Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of Spacey in the game, of course, as he appears in gameplay on several levels, in-engine cinematics and such.

But I'm not sure how much I can talk about the project - obviously Activision wants to have approval on everything about the game and such. However I'll make sure to post links to anything we might publish though; fxguide for example did a few BTS articles on our projects, or maybe there'll be some official publicity stuff. Although I think it's safe to say that any such project would certainly have lots of funny stuff on top of the hard work... Like, when an actor messes up the lines or improvises something cool, and so on ;)

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to meet anyone from the cast though, all the capture and stuff was done in the US and I've only visited Sledgehammer once, at the start of the project. But this was truly the greatest project I've ever been involved in... well, so far :p

Well how else would I know about the actual performances? :)

Yeah I've been the character modeling lead on the project.

You guys did an excellent job with the CGI, overall probably the most impressive i've seen in a game.

This is a nice scene with Mr.Spacey:
s1_sp64_ship_2014_11_tyrep.jpg

That little part is just too good :D

@Laa-Yosh Why do some of the scenes end up looking like the eyes are a bit stiff though ? even someone like Conan who knows nothing about it felt the eyes looked dead in the scene that was in his video. Also I personally feel that the gif you posted was from the best cutscene in the game animation and lighting wise.

ok thanks !

could someone with the game post some pictures of ingame cinematics spacey so we could compare both ?

I have a much better screenshot with me from this same location, since this is quite compressed.

SfGTxYi.jpg

Inh4xW4.jpg

pYiWvfT.jpg

Bonus, his son (character)
http://i.imgur.com/PzxnNBl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot, guys, again - it really means a lot to get any kind of feedback after working so much!

I'd rather not comment on anything else; apart from stating that video games simply don't have the luxury of movie VFX budgets and schedules, even if the expectations are getting closer and closer.

Thanks guys! It was a really exhausting project and everyone pushed very hard to make it the best we could :)

Also, I guess you can now understand my previous post about working with scan data... ;)

Absolutely superb work and some of the best CGI and facial capture I have seen, I salute you on a job well done.

Upcoming 2-day PlayStation Experience event will have 20 developer panels, including this one:

Modeling Nathan Drake: Bringing an Iconic Character to the PS4
"Discover the process of making iconic treasure hunter, Nathan Drake, come to life for the PS4. From concept art to 3D model to the trailer you watched at E3 2014, go behind-the-scenes to learn how characters are built the Naughty Dog way. Featuring Frank Tzeng, Yibing Jiang, Colin Thomas, Ryan Trowbridge, and Ashley Swidowski."

Sony did not announce if these panels will be streamed or released later online.

@Laa-Yosh Why do some of the scenes end up looking like the eyes are a bit stiff though ? even someone like Conan who knows nothing about it felt the eyes looked dead in the scene that was in his video. Also I personally feel that the gif you posted was from the best cutscene in the game animation and lighting wise.

I have a much better screenshot with me from this same location, since this is quite compressed.

SfGTxYi.jpg

Inh4xW4.jpg

pYiWvfT.jpg

Bonus, his son (character)
http://i.imgur.com/PzxnNBl.jpg
You know what I find annoying sometimes with games? The 3D perspective. It kind of kills the facial proportions of a character when he is near the camera. Its like you are looking through one huge eye and the characters are small and too close to that big eye.

Could be. Asset creation tools have advanced a LOT so it's easier to make better looking stuff, even from less resources.

That's an hour long video, how did you manage to draw conclusions so quickly???

BTW I still think he's looking more and more like Nathan Fillion. Which is the best possible approach obviously.

That's an hour long video, how did you manage to draw conclusions so quickly???

BTW I still think he's looking more and more like Nathan Fillion. Which is the best possible approach obviously.

Well I skipped the introductions and got to the part when they talk about the stitching - great detail - and now just watching the rest and so far it's brilliant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back