Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I'm speculating on a structuring things from the outset to target the latencies and frame rates that seem to be the minimum for a good VR experience.
If the games don't have a mode with that sort of frame rate target, they may not be structured to give it without significant compromise. This is going on very little knowledge about the upcoming Infamous and Dark Souls 2, however.
Dark Souls 2 looks like it may have made serious compromises just to get to where it is, so I dunno.

What about the PS4 inFamous ? Is there room for VR based on what we know so far ?
Given how long Sony have seemingly be working on this, I am certain that many of Worldwide Studios took engineering decisions to make supporting the VR headset easier down the road. Having said that, I also think actual retrospective support will depend on the launch window of the VR headset.

I.e. if this thing doesn't get released until next year then supporting it in Infamous Second Son may not have been a priority, but for Sony's Worldwide Studios launching games anywhere near the headsets launch window, I think support will be much more important.

Given how long Sony have seemingly be working on this, I am certain that many of Worldwide Studios took engineering decisions to make supporting the VR headset easier down the road. Having said that, I also think actual retrospective support will depend on the launch window of the VR headset.

As far as I'm aware the initial impetus for this came out of one of the US studios.
Though I will note they still haven't announced it as a product, probably waiting to gauge reaction after GDC.

The only games that will be good candidates for VR will be 1080p with 60fps, no? You need that solid 60Hz and 960x1080p per eye.

The Killzone MP rendering choices look like they aligned with this (maybe because of similar performance demands or early testing??), which in retrospect may have been informed by the constraints and choices made for the engine for KZ3's stereoscopic mode.
While reprojection between two frames for 60 FPS wouldn't be temporal, the engine could be structured so that the renderer just sees it as a choice in which buffer it reads from.

I think the data could be segregated into tiers. Given the complexity of materials these days and environmental inputs, there would be data references and calculations that are not affected by the left/right offset, those that are not significantly affected, and then those that might need to be done per-frame. Even the latter case might be interesting if the calculations or reads have a relationship that allows them to be recalculated based on the known relative position of the cameras. A merging of the phases might allow for better cache and fixed-function utilization.

We'd have a phase composed of all the work that could be done once per frame pair, and possibly a further subdivision for data that might be usable for some kind of temporal reprojection to reduce the work for the next frame pair.
Then there'd be data that the engine might be able to reproject from one eye to the other.
Then there'd be the highly variable stuff in a third phase, although if there are tweaks to the architecture like Sony's desire to use compute as an input to the front end, some of the submission work could be reused or recalculated on the fly.

The area I'm curious about is primitive setup and fragment coverage, particularly if tessellation gets involved. The details for whether the setup pipeline can be used to provide fragment data for two different viewports at the same time, or the other frame can be extrapolated from the results escape me.
GCN's behavior under tessellation is the one area where hitting the stereoscopic 2x worst-case would be a good result.

I'm wondering if this is now the time and application to reconsider frameless rendering

It's worth mentioning at this point that Valve seemed to think a 95hz refresh was necessary for presence. Not sure if that means 95fps as well or purely just 95hz refresh with repeated frames. Clearly Sony thinks differently though.

Can't wait to see some proper comparisons with DK2. Clearly though both products are likely to improve before retail launch so where they'll ultimately end up is anyone's guess.

As far as I'm aware the initial impetus for this came out of one of the US studios.
Interesting. Hope it wasn't the cancelled Sony Santa Monica Project :eek:

Though I will note they still haven't announced it as a product, probably waiting to gauge reaction after GDC.
Very true, although I assume they're reasonably confident in it's capabilities and viability as a gaming interface if they're happy for the general public to know of its existence.

As for Second Son, or any other third person shooter, I can't imagine playing games like this using a VR headset where I think the advantages most favour first person views. If your view/the camera can stray from your gaming avatar, that sounds both disconcerting and disconnected to me - unless it'll just a more control to pan left/right for the camera.

Don't worry too much about specs. It's the software and concepts that will make things interesting.

Hopefully someone will hack this for other platforms. :)

why we have the rift already for the pc. The new dev kit is $350 with a 1080p screen and a camera

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/oculus-rift-development-kit-2/

Screen door isn't just about resolution in this case.
I don't know what screen the CC rift is using, but there are factors beyond resolution that matter. The screen in the prototype I used was not manufactured by Sony, but it was selected specifically to reduce some of the screen door effect that was visible on the earlier Rift prototypes.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I've seen a ton of mods people have done to get the screen door on the original rift gone and nothing comes close to simply upping the resolution.

That's why i'm hoping the rift goes to a 1440p screen

It's worth mentioning at this point that Valve seemed to think a 95hz refresh was necessary for presence. Not sure if that means 95fps as well or purely just 95hz refresh with repeated frames. Clearly Sony thinks differently though.

Can't wait to see some proper comparisons with DK2. Clearly though both products are likely to improve before retail launch so where they'll ultimately end up is anyone's guess.

To be precise, Abrash said that 95Hz is his current estimate and that lower number could also work. It was a part of his video presentation, you can find it on YT. He also said that with increase of resolution, strobing needs to become more frequent.

edit - http://instagram.com/p/lvAmnRCd3o/#

Btw, intial impressions from people is that there is a slight blurring, tracking is good, camera can track both the head, body and hands, ergonomics are perfect, usability is easy. Sony says that final version of Morpheus will not come out in 2014. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Carmack answered my tweet and claims it's because of the two viewpoints and the performance throughput requirements:

ZMipGFK.png

Right now this thing requires both HDMI and USB connections. I'm curious how that will work in a living room type environment. You'd need an HDMI receiver with more than 1 output (does that exist?) or an HDMI switch, I guess, so you could switch between your tv or the headset. Do HDMI outputs on tvs generally add lag? The USB connection would have to plug in to the console as well, because it requires power over USB. Maybe things will change. Seems like it's ideally used at a desk, like in a pc setup. This is one of the hurdles for VR that I wasn't sure how MS and Sony would solve.

Right now this thing requires both HDMI and USB connections. I'm curious how that will work in a living room type environment. You'd need an HDMI receiver with more than 1 output (does that exist?) or an HDMI switch, I guess, so you could switch between your tv or the headset. Do HDMI outputs on tvs generally add lag? The USB connection would have to plug in to the console as well, because it requires power over USB. Maybe things will change. Seems like it's ideally used at a desk, like in a pc setup. This is one of the hurdles for VR that I wasn't sure how MS and Sony would solve.

You will need a VR set that supports/comes with a the split output, and with HDMI lip sync it shouldn't be a problem with syncing your sound to the VR set, at least i don't think so. USB cable to power the headset shouldn't be a problem.

Unless there is a solid solution for a Wireless version i would rather battle cable and get a way better experience.

Right now this thing requires both HDMI and USB connections. I'm curious how that will work in a living room type environment. You'd need an HDMI receiver with more than 1 output (does that exist?) or an HDMI switch, I guess, so you could switch between your tv or the headset.

From the Verge article:

Verge said:
It connects via HDMI and USB; while the current prototype uses a 5-meter cable, Sony would like to make it wireless.

Cool name, but if they don't get Laurence Fishburne in on the marketing campaign they deserve to fail.

With one dodgy eye that barely works I guess this won't be for me, but it's nice to see progress being made in this arena.

Crytek already did this. Reprojection was used for 3D rendering of Crysis 2.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crysis2-face-off?page=3
With great results I might add, both in Crysis 2 and Crysis 1. Maybe not as good as proper 3D but very convincing overall. That's how I used my brand new 3D glasses for the first time.

Well Carmack answered my tweet and claims it's because of the two viewpoints and the performance throughput requirements:

ZMipGFK.png
Oh my... You're a lucky guy.

Looks slicker than other VR systems out there --designs aren't final for them anyways, I suppose.

It adds another level of interest to a rather standard console, and it is going to be interesting how consoles fare compared to the PC when it comes to 3D VR. Very cool times ahead.

Back