Infamous vs. Titanfall sales. And WTF is 'hype' anyway?? *spawn

Rangers

Legend
I have a few potential reasons why the PS4 is not first. PS4 is more readily available... amazon is no longer the only online retailer with PS4s, and people at GAF are saying B&M stores are starting to get them.

Also, PS owns 7/10 spots in the top 10 and they're all pretty much helping each other. The camera could also crack the top 10. PS cards are probably being purchased more than before with hardware sales going up, and quality software coming out.

Like I have said before, amazon's rankings are no indicator of sales rate because there are several factors that can cause their rankings to change in a given month or week.

Also, FWIW, famousmortimer at GAF said to not sleep on Infamous... sales between Infamous and Titanfall are very close. Not sure if he meant in the US only or worldwide. If he meant the US only, I'll be surprised... I thought Titanfall would comfortably outsell Infamous in the US.

Sales #'s are very hard to come by, especially somehow "in progress". Famousmortimer is not a real source. I mean I guess he could be right, possibly as well just by accident/guessing, but there's no reason to really think so. Also if you'll notice pretty much all his info is designed to praise PS and cast aspersions or negative news towards Xbox. Doesn't make it automatically invalid but should be considered.

Just offhand I'd think Infamous has a good shot to beat Titanfall, why not? Both are about equally hyped games in very similar positions. Both consoles sold a bunch, then came a software dry spell, and both are the huge titles slated to end that spell and coming out at a similar time frame in March. I dont see a reason to much favor one or the other. I guess the only caveat is Infamous hasn't been a sales beast before that I know of (it's successful but not a monster) but just by intuition this time is different.

Well, a part of me would be somewhat surprised if Infamous beating Titanfall and XB1 beating PS4 both happen.

I'd think it's about 50-50 for both.

PS4 has a good shot to beat X1 in March I think on increased stock. That's why I put it 50/50.

Sales #'s are very hard to come by, especially somehow "in progress". Famousmortimer is not a real source. I mean I guess he could be right, possibly as well just by accident/guessing, but there's no reason to really think so. Also if you'll notice pretty much all his info is designed to praise PS and cast aspersions or negative news towards Xbox. Doesn't make it automatically invalid but should be considered.

Just offhand I'd think Infamous has a good shot to beat Titanfall, why not? Both are about equally hyped games in very similar positions. Both consoles sold a bunch, then came a software dry spell, and both are the huge titles slated to end that spell and coming out at a similar time frame in March. I dont see a reason to much favor one or the other. I guess the only caveat is Infamous hasn't been a sales beast before that I know of (it's successful but not a monster) but just by intuition this time is different.

Do you really think Sony has marketed Infamous as much as MS has TF? If Infamous does half as well as TF I'll be surprised, the series has historically been somewhat polarizing, people tend to like the games or hate them. The genre does not have the reach that TF does; online mp attracts far more interest than open world super hero game. I think TF's success is somewhat expected hence the investment MS made to make it exclusive whereas Infamous can probably count on a coming out so close to launch for any success it has at retail. Infamous will likely be one of the first titles out on PS4 that shows the graphical potential this gen. However I doubt any future games in the IP will garner similar attention due to gamers having more options to choose from.

Famousmortimer has been pretty reliable and seems to be pretty neutral from what I've seen.

I agree for the most part. I just think Titanfall caters to the US market more than Infamous.

Oh forgot to mention Infamous has the edge of a larger PS4 install base, especially if we're talking worldwide. It can have a lower attach rate and still sell more.

Both are about equally hyped games.
One's been marketed to the nines with TV ads and website ads (and really in-your-face pop-up ones to boot) and banners saying "Winner of 80 awards" and is in the style of the best-selling titles of last gen, and one is a sequel to a moderately performing action-exploration. Infamous's performance will be down to visuals as much as anything, as it is a good looking game. So it might sell as well, selling to a larger install base (comparing to just TF on XB1), but there's no way these two games are equally hyped.

One's been marketed to the nines with TV ads and website ads (and really in-your-face pop-up ones to boot) and banners saying "Winner of 80 awards" and is in the style of the best-selling titles of last gen, and one is a sequel to a moderately performing action-exploration. Infamous's performance will be down to visuals as much as anything, as it is a good looking game. So it might sell as well, selling to a larger install base (comparing to just TF on XB1), but there's no way these two games are equally hyped.

In the UK at least, Infamous is the only PS4 related thing that even comes close to have the level of advertising on TV as Titanfall. Since launch all you can see on TV is Xbox One adverts and Xbox One games adverts. By comparison PS4 and PS4 games have a lot less advertising. Infamous is the only advert I've seen a couple of times throughout an evening.

I didn't just only mean advertising hype. If we look at Neogaf the Infamous OT has currently 556K views with 2-3 days til release, TF official thread has 812K views a week after release. Infamous should surpass TF with ease.

In this forum games section the Infamous thread has 34k views and the Titanfall thread has 22K. So Infamous should more than double TF's views or more with ease past release.

As to advertising hype well, I have adblock and dont really watch TV, so I cant really comment on that. A big part of my time is spent on Neogaf/B3D though, and it seems even or more hype for Infamous there. Youtube, well there has been a flood of TF videos the past week, but then again I'm sure the same will happen for Infamous once it release as I'm subbed to a variety of media and lets plays. I believe someone on GAF was pointing out how the top Infamous vids on YT have many more views than the top TF ones. Then, to be fair, there was a counterargument that Inf vids came from a few official channels I think while TF vids were far more dispersed. IIRC.

A big part of my time is spent on Neogaf/B3D though, and it seems even or more hype for Infamous there.
Okay, you're using 'hype' to mean what I'd call 'interest' or 'enthusiasm'. Hype to me means marketing, for which I've seen a lot more for TF than Infamous. TBH Sony doesn't seem to hype (marketing push) its games that much in my experience, whereas every once in a while, MS will take a flagship title and really go to town on marketing for it, and that tends to pay off (at least in terms of sales and interest. Dunno about profitability!).

I'd think it's about 50-50 for both.

PS4 has a good shot to beat X1 in March I think on increased stock. That's why I put it 50/50.
Mate xbone and titan fall will be the number one for march I can't see this not happening. Ms have spent millions on this. How can it not happen. yes graphically it's a turd but marketing/hype can sell anything. April will be ps4>xb1 though
The vr stuff will have little impact outside the geek circles

Mate xbone and titan fall will be the number one for march I can't see this not happening. Ms have spent millions on this. How can it not happen. yes graphically it's a turd but marketing/hype can sell anything. April will be ps4>xb1 though
The vr stuff will have little impact outside the geek circles

Infamous is more hyped but i still think Titanfall can outsell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, you're using 'hype' to mean what I'd call 'interest' or 'enthusiasm'. Hype to me means marketing, for which I've seen a lot more for TF than Infamous. TBH Sony doesn't seem to hype (marketing push) its games that much in my experience, whereas every once in a while, MS will take a flagship title and really go to town on marketing for it, and that tends to pay off (at least in terms of sales and interest. Dunno about profitability!).

At least in the UK I see more adverts for Infamous than Titanfall.

Huh seriously
You think that infamous is more hyped than titanfall?
:)
Mate not on planet earth
Hmm maybe it's a language thing.

Yes tf will outsell infamous

I know you try to polish every nugget to suit your preferences but surely this is too much even for you.

Xbox one has a new case, million pound advertising campaign and a hefty price cut to try and sell units.

In what possible way do you believe infamous is more hyped?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least in the UK I see more adverts for Infamous than Titanfall.

It's about the same here in Canada. I mainly watch sports channels (not sure if that matters), but I've seen quite a few Titanfall commercials a few weeks ago, and lately I've been seeing a lot of Infamous commercials. On online gaming sites/stores, it seems like Titanfall is getting more ads though.

I think Titanfall will outsell Infamous in the US, but Infamous will outsell Titanfall (XB1) worldwide.

I know you try to polish every nugget to suit your preferences but surely this is too much even for you.

Xbox one has a new case, million pound advertising campaign and a hefty price cut to try and sell units.

In what possible way do you believe infamous is more hyped?

They dont have a new case. I dont know what your source is for million pound advertising (nor does it really have much meaning, MS once promised $500 million to advertise Kinect that didn't happen, the figures are inflated for PR). Hefty Price cut was what, 7% in only one market. Ok, hefty...huge! And it had nothing to do with TF but simply poor sales...

I'll agree that TF is probably more advertised even though I dont really have proof. But more hyped? No. And I already gave plenty of actual evidence, such as right on this forum IF thread 34k+ views, TF thread 22k views. The numbers dont lie.

If you can show me how much is spent on IF ads vs TF I'll agree. None of us have that info.

I'm starting to think IF may not really sell that great though, just because on Amazon for the yearly/monthly charts TF still seems way ahead. Infamous has still time before release though.

Amazon current recap of notables:

Hourly: Infamous #2, PS4 #5, MGSGZ PS4 #6, Titanfall #12, TF bundle #13, regular Xbox One #96

Monthly (March): PS4 #1, Titanfall #2, MGSGZ PS4 #8, Infamous #10, TF bundle #11, Vanilla Xbox One #80

2014 to date: PS4 #2, Titanfall #6, PS4 MGSGZ #17, Infamous #26, Regular Xbox One #20, Titanfall bundle #45

I'm basically changing my mind on the spot, in the US anyway it seems like TF will beat IF. Because you can see the longer timeframe you go the worse IF does, in fact I put PS4 MGS in there because it seems like it may actually end up the best selling PS4 title of the month. And we have to keep in mind all this Amazon tends quite a lot toward PS, so if TF is ahead even on Amazon it's likely much worse in the rest of the country. I would then say TF has a chance to beat INF worldwide too, but there it's more like 50-50 for now.

Amazon interestingly now has the Forza 5 Xbox bundle in, which is now the standard Xbox SKU. Still languishing way back of TF bundle, but it could help some once TF bundle is gone.

They dont have a new case. I dont know what your source is for million pound advertising (nor does it really have much meaning, MS once promised $500 million to advertise Kinect that didn't happen, the figures are inflated for PR). Hefty Price cut was what, 7% in only one market. Ok, hefty...huge! And it had nothing to do with TF but simply poor sales...

It's blatantly obvious that MS have spent a fortune on advertising TF and the XB1 over the past few months. TV slots and magazines etc Infamous has barely registered in that regard.

I'll agree that TF is probably more advertised even though I dont really have proof. But more hyped? No. And I already gave plenty of actual evidence, such as right on this forum IF thread 34k+ views, TF thread 22k views. The numbers dont lie.

Like Shifty has already pointed out that has nothing to do with hype. It's just that people are more interested in Infamous as it is the first real next-gen open world game to land that hasn't been tied to last gen. It looks amazing and if anything needs to be 'hyped' a lot more by Sony.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=titanfall%2C%20%2Fm%2F02vwbsf&cmpt=q
its not even close, latest data has titanfall ~12:1 interest wise

google 'titanfall hype'
first page results

Titanfall lives up to the hype in new video game's review
Why are people so hyped for Titanfall? - System Wars - Ga
​The Titanfall Hype, Explained - Kotaku
Titanfall - Don't Fall For The Hype - NowGamer
Does Titanfall Live Up To The Hype? Yes | BGR
Respawn Responds To 'Titanfall' Accusations - Forbes
Titanfall test drive lives up to hype | Stuff.co.nz
Titanfall Review - Did The Hype Train Deliver? - MP1st
Does Titanfall Justify the Hype? | N4G
Titanfall - Don't Fall For The Hype | N4G
Titanfall: Worthy of the good -- and bad -- hype (review) - Vent

google 'infamous hype'
first page results

Infamous Hype's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world's // something else
Sony Should Be Rolling Out More Red Carpet For PS4's 'Infa
Infamous: second son's graphics are amazing and worthy of t
inFAMOUS 2 Hype thread (56k) 7.5 @ GS - KEEP IT HERE!
Infamous: Second Son Hype Thread: 4 Days! - Page 6 - S
inFAMOUS: Second Son Hype Thread | (Hype AA) 56k War
inFAMOUS hype thread (Updated 5/26, 9.0 at GS) - System
Hype Cycle Research Methodology | Gartner Inc. // something else
Infamous Hype - Playfire
inFamous Second Son ARG. All aboard the hype train! - Th

infamous its all forum threads, titanfall its actual new articles hype
To suggest than infamous has more hype than titanfall is sigworthy

Back