Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

@MrFox
Does it come in black?
No but there's an optional black mod... better remove phone and lenses before using it.

204491_300.jpg

Richard Marks interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxXsCFOAyBY

Some interesting details: the prediction algorithm cuts about 20ms with no problem, and it's from the Move controller development team, so it would apply equally to Move input. Does this give the Move a negative lag figure?

Still no info about the optics. He said he doesn't even know how they're made, they were designed by Sony's optical division. Claimed to be the reason they could get great optics for a low production cost.

Repeated again the LCD they used in the prototype has too much persistence for their liking, and it seems to be the focus of future hardware changes (oled? low persistence lcd? unicorn blood display?).

One thing that (most probably) nobody knows is that the Morpheus prototype actually has a higher pixel density than the supposed superoir dual 1080P Valve prototype. Allow me to explain:

the Valve prototype only uses half of the vertical positioned displays; which makes it 960*1080 per eye, the same as Sony's 960*1080 per eye..

Sony uses a true RGB pixel layout however, while Valve uses a Pentile layout (look it up).
In the end this means that image quality is degraded as the real resolution is 1/3 lower than the raw pixel number would indicate.

(Although.. because Sony uses 1 display 'cut in half' for both eyes, there are some pixels lost in the middle, how much; nobody knows.)

Sony uses a true RGB pixel layout however, while Valve uses a Pentile layout (look it up).
Pentile RGBW works with a different appreciation of human vision to the decidedly unnatural RGB array (not that Pentile RGBW is particularly natural either!). Whether it's better or not is not an issue for this forum. Suffice to say your analysis is...naive and doesn't represent a fair quality comparison. The only quality comparison that can be made is using the devices. The numbers of pixels and their arrangement aren't going to be sufficient to determine which gives a better image quality. That said there are aspects of the screens that we can compare like superior response and black levels from OLED versus LCD.

Pentile RGBW works with a different appreciation of human vision to the decidedly unnatural RGB array (not that Pentile RGBW is particularly natural either!). Whether it's better or not is not an issue for this forum. Suffice to say your analysis is...naive and doesn't represent a fair quality comparison. The only quality comparison that can be made is using the devices. The numbers of pixels and their arrangement aren't going to be sufficient to determine which gives a better image quality. That said there are aspects of the screens that we can compare like superior response and black levels from OLED versus LCD.

SlimJim's description seem to refer to the RGBG PenTile (average 2/3rds of "input" pixels), not the RGBW arrangement you're referring to.
RGBW would actually be better than RGB since it has an additional white subpixel, apart from the usual red-green-blue.

I don't know what kind of PenTile is being used in Valve's prototype, but I think a RGBG matrix would be notably worse in a scenario of black text in white background if they have the optics emulating a screen that is hundreds of inches big.
But does that scenario matter for a set of VR goggles? At least for gaming and watching movies, it probably doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
SlimJim's description seem to refer to the RGBG PenTile (average 2/3rds of "input" pixels), not the RGBW arrangement you're referring to.
RGBW would actually be better than RGB since it has an additional white subpixel, apart from the usual red-green-blue.
RGBW uses two sub pixels per pixel so it's not the same as adding a fourth sub pixel to the RGB pixel. But trying to understand its perceptual qualities based on super magnified photos and PR blurb is not easy!

Your right about RGBG Pentile though. The RGBW Pentile Samsung use is LCD. Is Samsung going to provide an RGBG Pentile OLED or RGBW? RGBW seems to be where they're going but I don't know if white is an option with OLED. I see LG have an RGBW large TV.

I was only talking about pixel density.
I agree that contrast and latency are much more important in a VR environment

RGBW uses two sub pixels per pixel so it's not the same as adding a fourth sub pixel to the RGB pixel. But trying to understand its perceptual qualities based on super magnified photos and PR blurb is not easy!

Your right about RGBG Pentile though. The RGBW Pentile Samsung use is LCD. Is Samsung going to provide an RGBG Pentile OLED or RGBW? RGBW seems to be where they're going but I don't know if white is an option with OLED. I see LG have an RGBW large TV.

The only OLED screens samsung produces are either RGB or RGBG; the 1080P screens are only RGBG, and that is what the Valve prototype uses

I don't know what kind of PenTile is being used in Valve's prototype, but I think a RGBG matrix would be notably worse in a scenario of black text in white background if they have the optics emulating a screen that is hundreds of inches big.
But does that scenario matter for a set of VR goggles? At least for gaming and watching movies, it probably doesn't.

In all current VR googles the 'outside' pixels are magnified to provide a 'wrapped around' high degree field of view. So the RGBG pixels would stick out even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only OLED screens samsung produces are either RGB or RGBG;
Yes, but they're producing a new screen for OVR that'll feature in their devices. Now that they've introduced RGBW to their LCD devices, it makes sense to pursue the same avenue with their OLED line; it's a clear progression.

All this is moot though. We should wait until specs are released to compare them. There's little point in trying to compare Sony's unreleased VR headset to OVR's unreleased headset.

In all current VR googles the 'outside' pixels are magnified to provide a 'wrapped around' high degree field of view. So the RGBG pixels would stick out even more.
They're in your peripheral vision so should be blurred as long as you're looking mostly forwards. Again, I don't see any point in trying to guess the final experience in anyone's solution. We'll compare the final products when they're final. The emphasis of this thread should be what Sony are doing and what experience that'll likely give.

Yes, but they're producing a new screen for OVR that'll feature in their devices. Now that they've introduced RGBW to their LCD devices, it makes sense to pursue the same avenue with their OLED line; it's a clear progression.

All this is moot though. We should wait until specs are released to compare them. There's little point in trying to compare Sony's unreleased VR headset to OVR's unreleased headset.

They're in your peripheral vision so should be blurred as long as you're looking mostly forwards. Again, I don't see any point in trying to guess the final experience in anyone's solution. We'll compare the final products when they're final. The emphasis of this thread should be what Sony are doing and what experience that'll likely give.

Not really for VR OLED screens though; the W pixel is added for extra brightness, and a VR helmet won't need that as the screen will never have to be read in broad daylight :)

But anyway I merely demonstrated the lower Valve prototype pixel density/ resolution, while you have a lot of sources claiming the opposite, only because they don't really understand the screens and corresponding technology, or even the "bottom part sticking out"-part in the Valve prototype. :cool:

ontopic: in hindsight; the Move controller looks like it was designed for VR from the start, I mean, look at the plastic glowing ball; it's as if it was designed to not hit you in the head (at least not too hard) when going nuts in the virtual environment

http://ps4daily.com/2014/07/project-morpheus-1440p-oled-screen/
Sony is aiming to use a higher resolution OLED screen for the VR headset. The OLED screen will reportedly feature a 2560 x 1440 resolution, which will translate into two 1280 x 1140 screens — one for each eye.
Just a rumor, but it's not impossible. By the end of 2015, this type of panel will be in large production by multiple competitors, so the cost would be fine. Sony is in talk with Japan Display to make OLED for tablets/phones but it's just a pilot line and isn't ready yet. LG and Samsung will also make that kind of panel so the market will have ample supply and competition. I guess it depends how long they want to wait.

Can HDMI port in PS4 [it is not hdmi 2.0 as far as we know] support 1440p @ 60hz output?

Sure their splitter will most surely be fully ready to manage 1440p bandwidth for their 120hz interpolation, but if the game is not rendered nativley at 1440p60... that would be bad for IQ.

Can HDMI port in PS4 [it is not hdmi 2.0 as far as we know] support 1440p @ 60hz output?

Sure their splitter will most surely be fully ready to manage 1440p bandwidth for their 120hz interpolation, but if the game is not rendered nativley at 1440p60... that would be bad for IQ.

Yeah, seems irrelevant somehow.

I don't know that a difference in rendering resolution will be that noticeable with pixels so tiny and close to your face. My mobile has a 1080p screen and I can't make out individual pixels at the closest point of focal range. I imagine if anything it may reduce the 'screen door' effect, it that is still even noticeable at 1080p.

Back