New(ish) Deus Ex

I saw it on Steam yesterday and read about it. Yeah sounds like it's not worth playing. Though to be fair on the mobile devices it's something like a $7 purchase. The budget for a game like that must be minimal. It looks like they cobbled together DXHR assets into a basic game with unique story. Also looks like they only put a cursory effort into adapting touch controls to mouse/kb/gamepad.

The trailer says "full keyboard support"
not being able to rebind keys should be punishable by death...

What about the games that allow you to remap every key except one or two? Life imprisonment?

It looks like they cobbled together DXHR assets into a basic game with unique story.
If only. IIRC, the mobile version was built with unity, so I don't really expect the PC version to be any different. Had they been using the DX:HR assets/engine on the PC, at least I'd expect it to look less craptastic.

(PS: Nothing against Unity as such, but this thing pretty much looks like an iPad 2 game on the PC as well.)

Meh, I'm putting off getting DXHR DC because of all the outstanding issues and now this... thing.

AFAIK from reading the Steam forums, there are still issues that make it an inferior game to the original + missing link, namely audio problems, the removal of the gold tint, performance issues, etc. The updated list is here.

I'm not in a hurry to play the DC but I am curious about the new boss battles. It's like the new DOOM 3 version they put out that has extra stuff I want but is worse than the original in a few ways. My OCD just can't handle that.

The original DXHR had its own performance problems. They patched it several times trying to fix hitching and stuttering for example that mainly occurs in the open city areas. I wouldn't be surprised if the DC just has the same problems.

I am interested in seeing the game world without the gold color filter actually. A new look. They probably should have made it a toggle though.

I think it is more commonly known as the Piss Filter, and good riddance I say.

The original DXHR had its own performance problems. They patched it several times trying to fix hitching and stuttering for example that mainly occurs in the open city areas. I wouldn't be surprised if the DC just has the same problems.

I am interested in seeing the game world without the gold color filter actually. A new look. They probably should have made it a toggle though.
I have both versions.

DC is a port of the WiiU version basically. The stuttering was fixed eventually in the original, but the DC is back to square one. Some people don't get it, but it's definitely there on my rig and poorer frame rates in general even when it's not stuttering.

There's poorer textures in spots, no reflection on the cars, ridiculous bloom in some areas which destroys details, weird halo on NPC's, and the the removal of the gold filter make it basically look like no post-processing is on at all in addition to all the above.

In graphics and performance it's definitely a step back from the original release.

I also have both versions, finished the original, and have 6 hour in DC, both run fine on my PC. I wonder if there is some sort of commonality in the hardware being used, with the systems that are having these problems.

Do not judge this game (referring to The Fall, since the convo strayed to DXHR) by TotalBiscuit's review.
The technical problems seem to be hit-or-miss. Either you will experience them or you won't. It seems to depend on some currently unknown hardware/software config of the individual user.
I did not experience anything like the problems he showed in his review video. I did have the mouse sensitivity and hacking bug, but those were both fixed by changing my VSync setting. After that, I had no problems with the game.
Since I can judge the game by its gameplay/story merits (which TB cannot), I'll provide my very brief review. "Brief" because this post is longer than the game itself.
It's DX:HR with no vertical gameplay, simplified graphics, a funky inventory/shop system, some problems with difficulty balance (very easy with one or two hard spots), and, of course, absolutely no length. Still, I enoyed sneaking and hacking my way through it for two days. Though maybe because I haven't played any games for a couple of months.
IF you don't have the serious bugs, then it's an ok game (but only at half price).
IF you do have the bugs, then it's probably unplayable.
Impossible to know whether or not you'll be afflicted until you try running it on your own system.

Back