Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

This shit is analogous to Walmart buying Gucci or John Deere buying Lamborghini. WTF!!!

The sliver lining may be everybody buying highend gpus for Facebook VR. LOL.

The reality: consumer Rift comes out as planned, but requires FB login and always online connection. That will be the first and last games oriented HMD coming from them. Afterwards, future Rifts require you to navigate a PlayStation Home like world to do anything.

But way before that all happens everyone just stops using FB ;)

....aaaaaaand Occulus will be turned into a patent troll.
It smells like patent warfare from a mile away.

All the anti-FB/Oculus stuff is making me like it more :p

People overreacting and the "we're gonna look at FB in 3D derp" stuff is silly. VR seems like it at least has the potential to be big and this will be a really long term, broad, play for Facebook if at all.

All I think all it really means is now Oculus has a lot of money.

Here's all Palmer Luckey's posts defending the FB deal on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

BTW, I never knew about him until today, kid is 21 and now superrich, from tinkering in his garage with VR stuff at 16. Amazing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...y-meet-the-20-year-old-creator-of-oculus-rift

Also might as well throw in this Carmack tweet since it's super hot off the presses aka just saw it

John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 3m

I can't follow the volume of tweets today, so if you want a real answer to something, try in a couple days after things die down.
John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 4m

For the record, I am coding right now, just like I was last week.I expect the FB deal will avoid several embarrassing scaling crisis for VR.

Also, LOL
John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 1m

I suppose I will get a FB account now, so that may lead to some writing a little longer than tweet length...

Maybe this thread should be cleaned up, now that we know why there was so much effort in making this about Occulus, and spin off the Occulus as off-topic, It has nothing to do with Sony's Morpheus (title), nor Consoles (forum).

Damn.. how was Occulus worth $2B?!
Is not, FB just hasnt been sensible with their money
heres what I wrote here recently
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1829524&postcount=10
19 billion (for whatsapp) makes the 30 million offer for yahoo seem sane.
didnt facebook spend 4 billion on some photoapp a while ago, how did that turn out?

so thats the third bad buy (for the cash), FB has made recently :LOL:

edit
FB should buy King makers of Candy crush next
its a steal -- only $7.6 billion :LOL:

any other 'great' investments, FB should look into?
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-fool-and-his-money-are-soon-parted.html

Last edited by a moderator:

People overreacting and the "we're gonna look at FB in 3D derp" stuff is silly. VR seems like it at least has the potential to be big and this will be a really long term, broad, play for Facebook if at all.

BTW, I never knew about him until today, kid is 21 and now superrich, from tinkering in his garage with VR stuff at 16. Amazing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...y-meet-the-20-year-old-creator-of-oculus-rift

Also might as well throw in this Carmack tweet since it's super hot off the presses aka just saw it

Also, LOL

and in the real world

"not a hardware company, not going to make a profit from them long term, we do this as a software and services thing.
where if we can make it so that this becomes a network where people can be communicating and buying things and virtual goods, and there might be advertising in the world but need to figure that out down the line that's probably where the big bucks will come from." -- http://www.shareholder.com/visitors/event/build3/stage/stage.cfm?mediaid=63723&mediauserid=0

I'd imagine they intend to make a play in some new space with the aquisition, probably starting with some sort of games service. Be interesting to see what their plan is.

There is a lot of talent at oculus but it does seem like a disproportionately large amount of cash to pay for it, but I've never really understood buyout valuations.

Hopefully the bulk of the staff have a decent amount of stock.

So much for cheering for the underdog.

Not much of a Facebook fan. I guess I'll just end up getting whatever, when it's available and cheap.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-11-happy-go-luckey-meet-the-20-year-old-creator-of-oculus-rift

Also, LOL

They have a lot of money and since when did that guarantee anything at all...

Facebook is the EA of social networks. They well deserved have a zero positive vibe around them. And among gamers they pretty much hated. Also well deserved.
They sell users for advertising, everything they do is about advertising and selling information on their users, they don't care about privacy.

Maybe valve will save the pc platform..

Hmmm. Of all the companies that could have invested in VR hardware, like MS, Sony, Nintendo, Samsung, Google, Amazon, who have hardware insight and physical products, I don't see how anyone's first reaction to this news could be anything but confusion at the least, and negative expectations more typically. Facebook is a web software that knows squat about good gaming experiences and has a lot of baggage. What about FB makes you feel this is a good move, and a better one than one of the other companies getting OVR?
Dr Evil said:
Mixed feelings about this, but it should help them to actually ship the product some day.
I didn't think they had any trouble in that regard. They've had no problem getting funding. I don't know why it's taking as long as it has, but OVR has been sustained for a couple of years to work on its project and wasn't showing any signs of crumbling.

As for Morpheus, this news has probably greatly increased interest in the Sony solution for gamer. You know you'll get AAA experiences from Sony with a good gamer system. There's no knowing what the FacebookOVR experience will be.

Excellent news, Project CARS devs just announced that they will fully support Project Morpheus! This is 2nd game that we 100% know that will be supported by this device.
http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-meet-project-morpheus/

BTW, studio boss mentioned few months ago that they will aim to provide 1080p60 for PS4. With the game being as scalable as it is now, they will have no problem to downscale visuals a bit and provide solid VR experience.

:D

I didn't think they had any trouble in that regard. They've had no problem getting funding. I don't know why it's taking as long as it has, but OVR has been sustained for a couple of years to work on its project and wasn't showing any signs of crumbling.

I don't know I kind of got a feeling that these guys were constantly moving their goal post higher and higher on what the quality of the consumer product should be and perhaps their funding level was little too low at the negotiation table on some of the higher tech parts. This move could help them reach their target faster. I wish they just release something already and iterate that to a better product in the future.

I don't know I kind of got a feeling that these guys were constantly moving their goal post higher and higher on what the quality of the consumer product should be and perhaps their funding level was little too low at the negotiation table on some of the higher tech parts. This move could help them reach their target faster. I wish they just release something already and iterate that to a better product in the future.

Yeah, with this kind of funding they can go with custom OLED and lenses and what other hardware they need. They can also redesign the harness to be more comfortable. I'm just suprised it comes from Fb.

Why does Fb interested in the hardware side of things ? I would expect them to acquire some software devs that are developing for Rift, but not acquire Oculus outright. Beside Oculus only have the HMD, VR is not just the HMD. So is Fb going to acquire other parts too ?

I am just afraid that once the consumer Rift is launched and it is below expectation of FB or more importantly investors, it's going to get axed pretty quickly. And I will have to wait another 20 years before VR makes a come back :(

At least Sony has the ecosystem. HMD, controllers, camera, software, etc to make VR work. I am still doubtful whether they can sell it. It was the one thing that Oculus has over Sony is that they can champion VR, but I doubt they can do it under Fb. I am afraid VR is dead once again. I hope I'm wrong.

From Mark Zuckerberg https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971

Looks like the intention is to provide VR remote interactions, with gaming just being a starting point. The future will be VR 'phone calls' where you can hang out with your family. I suppose for that you'd either need VR avatars (Kinect body scanning) or stereoscopic cameras. Which is actually where Sony have an advantage. Sony can release with stereoscopic VR, from a fixed position, and then maybe remote robots or something oddball. That'd be very Japanese! Facebook's ambitions must be long term, so I guess it's business as usual for OVR, probably accelerated to an actual market so FB can secure early market- and mind-share.

Hmmm. Of all the companies that could have invested in VR hardware, like MS, Sony, Nintendo, Samsung, Google, Amazon, who have hardware insight and physical products, I don't see how anyone's first reaction to this news could be anything but confusion at the least, and negative expectations more typically. Facebook is a web software that knows squat about good gaming experiences and has a lot of baggage.

My thoughts exactly. Why not shop OR to someone who knows what it takes to go from the drawing board to the retail shelves with hardware products.

All FB has is money. No expertise in engineering, production, design or product retail.

My thoughts exactly. Why not shop OR to someone who knows what it takes to go from the drawing board to the retail shelves with hardware products.

All FB has is money. No expertise in engineering, production, design or product retail.
To be fair, that expertise can be bought in and that's something OVR will be able to do now. But the hardware companies with existing production and distribution channels are a much more obvious choice.

Shop? Sorry but no one in their right mind would have given them all this money. Only FB and their crazy valuations.
You can call the expertise police all you want, but in front of $2bn not many would have said no. Even though it's a typical FB deal - "only" $400m cash and the rest in FB shares which can't be sold before 2 or 3 years - and god know what they will be worth then.
Huge risk for everyone involved.

Back