*spinoff* Quality of Edge AA... stuff

Why doesn't every game use this type of AA???
Seems like developers are asking that question too, as boosting sampling with temporal reprojection has become much more popular. In the latter half of the seventh gen we had just a few games experimenting with fairly weak implementations, now we're like four months in the eighth gen and several of the "graphically impressive" games have relatively mature systems giving solid results.

I would think (believe) it boils down to development time, performance wanted/needed for such game and the overall trade-offs on using SMAA 2XT. Unless, SMAA 2XT isn't overly taxing for PS4, regardless of game scope. But I'm doubtful of that...
It's not

irc10SGGGgiEv.png

I wonder why the Order 1886 doesn't use this AA method? This can free up more resources into making the game look better.

Actually, I believe it's because of their renderer that they can get 4xmsaa at a low cost.

On this Infamous pic (uncompressed png) the tables and chairs show a lot of geometry details! I like it a lot. It does look supersampled.

http://i4.minus.com/iHp1CQL6hAQQL.png

That's what I'm talking about... even the smallest things have such great detail in them. Pixel density and quality within ISS is unmatched on any console at the moment.

One other thing that I appreciate about ISS, is that many of the store fronts have nicely rendered interiors... and the ones that are not, have high-quality mapping (3Dish effect) on keeping things looking nice.

That is a nice looking screenshot. The patio furniture does look detailed but I wonder how the fine lines in it hold up while in motion. I havent had the pleasure of playing this beautiful looking game yet. Im not sure that it is using super-sampling but the Smaa does look to be doing a great job. Does anyone know if there is any pixel crawling or shimmering on that furniture while the game is in motion?

That is a nice looking screenshot. The patio furniture does look detailed but I wonder how the fine lines in it hold up while in motion. I havent had the pleasure of playing this beautiful looking game yet. Im not sure that it is using super-sampling but the Smaa does look to be doing a great job. Does anyone know if there is any pixel crawling or shimmering on that furniture while the game is in motion?

Nope, none at all. Far off objects have that occasional unwanted effect, but nothing distracting or overly obvious. As far as super-sampling, I'm pretty sure the pixel quality/density isn't your typical 1080p deal.

Nope, none at all.
That's surprising, considering that highlight stairsteps are visible on the furniture edges.

It looks clean for the sort of object it is, but not "no visible pixel crawl or shimmerting, none at all" clean. I admittedly haven't actually played the game, though.

Im not sure that it is using super-sampling
It is supersampling, if you qualify that statement with "temporally." In circumstances where the shading doesn't change much from one frame to the next, and where motion is very precisely approximated, the game is able to "correctly" use extra subpixel samples in basically the same way that your everyday spatial supersampling does.

It looks clean for the sort of object it is, but not "no visible pixel crawl or shimmerting, none at all" clean. I admittedly haven't actually played the game, though.

I'm no expert in stair-step effect or counting, but in motion you don't get that shader aliasing effect, or nasty aliasing around the edges (aka GTA series). Whatever Sucker Punch has done, they done an incredible job of hiding it or masking it. The IQ is just that damn good...

Back