer foundations would be a good start.

i think not just better multiplyer,but Nintendo need to provide basic "Good" online service.

i dont have a wii u but i have a 3ds, and the online service is abysmal.

It have useless web browser,
hard to setting WiFi connection,
unable to buy 3DS games from PC/cellphone,
the overly long horizontal list and submenu in eshop,
the inconsistencies of demo (some only have 5 use, some unlimited, etc).
why game are locked to hardware instead of account login

and of course... the bloody region lock.
why cant i just create JP US EU account freely and access that region specific stores?

and pirates has been freely play game from any region since last year i think :(

Back