Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Quite frankly, it's nonsense. VR == stereoscopy == the same scene rendered simultaneously from two different camera angles. With a single camera you can move to either of the stereo 'eye' positions and have exactly the same view as that eye and the same graphical requirements. The only time it could actually affect a game is if the game locks the player's position based on the single camera (up against a wall, say) and when rendered with two cameras, one eye is a couple of cms off from that central position, inside the wall and looking inwards. So you'd have a couple of degrees of back-side viewing. I can't imagine that affecting any game. I'd be very curious if any fairly modern game even has untextured polygons anyway. It's easy enough to repeat UV coordinates and get the texture intended for one face on the back faces.

There are issues with automatic conversion, games do broad culling based on the camera position and FOV automatic stereo conversion shifts that after culling, so you can end up with polygons visible on the screen that have been thrown away before rasterization.
But the bigger issues are the shaders that do things in screen space resulting in incorrect depth.

If you're actually doing a patch to support VR most of it's not that much of an issue, though I will say that when Naughty Dog added stereo support to Uncharted, even though they just used the existing multiplayer assets, they say it was much more expensive than they had anticipated to do it properly.

There are issues with automatic conversion, games do broad culling based on the camera position and FOV automatic stereo conversion shifts that after culling, so you can end up with polygons visible on the screen that have been thrown away before rasterization.
But the bigger issues are the shaders that do things in screen space resulting in incorrect depth.

If you're actually doing a patch to support VR most of it's not that much of an issue, though I will say that when Naughty Dog added stereo support to Uncharted, even though they just used the existing multiplayer assets, they say it was much more expensive than they had anticipated to do it properly.

There are plenty of games that don't work in stereoscopic 3D like you says but is there any reason why those games that DO work in stereoscopic 3D wouldn't work in VR? Assuming you don't try to incorporate any kind of motion control?

There are plenty of games that don't work in stereoscopic 3D like you says but is there any reason why those games that DO work in stereoscopic 3D wouldn't work in VR? Assuming you don't try to incorporate any kind of motion control?

Most would likely just work, but there will be issues with the HUD, games seem to like to present information at the periphery of the screen, and that won't work with wide FOV glasses.
Some will probably also have issues with increasing the FOV, and depending on the aspect ratio there could be issues there, games already massively exaggerate it.

I would think you'd want devs to put in the effort to deliver a good experience.

Polygon interview with Shu Yoshida and Adam Boyes...
http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/17/5815678/when-will-project-morpheus-come-out
"It's not much more work then goes into making a game 3D stereoscopic," he said. "The idea is very similar: you create two images to fall on each eye, so it's pretty straightforward. Maybe a couple weeks to get it running and viewing in the Morpheus, however, you immediately realize the game design for console, or TV doesn't work. It just breaks, it's not a great experience." So much of the effort has to go into the design, rather than the implementation he said.
"You have to spend lots of time thinking and redesigning your game, or, better yet, start from scratch on VR," he said.
Boyes said the same indie spirit holds true for the plaform holders, not just the game makers.

"I've been inspired because most times you see all these companies competing around technology and being super proprietary, but the conversations we've been having with Valve and Oculus around all the VR stuff, it just feels like a bunch of indie devs getting together and jamming on stuff," he said. "So it's been neat to see that collaboration. There isn't all these walls of, ‘You can't talk to them.' It's all about how do we solve these problems together because we think the vision is there's going to be an industry here. So all of us are working together to find great content."

IMO the quotes should have been:

"It's very simple from my standpoint," he said. "Two things have to happen."
The device needs innovative, amazing content, and a lot of it, and it needs to be great. Right now, Yoshida said, it's simply a "good system."
"We have a good system," he said. "People enjoy the Morpheus demo, but it's not enough. It's coming close, but there isn't enough in terms of creating real experiences with a sense of presence.
"What we say to them is, ‘We're going on a journey, there's no release date,'" he said. "So the caveat's around. We don't know what the price point is going to be. We don't know if we're going to bundle any content with it. We know none of that.
Which means Sony are playing about but aren't happy with their current results and won't commit to any schedule. Makes it one heck of a gamble for developers, which in turn affects the first prerequisite. How do you launch with great content if devs can't realistically commit?

True, I kind of skipped over the negative stuff... :LOL:

That sounds more like a "maybe 2016" release. Right now devs would be simply experimenting, and wouldn't start a big production until Sony gives them a firm release date. Internal studios are a different matter, and the release date would be kept secret even when it's decided.

IMO the quotes should have been: Which means Sony are playing about but aren't happy with their current results and won't commit to any schedule. Makes it one heck of a gamble for developers, which in turn affects the first prerequisite. How do you launch with great content if devs can't realistically commit?

For devs thinking about a wholly VR experience, it's hard. Although Sony may be sharing their target launch window with devs - I can't believe the project has an endless blank cheque! For other devs, Sony only need (and did at GDC) to share the type of game design and control considerations to make a game that works on a TV, more easily transferable to VR further down the development line. Ie, DOs and DON'Ts.

I need to view the GDC presentation again and jot down the key considerations. I remember while watching, mentally kicking myself for not thinking about them myself, because they seemed so obvious when they explained them. However old age has worked it's magic and I can't remember a single one now.

Perhaps tomorrow.

If Sony intends to release any time in the next year or so, dev's will have a rough time line.

It's possible they are still trying to feel out the reaction from the press/public and devs, When I was at Sony it was a tiny team, if management thinks it has merit, it could run for a while without being a concrete product.

IMO the quotes should have been:

Which means Sony are playing about but aren't happy with their current results and won't commit to any schedule. Makes it one heck of a gamble for developers, which in turn affects the first prerequisite. How do you launch with great content if devs can't realistically commit?

Sounds like the chicken eating it own egg.

Yosh pretty much kills any dev support out of hand, don't understand that at all unless they're just not serious about it and are just doing a "me too with ps4 on top".

Why would you say that? He's just being clear that Sony won't release until there is enough good software. Basically he knows it needs a Wii Sports, and he doesn't have it. And until then, they aren't sure the hardware is finished either because the software may need something extra.

But clearly he's promoting the project, and getting devkits out there!

They didn't really precise what is missing for it being ready for launch. They did say tech-wise, the hardware and system software are missing something, but no idea what that is. The lack of release date could be just a question of procurement, or it could be a deeper API or algorithm issue. Developers haven't found the killer app yet, obviously, but it's something industry-wide. They really want this thing to exist but aren't going to push it out and hope someone does something with it. It seems to be the correct course. Whatever is being done on Occulus will be easy to port, so wherever the killer app appears, all competitors will benefit from the discovery.

I don't like the way game journalists always add their own interpretation and exaggerations in-between the real quotes. So here's the interview without any paraphrasing or any journalist interpreting anything, I find it much easier to read. But it's much less dramatic.
"It's very simple from my standpoint,"

"Two things have to happen."

"We have a good system,"

"People enjoy the Morpheus demo, but it's not enough. It's coming close, but there isn't enough in terms of creating real experiences with a sense of presence."

"You really need to be able to feel that you are standing on the edge of a cliff. Tech-wise, there are a few things we want to include to really nail it from a hardware and system software standpoint."

"There are various developers creating VR content,"

"They have been making lots of different types of experiences in VR. And some work really well, others are more difficult. So that learning has to be shared with all the developers in terms of guidelines."

"In terms of game design you experience today (on Project Morpheus), it's more like designing location-based entertainment than games, like a theme park. So, it requires lots of new ways of thinking from both tech and design standpoint. So, until this happens, until we have enough developers very comfortable producing great experiences, we shouldn't bring this to the market."

"Because we need people to know that for the first time VR is possible at a consumer level,"

"And it's so amazing that we know about it, we're so excited, but you really have to experience it to believe it. So we have to take every opportunity to propagate it and let people notice."

"We are basically offering similar experiences and we have the same interest to get people excited and to believe in VR,"

"So that's really important for us."

"We have a long list of waiting developers,"

"What we say to them is, ‘We're going on a journey, there's no release date,'"

"So the caveat's around. We don't know what the price point is going to be. We don't know if we're going to bundle any content with it. We know none of that. So we're going on a journey and you're free to go on that journey with that information. And because many have been doing parallel VR work they say, ‘Hey, I want to try that. I want to see how that works.' "

"But we're definitely rolling out the dev kits and people have been trying some cool stuff out,"

"So as we demo it to more and more publishers and developers, they get interested and so do the studio heads when they start playing around with it,"

"I was literally at an event and I was chatting with some of the senior staff and they were asking ‘What could we do with this?' I was like, ‘Let's get together and do a brainstorming session.' Because you have to think about how do you build something from the ground up for it."

"It's not much more work then goes into making a game 3D stereoscopic,"

"The idea is very similar: you create two images to fall on each eye, so it's pretty straightforward. Maybe a couple weeks to get it running and viewing in the Morpheus, however, you immediately realize the game design for console, or TV doesn't work. It just breaks, it's not a great experience."

"You have to spend lots of time thinking and redesigning your game, or, better yet, start from scratch on VR,"

"It's basically the same as porting from PC to PS4,"

"Once it's on PS4 and they already have stereoscopic stuff that they've dealt with Oculus, it's easy as porting to the platform,"

"But Oculus also works on PC, so you can have a PC dev environment and Morpheus, so you can technically just redeploy that."

"Those things, the developer has to understand and work with,"

"There might be some things the Oculus guys add to their experience that we may not have that I'm not aware of."

"I just love in general the whole spirit of treating it like independent game development,"

"We have this piece of hardware that is not fully done or named and we don't have a release date, but we're trying it out, getting people's feedback on it."

"I've been inspired because most times you see all these companies competing around technology and being super proprietary, but the conversations we've been having with Valve and Oculus around all the VR stuff, it just feels like a bunch of indie devs getting together and jamming on stuff,"

"So it's been neat to see that collaboration. There isn't all these walls of, ‘You can't talk to them.' It's all about how do we solve these problems together because we think the vision is there's going to be an industry here. So all of us are working together to find great content."

It's very clear to me.

"So, until this happens, until we have enough developers very comfortable producing great experiences, we shouldn't bring this to the market."

A new challenger ! Google Cardboard should win on the cost category... ($600 phone not included)

https://developers.google.com/cardboard/

81df0f12fe.gif

Also, none of the Android phones so far has good sensors for orientation tracking. According to reports, Samsung will integrate into their VR phones highend 1440p screen, fast pixel switching times and fast sensors, all that is needed to make VR run better.

Back