video watching methods

zed

Legend
I watch a lot of videos on my phone. The thing is 90% of the time I watch the film with the screen vertically. Simply because it's far easier to hold when you're watching for a while.
The reason I bring this up is my phone is 1080p 16:9
An oft sited reason of having a screen of that ratio I it's film watching. Yet here am I not taking advantage of it. I suspect many others as well.

Just an observation rant

I pretty much always watch in landscape mode on my HTC J One. I guess it's slightly less comfortable than watching in portrait mode but then again, holding my phone for longer periods of time isn't very comfortable to begin with. I always try to put my phone down on my wallet or something so I don't have to hold it all the time.

Is the size of the screen a major reason that it's uncomfortable to hold in landscape?
Perhaps current phone is 5"
But even on 3.5" phones holding landscape was a pita with one hand.
It's hard to hold it one handed in landscape comfortably without part of your hand obscuring the screen. With portrait you can wrap your fingers around under the picture.
BTW has anyone done any testing how many hours you can view video using each method before the battery runs out?
It would be an interesting test

TOC - I spend quite a bit of time traveling. Eg 6 months last year (prolly saw 300 films on my phone). Putting down the phone normally ain't an option

If you watch that many movies while on the road, wouldn't it be an option to look into a tablet just for doing so? Or would that be too big to still easily be carried?

I normally take a laptop & phone, so tablet doesnt really fit in
also on a bus etc its much easier holding the phone

this year Im gonna go to south america hopefully, Im also thinking of taking another mediaplayer (the amount of times my phone ran out of gas, even with extra battery charger, low res but with a bigass battery)

Back