Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Does anyone have comparisons/impressions of both Morpheus and Oculus Rift in regards to resolution, screen door effect, etc?

Does anyone have comparisons/impressions of both Morpheus and Oculus Rift in regards to resolution, screen door effect, etc?

They both have same resolution, screen door effect is much less visible on Morpheus, but because Morpheus is not using Amoled pixel switching time is longer and that introduces little more visible blur.

Both DK2 and Morpheus are described as "great".

Both are also prototypes and unfinished. I very much doubt the current Morpheus screen is the one it'll launch with.

hopefully morpheus can be sold cheaper than OR or the same as OR when bundled with PS Eye. sony should have better "economy of scale" and their expertise in making hardware efficiently.

Sony also has one of the world's most powerful network of distribution channels.
They could beat Occulus by several months just for that, specially outside the US.

hopefully morpheus can be sold cheaper than OR or the same as OR when bundled with PS Eye. sony should have better "economy of scale" and their expertise in making hardware efficiently.

Oculus / facebook has a deal with Samsung for custom screens. They might beat sony at this point. Part of the deal is letting Samsung use the oculus software for their cell phones.

Do we have thread for Oculus?

They just anonunced at "Oculus Connect" keynote early prototype for CK1 that will not [yet] be put to sales. "Crescent Bay" prototype has 1440p display that refreshes in 90hz low persistence mode, it can track 360 degree of head rotation and has integrated audio. Abrash said that this is enough for presence, and will be great starting point for consumer VR.

Zombie Games said:
Zombie games going VR! Dying Light set for Oculus Rift compatibility on Xbox One and PS4 ... ... ... Lead game designer Maciej Binkowski also revealed the game's VR capabilities will need to meet specifications on both the Xbox One and PS4 before it can be properly supported and be used with the zombie apocalypse title.

I had no idea that OR compatibility with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One was even on the cards. This is brilliant news! :D

While not directly related to the Project Morpheus, Dying Light, the PS4 and Xbox One game is going to support Oculus Rift, which opens up the possibility for Project Morpheus support.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/542887/Zombie-Games-VR-Dying-Light-Xbox-One-PS4-Oculus-Rift-Zombie-apocalypse?

Your post seems to imply confirmation of Oculus support for PS4/XBO. I don't get that impression from the full article. The only confirmation I see is TechLand saying they will support the game itself post release.

Lead game designer Maciej Binkowski also revealed the game's VR capabilities will need to meet specifications on both the Xbox One and PS4 before it can be properly supported and be used with the zombie apocalypse title.

"We're going to support the game after its release, and if they'll be ready, hopefully we'll be ready too, Binkowski told Digital Spy.

"We can say that for Sony or Xbox, there's a list of requirements that the game must meet to be released on Xbox platforms for example, so probably we're all learning - there's probably going to be list of requirements like that, for a game to be officially supported by Oculus.

"There's still a lot of technical difficulties, but we're working on it, and I'm really looking forward to playing Dying Light officially on this thing."

Your post seems to imply confirmation of Oculus support for PS4/XBO. I don't get that impression from the full article. The only confirmation I see is TechLand saying they will support the game itself post release.

I do. Not necessarily at launch, but later assuming the tech is supported.

Article in full said:
Techland have been working closely with Virtual Reality chiefs at Rift to support the new tech, although it won't be available until the headset is officially released.

Lead game designer Maciej Binkowski also revealed the game's VR capabilities will need to meet specifications on both the Xbox One and PS4 before it can be properly supported and be used with the zombie apocalypse title.

"We're going to support the game after its release, and if they'll be ready, hopefully we'll be ready too, Binkowski told Digital Spy.

"We can say that for Sony or Xbox, there's a list of requirements that the game must meet to be released on Xbox platforms for example, so probably we're all learning - there's probably going to be list of requirements like that, for a game to be officially supported by Oculus.

Actually the original DigitalSpy article paints a slightly less clear position. It seems the Express carved up the article/interview and interspersed stuff about consoles which may have no bearing. Interestingly, though:

DigitalSpy said:
As well as Oculus VR, Binkowski said Techland has development kits for Project Morpheus - the PS4's own virtual reality headset - but couldn't confirm whether support would be made available.

I don't read any OR support for consoles in the original. Even the Express quote reads like they've muddled the concept of technical requirements for consoles with TRs for OR. And is Sony really going to support OR when they have a competing product?

And is Sony really going to support OR when they have a competing product?

If OR are willing to pay the licence to have OR certified as a PlayStation 4 peripheral and do the driver and SDK work (I imagine the onus is very much on them) then why not? Sony have licensed competing gamepads on their platforms for years and these accessories also compete with their official gamepads.

If they want PS4 to be the console for VR they need to accommodate people who have already invested in expensive hardware. Would you rather lose a VR headset sale and all subsequent software sales by not supporting it, or just lose a VR headset sale and gain on subsequent software sales.

I'd like to see Sony support Morpheus on PC as well. At their GGC unveil in March, they had so many questions about support on non-PlayStation platforms (particularly PC) which is interesting given you can already buy a few VR solutions for PC now.

Here's the PSX Panel on VR. Far more general VR discussion than Morpheus specific talk, but I found it interesting all the same. About 40 minutes, although I suspect the top and bottom half were either cut off or lost for some reason.

Here are boogey2988's impressions on Morpheus. Apparently, they were showing it off in the conference floor.

I don't know if his OR, with which he makes the comparison to, is the older 720p model or the new one.

Here are boogey2988's impressions on Morpheus. Apparently, they were showing it off in the conference floor.

I don't know if his OR, with which he makes the comparison to, is the older 720p model or the new one.
He said in the beginning that he has dk2, so the new one (full hd).

This reminds me of Samsung announcing Gear VR and the list of risks associated with using it - it's enough to put you off VR entirely. Here it is, via Ars Technica, in full.

1. We recommend consulting a physician before using the Gear VR if you are pregnant, elderly, have pre-existing binocular vision abnormalities or psychiatric disorders, or suffer from a heart condition or other serious medical condition.

2. The Gear VR should not be used by children under the age of 13. Adults should monitor children (age 13 and older) who are using or have used the Gear VR for any of the symptoms described below, and should limit the time children spend using the Gear VR and ensure they take breaks during use. Prolonged use should be avoided, as this could negatively impact hand-eye coordination, balance,and multi-tasking ability. Adults should monitor children closely during and after use of the Gear VR for any decrease in these abilities.

3. A comfortable virtual reality experience requires an unimpaired sense of motion and balance. Do not use the Gear VR when you are tired, need sleep, are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, are hung-over, have digestive problems, are under emotional stress or anxiety, or when suffering from cold, flu, headaches, migraines, or earaches, as this can increase your susceptibility to adverse symptoms.

4. Immediately discontinue use if anyone using the Gear VR experiences any of the following symptoms: seizures, loss of awareness, eye strain, eye or muscle twitching, involuntary movements, altered, blurred, or double vision or other visual abnormalities, dizziness, disorientation, impaired balance, impaired hand-eye coordination, excessive sweating, increased salivation, nausea, light-headedness, discomfort or pain in the head or eyes, drowsiness, fatigue, or any symptoms similar to motion sickness.

5. Anyone who has had a seizure, loss of awareness, or other symptoms linked to an epileptic condition should consult a physician before using the Gear VR.

6. Just as with the symptoms people can experience after they disembark a cruise ship, symptoms of virtual reality exposure can persist and become more apparent hours after use. These post-use symptoms can include the symptoms above, as well as excessive drowsiness and decreased ability to multi-task. These symptoms may put you at an increased risk of injury when engaging in normal activities in the real world. Do not drive, operate machinery, or engage in other visually or physically demanding activities that have potentially serious consequences (i.e., activities in which experiencing any symptoms could lead to death, personal injury, or damage to property), or other activities that require unimpaired balance and hand-eye coordination (such as playing sports or riding a bicycle, etc.)until you have fully recovered from any symptoms.

7. Do not use the Gear VR while in a moving vehicle such as a car, bus, or train, as this can increase your susceptibility to adverse symptoms.

8. For the safest experience always remain seated when using the Gear VR. Take special care to ensure that you are not near other people, objects, stairs, balconies, windows, furniture, or other items that you can bump into or knockdown when using or immediately after using the Gear VR. Do not handle sharp or otherwise dangerous objects while using the Gear VR. Never wear the Gear VR in situations that require attention, such as walking, bicycling, or driving.

9. The Gear VR may be equipped with a pass-through feature which permits you to temporarily see your surroundings for brief real world interaction. You should always remove the Gear VR for any situation that requires attention or coordination.

10. Take at least a 10 to 15 minute break every 30 minutes, even if you do not think you need it. Each person is different, so take more frequent and longer breaks if you feel discomfort. You should decide what works best.

11. Prolonged use of the Gear VR and input devices (e.g. controllers) can make your muscles, joints or skin hurt. If any part of your body becomes tired or sore while playing, or if you feel symptoms such as tingling, numbness, burning or stiffness, stop and rest for several hours before playing again. If you continue to have any of the above symptoms or other discomfort during or after play, stop using theGear VR and consult a physician.

12. Be mindful of the type of content that you were using prior to the onset of any symptoms because you may be more prone to symptoms based upon the content being used.

13. The Gear VR can emit radio waves that can affect the operation of nearby electronics, including cardiac pacemakers. If you have a pacemaker or other implanted medical device, do not use the GearVR without first consulting your physician or the manufacturer of your medical device.

14. Do not look directly at bright light while you are wearing the device without the mobile device inserted. Doing so may damage your eyesight.

15. If you are allergic to the paint or metal parts on the device, you may experience itching,eczema, or swelling of the skin. If this happens, stop using the device and consult your physician.

16. Consult a physician if you have serious and/or persistent symptoms.

The Samsung GALAXY Note 4 may become hotter than normal when used with the Gear VR, especially if you use the devices to play games for an extended period. When the Gear VR detects a high temperature, the quality of the application may be degraded or VR applications may be terminated in order to prevent overheating. This is normal and does not affect the Samsung GALAXY Note 4's lifespan or performance.

Also, the Samsung GALAXY Note 4's battery runtime may become shorter than normal when it is used with the Gear VR since VR applications use more of the device's resources and may contribute to battery drain.

You may experience slow loading speed or diminished playback quality in some circumstances, such as after extended use (to prevent the device from overheating) or if your carrier or Wi-Fi network is slow or out of range.

Lastly, availability of VR-enabled content and applications and language support may vary by region.​

I think I'll take up something less dangerous, like smoking crack.

Back