Rendering Tech of Ryse

Second presentation is up
Play the Cutscene: the Characters of Ryse
http://crytek.com/download/ryse_gdc_2014_AbdenourB_ChrisE.pptx

Ryse production took 18 months.
High res models were around 140m polys with 144k textures [4 channels with 4k textures per asset].
Ingame models vary from 40k to 160k tris. All prime characters do not have LOD at all.
Game uses 2k textures on Xbone for characters.

There are quite high res shots in this presentation, example:
High res:
i34Nz6Te0Ktqd.png

In game
iO0iKxn3e0Pjy.png

Fur:
ibbx5mNzCqb8qZ.jpeg

ibv5ErG7wx0aLb.jpeg

I only have OpenOffice at work to check ppt files, so my question is, why do there have to be so many animated slides that are buggy?? Also, lots of typos, should have got someone to proofread... cash instead of cache and so on.

My impressions are posted in the Infamous SS thread though, if anyone's interested.

Console hardware was considerably less powerful than high-end PCs at launch” reads Crytek’s SIGGRAPH 2014 presentation.

Crytek said that MSAA was not an option on Xbox One with deferred lighting as there was a massive bandwidth increase. Also, the company run into issues with ESRAM size, something that prevented it from using MSAA (especially since 2X MSAA did not provide great IQ).

Crytek’s engineers revealed that SSAA was used in pre-recorded cut-scenes in Ryse, and that this demanding AA technique will be available in the PC version of Ryse.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/cryte...considerably-less-powerful-than-high-end-pcs/

Crytek. Winners of this years stating the bloody obvious award. :yep2:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

SIGGRAPH is not exactly a place where everyone in the audience is fully informed about game consoles. The majority of the visitors are from the academic research, VFX/animation and student categories.

And even the people working in the field of real-time graphics are usually only using PCs - they're the theorists coming up with new concepts and ideas. Then game developers and industrial software engineers take these ideas and implement them in practice.

So it makes perfect sense for Crytek to start with a context for their presentation. This was what we had to try to fit your concepts into, and this is what we did and how.

On that topic, I was very surprise by their amazingly crude aproximation of SS color bleeding. Trully unexpected, still pretty cryteky.

Back