DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

Xbox One is DirectX 11.2, but I guess Turn 10 had access to lower hardware level on Xbox One for Forza 5.

EDIT: Maybe DX12 will allow that level to other developers?

I doubt Turn10 had any special low-level access that is not available to other developers. The only question is whether Xbox One's API already covers the new model of DirectX 12, or allows the same functionality even if it is exposed differently.

What are the changes presents in dx12 that are not in the one's api?
They hint at some features, but they are not specified.
thumb900_phpsvgfplp1010612.jpg

Finally! It seems that Windows 8 games (hope this includes apps) will be easily ported to Xbox One. I want Chess4All and Throne Together.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/20/xbo...games-easily-onto-the-console-says-microsoft/

It'll be interesting to see DICE add DX12 support to Frostbite and then chime in on how DX11, DX12, and Mantle compare in things like overhead and overall performance. ie. Is Mantle still necessary if DX12 can address the performance/overhead issues and DX12 is cross-platform with support for Xbox One.

4 man-months is actually a pretty long time to port a renderer. Makes me think the DirectX12 API and the DirectX API on the Xbox One are considerably different. Sounds like it is a mix of some things already being available on Xbox One and some not. It would be interesting to hear the presentation that accompanied that slide.

If I understand it, and I don't understand it, after the api upgrade the titles that will use it will increase framerate and maybe polygons, but not resolution?

If I'm not mistaken directx supports 16kx16k how much resolution do you want ?
edit: unless you mean directx on the xbox

4 man-months is actually a pretty long time to port a renderer. Makes me think the DirectX12 API and the DirectX API on the Xbox One are considerably different. Sounds like it is a mix of some things already being available on Xbox One and some not. It would be interesting to hear the presentation that accompanied that slide.

Dont X1 devs have access to something called the Mono driver?

So what quite a few of us were predicting then?... And zero benefit to XB1 (making me question the relevance of a DX12 discussion in the console forum).

Well the MS guys didn't really help fanning the flames with the "watch this space" comments to their fans on twitter.

So what quite a few of us were predicting then?... And zero benefit to XB1 (making me question the relevance of a DX12 discussion in the console forum).

How so? I'm genuinely curious to know what is and is not different from xbox one direct3d. It sounds like a lot has changed from directx11.

Apparently it will improve performance on xb1 as well:

http://games.yahoo.com/news/xbox-one-see-improved-performance-184529517.html

...although no numbers as to how much.

I wonder if they mean "cause X1 will handle DX12 PC ports better due to more similarities with X1 API than DX11".

Using the actual Direct X 12 on X1 would seem kind of like a heavy API, regardless how streamlined it is on PC. Yet they claim it'll improve performance (over the current API?) Maybe they mean parts of it.

Apparently it will improve performance on xb1 as well:

http://games.yahoo.com/news/xbox-one-see-improved-performance-184529517.html

...although no numbers as to how much.
Just more nuggets to give xbox one owners and potential owners something to cling too.

I'm pretty sure the only thing thats going to really improve visuals is increased knowledge as the system matures and devs get more games out on the system, you know like always happens every console generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Nearly zero D3D rendering overhead" suggests to me there's already no room for improvement on X1. It's still confusing. Too bad there's not audio of the presentation. The 4ms/20Gflops is also kind of meaningless without knowing the GPU they're referring too.

I dont doubt X1 will see bigger gains over time than other consoles due to it's more complex architecture.

That's another weird thing, I didn't think DX cant accommodate the ESRAM.

*SHRUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG*
Forza Motorsport 5 running on the Xbox One may look even better after the console gets DirectX 12.

LOL. That obviously doesn't even make sense. But much of it is being reported by mainstream media that obviously doesn't have a clue.

Back