Metro Redux [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
I don't see your point. The game looked fab with those sources and its the same dev who put those there and have re-patched them into PC version.

Ok. You're building a game where darkness and light are critical to the sneaking and stealth mechanics. You build a graphics engine that supports real time lighting and where light sources cast shadows so the player has visual tells where they are and enemies are likewise.

Then you add fake lights sources that do not obey these rules because... PC owners want extra graphical jizz? :runaway:

EDIT: And from the Digital Foundry Metro Redux Face Off:

Digital Foundry said:
Part of the reason this article was delayed was because we heard from Deep Silver on Monday last week that last-minute tweaks to the PC version were being implemented. In the event, this took the form of a couple of inserted volumetric lights that actually seem to look a little at odds with the rest of the game.

At odds because illogical and makes no sense. Pick your side, RR - jizz or logic. There is no middle ground :nope:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jizz all the way :p ! We have th emundane life for logic, videogames are for all things fantastic :D !

He he, anyways, the volumetric lights did cast shadows in the PC version, IIRC. WIll have to re install it to check it out, but frankly I am enjoying the ps4 versions too much to do that ! But yes, long shadows weaving in mid air cast much more mystique than just those shadows dancing on walls. I love them volumetric shadows filling up the room, KZSF bathed me in those beauties and I loved it.

BTW, The games have surprised me a lot on the ps4. They look much better than I expected them to. I was expecting old games, but most of the time they look so good, as good as new games.

Will post screens when I can, but , yes, lovely games. I am surprised by the audio design too. it feels so good to hear a dialogue in one ear and the reverberating echo of the same in the other ! The games have surprised me much more than I expected.

Jizz all the way :p ! We have th emundane life for logic, videogames are for all things fantastic :D !

He he, anyways, the volumetric lights did cast shadows in the PC version, IIRC. WIll have to re install it to check it out, but frankly I am enjoying the ps4 versions too much to do that ! But yes, long shadows weaving in mid air cast much more mystique than just those shadows dancing on walls. I love them volumetric shadows filling up the room, KZSF bathed me in those beauties and I loved it.
Ha! At least you're honest! Hunter is casting no shadow from the blast door godrays in the PC pics above but perhaps this is an oversight/bug that will be fixed in a future patch. I'm definitely not against stylistic lighting to add atmosphere, it's just in this case the light does not 'behave' how you would expect it too.

BTW, The games have surprised me a lot on the ps4. They look much better than I expected them to. I was expecting old games, but most of the time they look so good, as good as new games.
I didn't have high expectations of 2033 given it's a four year old game and while the criticisms of the models and animation have some foundation, it looked far better than I expected it too. The signature lighting/shadowing was great and generated amazing atmosphere. Plus it was nice to play a game where none of the characters were complete assholes. The campaign, which I gather was "fixed" in terms of linking areas together, kept me interested and entertained.

Will post screens when I can, but , yes, lovely games. I am surprised by the audio design too. it feels so good to hear a dialogue in one ear and the reverberating echo of the same in the other ! The games have surprised me much more than I expected.

Yeah, the audio was fantastic. The whole experience of playing '2033' leaves me filled with promise for Fallout 4. I'm hoping to tackle Last Light this weekend, it's definitely taking priority over Infamous First Light.

Either its a bug or I am stuck in 2033: I planted the bomb in the left tunnel as asked by Khan, now where do i go? Khan keeps standing with the guardians and monsters keep coming intermittently. but there's nowhere to go, nothing to do !

Help please !

Either its a bug or I am stuck in 2033: I planted the bomb in the left tunnel as asked by Khan, now where do i go? Khan keeps standing with the guardians and monsters keep coming intermittently. but there's nowhere to go, nothing to do !
After you plant them you have to set them off (SQUARE I think on PS4). When you set them off you only have a few seconds before BOOM! so uhh.. run :yep2:

If you've done that, you need to head back into the central area and then go up the stairs (either set) and plant the bomb near the escalators. Then return to KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Help please !

I think I spent 20 or so minutes on my first run through of that section just killing monsters with the hold out group. I never got verbal instructions on what to do, and hadn't checked my note pad, so, I just followed everyone to their "last stand area" and started shooting the waves of enemies. After a while I began thinking, "Boy this is some pretty bad pacing, this section is stretching on too long.". Later still I thought "Jeez, I can't believe they did this. Destroys any sense of suspense or urgency!". :oops:

As DSoup mention, there are 2 things you must do in that section to move forward. May the compass guide you.

from the group of your allies, keep running straight, the stairs should be on your right...the explosives are located on one of the pillars right as you come into the room with the destroyed escalators...light it up and your set. the other one is in the left tunnel all the way down on the other side, you need to light it up with the gas can located in the right tunnel all the way down

I finally started 2033 after buying it on the PS4 on Black Friday. I like the setting and mood, but the story and game is a bit disjointed. It seems like I'm endlessly moving from one station to another and often don't know why. Lots of the game play is trial and error. I often end up going the wrong way or dying over and over as I find the magic path. I finally reached a part that was truly frustrating last night and the save spot was so far back I threw in the towel after the third death.

I see that Last Light had better review scores, maybe I'll just jumped to that game and see if it is better.

From what I remember, there is no magic path in 2033. At least in the 2-3 playthroughs I did. I did one playthrough all guns blazing combat. And another with straight stealth. And a 3rd (well my first) was a mix of the two with some stealth and some some combat.

Certainly there's way to make some of it slightly easier. And some of it can be a bit challenging. And having to manage oxygen outside of the tunnels could put time pressure on you. But it's all pretty manageable.

I actually didn't like the oxygen management outside bits. Not because it was hard, but because it doesn't allow me to just sit there and admire the graphics IQ and level design at the time. :p

Regards,
SB

Back