Rendering tech of Infamous Second Son

ultragpu

Banned
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...am-cpu-and-gpu-compute-to-make-our-jaws-drop/
The pdf isn't available for public atm for some reason but at least we have some nice slides here to see. Their use of compute looks quite extensive along with Indirect diffuse lighting and Indirect specular lighting.

ModEdit:

Mirror http://hugefiles.net/hvrwlhwuaomq (captcha, uncheck "Download using download accelerator", create link)
https://www.copy.com/s/9OmMJE9ngVPj/GDC14_infamous_second_son_engine_postmortem.pdf

For some reason I find it hilarious that presentation conventions result in "Bloom with Lens Dirt" capitalizing "Lens Dirt."

Dat G-buffer layout. 32 bits of "wetness params," delicious.

4.5 GB of RAM again. Same as the Order and Shadowfall before it. I think it's safe to say this is the current RAM availability for PS4 games.

Maybe they'll get something sorted with that other 512MB per DF article weirdness.

Oooh... nice. Was waiting for the GDC slides to come out.

hm... 41Bpp g-buffer... 80+MB. At least someone is using the mixed bit-depths. :)

4.5 GB of RAM again. Same as the Order and Shadowfall before it. I think it's safe to say this is the current RAM availability for PS4 games.

Maybe they'll get something sorted with that other 512MB per DF article weirdness.

Interesting slides still, again confirms that the devs only have access to 6 CPU cores. Bit surprised about the slow I/O access. Is this related to the fact that the PS4 connects to the harddrive using a USB -> SATA bridge chip instead of a native SATA interface ?

4.5 GB of RAM again.

I hope they remove this restriction at some point. I'd actually prefer for the system to open a Xbox 360 style small window in the centre of the screen when you hit the PS button (it'd certainly make finding friends/parties/invites much quicker and easier). I've only ever observed that I can play a game and have Netflix running in the backgroud by accident. I didn't even go back to playing the game, I simply 'closed' it.

Theoretically, they could have the system could run a smaller menu mid-game and drop the main OS out of memory freeing several GBs (possibly a CPU or two?) and it'd much quicker to navigate and leave the devs with more memory and CPU time.

I can't see Microsoft being able to do similar because of Snap, TV, Sykpe, etc. It'd put Sony at more of an advantage.

You could also then have apps that use the full system's resources.

I honestly don't need my gaming console to function like a smartphone with multiple apps running concurrently, I have a smartphone for that.

I dont get why 3.5GB is reserved for a console who's primary function is gaming. What is Sony planning in the future?

I dont get why 3.5GB is reserved for a console who's primary function is gaming. What is Sony planning in the future?

And why is it reserved right now, if for future VR, etc. support? I can't help but think a lot of that memory is unused right now. And the two CPUs are probably idle until you hit the PS button.

I hope Sony are able to monitor these metrics.

And why is it reserved right now, if for future VR, etc. support? I can't help but think a lot of that memory is unused right now.

Because they can't take memory away. If the OS only needs 1Gb now they can't give game devs 7Gb only to shrink the RAM footprint later. Anything needing 7Gb now will cease to work when it later has less.

Because they can't take memory away. If the OS only needs 1Gb now they can't give game devs 7Gb only to shrink the RAM footprint later. Anything needing 7Gb now will cease to work when it later has less.

I fail to see the point of the full OS being there at all, surely a subset would be better when in a game?

Didn't Guerilla said that 4.5GB is available to devs, with additional 500MB of some sort of semi-OS controlled cache?

I've asked the author of the news to rehost the slides elsewhere but he answered that he's not sure he's allowed to.

Because they can't take memory away.
Sure they can. If they need half a gig for whatever pie in the sky feature down the road, then that half-gig won't be available for games using that feature.

It's just utter stupidity and ineptitude to hold 3.5 gigs mostly in future reserve. Claim that RAM when it's needed, jesus! It's not a problem, old software wouldn't automatically have support for new features anyway.

Sure they can. If they need half a gig for whatever pie in the sky feature down the road, then that half-gig won't be available for games using that feature.

It's just utter stupidity and ineptitude to hold 3.5 gigs mostly in future reserve. Claim that RAM when it's needed, jesus! It's not a problem, old software wouldn't automatically have support for new features anyway.
Unless it's for always-active features outside of what the game uses directly.

Back