Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Don't worry too much about specs. It's the software and concepts that will make things interesting.

Hopefully someone will hack this for other platforms. :)

Thank you for the answer. I've used the original dev kit and a modded dev kit with an lg screen on it . I've also used crystal cove and the screen door is still there. That's why I was hoping sony would flex some of its muscle (they do still make screens right ?) and put something better in there

Screen door isn't just about resolution in this case.
I don't know what screen the CC rift is using, but there are factors beyond resolution that matter. The screen in the prototype I used was not manufactured by Sony, but it was selected specifically to reduce some of the screen door effect that was visible on the earlier Rift prototypes.

Screen door isn't just about resolution in this case.
I don't know what screen the CC rift is using, but there are factors beyond resolution that matter. The screen in the prototype I used was not manufactured by Sony, but it was selected specifically to reduce some of the screen door effect that was visible on the earlier Rift prototypes.

Did you feel giddy after using it ? How long did you play ?

Any guesses on the R&D cost associated with moving in this direction both in terms of capital and potential overhead from a planning and project management perspective? I ask bc while VR is interesting to me the additional resource allocation is a very real concern. Why are they continuing to pursue big risky plays in this space when there is little evidence to suggest VR will be widely adopted?

Sony isn't in the most healthy place atm so while I like VR and will likely buy it, I question if the timing is right for a commercial go. Additionally with all the work that needs to be done to the core OS, investment in first party core games, infrastructure cost for PS NOW and potential captial expense from contracts for IP TV does Sony really have the bandwidth and $$$ to take this on right now?

It seems to me that the smart play would be to license/partner with Occulus Rift and AMD's Mantle initiative and push to get the engine and tool people to adopt AMD Mantle and what ever standards the Occulus Rift folks come up as the industry standards which would make porting simpler. Let the investor community already associated with Occulus Rift do the heavy lifting and let Sony corporate focus on building out the Playstation brand by continuing to refine PS4 both interms of the OS, tools and games. I fear Sony is spreading themselves too thin.

I think it's a very natural step from them to take on and suits their product line up very well. I doubt this puts any sort of negative burden on them. They are bound to do RD on most of the necessary fields any way.

I'm very happy about what they have shown, now we wait for impressions from the showfloor, game announcements and info about consumer model [I hope for great AMOLED/OLED and wireless tech, everything else is great].

Interaction with PS Move and the control pad are the biggest advantages over Occulus IMO. Strangely they didn't mention body tracking with PS Move but I assume it's coming unless the camera just isn't up to it. Still, between the standardised movement tracking and the fact that they're aiming for presence, this could quite easily 1 up Occulus. I'm a big PC gamer but VR excites the hell out of me. If Occulus can't match this technically (with movement tracking) and on the software front (in terms of decent apps and games that make not only good use of the VR headset but also of hand/body tracking) then I'd be seriously tempted to pick up a PS4 and transfer my flag there.

Incidentally, 3D Audio = TrueAudio (more or less) ?

Question: wouldn't a wireless VR add extra latency?

Also it think the thread name can be changed into "Sony VR Headset a.k.a Project Morpheus"

so does anyone think Sony might be using their screens from their Smartphone Z1 line? or maybe an updated version down the road.

1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
Triluminos display
X-Reality Engine

I have a Triluminos Sony TV and it looks amazing.

The design looks great, but where are the tracking leds? Are they the blue glow areas?

I'm scared it might not work with prescription glasses, it looks too small for that. :mad:

yeah those glowing areas, and if you notice, it even glows on the back of the device. Hence being able to turn 360 degrees.

I believe they said it will work with Glasses.

With the screens placed close to the eye (5-10 cm) wearing glasses should not be necessary, even with presbyopia.

Interaction with PS Move and the control pad are the biggest advantages over Occulus IMO. Strangely they didn't mention body tracking with PS Move but I assume it's coming unless the camera just isn't up to it. Still, between the standardised movement tracking and the fact that they're aiming for presence, this could quite easily 1 up Occulus. I'm a big PC gamer but VR excites the hell out of me. If Occulus can't match this technically (with movement tracking) and on the software front (in terms of decent apps and games that make not only good use of the VR headset but also of hand/body tracking) then I'd be seriously tempted to pick up a PS4 and transfer my flag there.

Incidentally, 3D Audio = TrueAudio (more or less) ?

I believe they said that there will not be body tracking regarding your legs or anything. But using the Move to control arms can be pretty accurate.

I've played their PSN Game Datura which allows you to use 2 move controllers. One to control a hand in the game...and the other I taped on top of my cap for head/position tracking. I also have the Sony HMZ Headset.... it was a pretty surreal experience.

As far as PC, I believe some folks online have been able to get Move controllers to work with PCs.

but if that isn't the case, PCs also have (as i was about to continue I decided to do some quick research)

well look what I have found... this might be what you are looking for.

http://www.damngeeky.com/2013/07/18...-motion-tracking-controller-on-the-cards.html
There is a good news for Razer Hydra gaming controller enthusiasts as Sixense Entertainment (developer of PlayStation Move controller for Portal 2) is working on developing wireless motion tracking controller and software development kit (SDK). With support for Oculus Rift and the content created for Sixense-developed Razer Hydra motion controller, this new announcement will surely bring a smile to developer’s face and not to mention the gamers. This wireless tracking development kit can be deemed as the next Hydra 2 and it provides an amazing 6 degree of freedom tracking that is capable of determining the correct position of controller and the orientation.

This extends the gameplay and allows the gamer to immerse himself in the intense action as the system is capable or tracking the hands in virtual reality environment. This unit will support simultaneous tracking of three devices; a positional tracker that can be attached to your clothes and the regular two controllers.

Sixense-Entertainment-wireless-motion-tracking-controller-and-software-development-kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds interesting but the biggest challenge for Occulus is standardisation. Developers cant rely on users having both Occulus and a separate 3rd partly motion tracking device. Seems to me Occulus needs to launch with the motion tracking capability as part of the package or it'll just go unused. Unlike tracking in Morpheus which I'd expect to be present in most if not all games.

But yeah, seems like full body tracking is out for now. even with kinect apparently due to too high latency. Also the Morpheus prototype is wired on a 5m cable.

It sounds interesting but the biggest challenge for Occulus is standardisation. Developers cant rely on users having both Occulus and a separate 3rd partly motion tracking device. Seems to me Occulus needs to launch with the motion tracking capability as part of the package or it'll just go unused. Unlike tracking in Morpheus which I'd expect to be present in most if not all games.

But yeah, seems like full body tracking is out for now. even with kinect apparently due to too high latency. Also the Morpheus prototype is wired on a 5m cable.

I think their final retail product might, if their Crystal Cove version is anything to go by.

Oculus-Rift-Crystal-Cove.jpg

they would just have to add sensors on the back of the device. I don't know if it will be as accurate as Sony's version. Regarding their camera specs

Regarding the sound, here's this quote from The Verge:

Marks says SCEA R&D has developed some new binaural tech to help with that. No details yet.

And then there's this slide showing their current software partners for project Morpheus:

sTkb0T8.jpg

Both fmod and Wwise are in there, so this thing will probably use AMD's TrueAudio dev tools for binaural 3d sound with HRTF or HRBF.
I'm guessing/hoping this means good news for people with TrueAudio GPUs/APUs in the PC.

And looking at the shape of the VR set.. could it be sporting a bone conduction set instead of traditional speakers?

Project Morpheus does not have its own speakers. They mentioned on the conference that is has 3.5mm jack and that it has enough space around the ears to support all 3rd party headsets.

Same setup as DS4 then.

the hmd z1 or whatever has 1.5 inch 720p screens which is 980 ppi while a 5inch screen at 1080 p is 440 .
They won't help with perceived resolution as that's all pixel-layout, spacing, and FOV. 2x1.5" screens would be smaller and lighter though. However, there was little chance of these making it into a mainstream product with a mainstream price. The world's highest density commodity OLED screen was always going to have trouble matching commodity phone screens.

Do we get full screen utilisation, or are areas cropped like OR? That could reduce final res.

Haha wow.. just give me a GT7 Prototype and these glasses and i am in happy land, screw tracking just give me inside the car vision.. holy fuck

DSoup said:
The one where Sony disappoint us with something. I'm very excited.

They did it, they actually came through with a dream as old as the 80s where i saw my first VR headset and thought, noway

I was kind of hoping Occulus Rift would beat Sony and Microsoft to market and get the lions share, because they're the ones that have brought people back around to VR again. All the press the last couple years, and the big kickstarter campaign. But it's hard to compete with the giants.

Should be a really interesting product. If I had a PS4, I'd definitely get one unless the price was outrageous.

That's a little too harsh I think. PS4 is around 10x PS3 horsepower, it should be capable to extract more visual performance in its VR games.

Plus devs now for the first time have a great interest in creating 3D rendering pipelines that are fast and efficient.

Back