DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

New hardware is NOT required to benefit from DX12. Existing users will benefit from day 1.

Support extends back to Fermi on NV GPU's. Wonder how that fits in with DX11.2 level hardware features?

There needs to be a bombshell in every presentation.. lol

I thought it was crazy at first but if you consider that early XB1 dev kits were running on NV hardware too then it may not be that big a deal. Doesn't necessarily mean there's a PC port in the works or anything as cool as that!

This is a great slide:

phpbqgzejp1010605.jpg

I think this is a big deal.

In addition to command lists, Direct3D 12 also introduces a second level of work pre-computation, bundles. Unlike command lists which are completely self-contained and typically constructed, submitted once, and discarded, bundles provide a form of state inheritance which permits reuse. For example, if a game wants to draw two character models with different textures, one approach is to record a command list with two sets of identical draw calls. But another approach is to “record” one bundle that draws a single character model, then “play back” the bundle twice on the command list using different resources. In the latter case, the driver only has to compute the appropriate instructions once, and creating the command list essentially amounts to two low-cost function calls.

Should help a lot for rendering scenery I think... like an audience standing on a racing track...

Oh dear, targeting end of 2015 for games. So almost 2 years away. Now do we think this was influenced by Mantle?

That is disappointing, but is that perhaps because they want it working across all their platforms including console, pc, tablets, phone, etc...? That might explain the delay. So hypothetically if you start building your game now, then you can deliver it to multiple targets come end of 2015.

That is disappointing, but is that perhaps because they want it working across all their platforms including console, pc, tablets, phone, etc...? That might explain the delay. So hypothetically if you start building your game now, then you can deliver it to multiple targets come end of 2015.

Windows 8 update? :p :(

----

Funny they had the slide with Halo. >_< Real funny. :(

Well they showcased D3D12, but completely skipped out on DirectX12 graphical feature set. I guess it's not quite finalized yet either.

Q: Does DirectX 12 include anything besides Direct3D 12?
A: Also new is a set of cutting-edge graphics tools for developers. Since this is a preview of DirectX 12 focused on Direct3D 12, other technologies may be previewed at a later date.

They said that now you can port any DirectX 11 game to DirectX 12 and its enhanced features without almost 0 work involved --less than a month, maybe days. And that's pretty cool.

I am becoming a PC gamer at heart too -console gamer here- and it seems like my rather average Intel HD3000 is going to carry on a little more. :smile2:

Along with my Intel i5-2450M. Still I am planning what my PC will be next. I am thinking about either a powerful laptop or a Surface Pro 2 (or 3, if it comes out by then)...

Forza Motorsport 5 is an example of a game that pushes the Xbox One to the limit with its fast-paced photorealistic racing experience. Under the hood, Forza achieves this by using the efficient low-level APIs already available on Xbox One today. Traditionally this level of efficiency was only available on console – now, Direct3D 12, even in an alpha state, brings this efficiency to PC and Phone as well. By porting their Xbox One Direct3D 11.X core rendering engine to use Direct3D 12 on PC, Turn 10 was able to bring that console-level efficiency to their PC tech demo.

It looks like PC will benefit from Xbox One, but Xbox One will not gain any new feature, only easy porting from PC.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/directx-12/

DirectX 12 was designed from scratch to provide the infrastructure for these advanced applications.

Our work with Microsoft on DirectX 12 began more than four years ago with discussions about reducing resource overhead. For the past year, NVIDIA has been working closely with the DirectX team to deliver a working design and implementation of DX12 at GDC.

How similar is the X1 API to the DX12 announced features?: pipeline state objects, bundles and command lists, descriptor heaps and tables

Back