Batman: Arkham Knight [PS4,XO]

I remember Epic Games saying that during the transition to the next generation some developers would still be using UE3. Seems like they were right.

Back in 2011, UE3 received a major update that coincided with the release of the Samaritan demo: http://www.unrealengine.com/news/epic_games_releases_march_2011_unreal_development_kit_beta/

I don't remember seeing a single UE3 game using any of those features or looking like Samaritan, because these games were still being made for last-gen consoles. Despite the engine being superseded now, and UE4 obviously being able to create superior image quality, UE3 still hasn't been used to its maximum potential apparently.

2ItGvKR.jpg

Ys1plEt.jpg

X8pZxNd.jpg

Game looks mighty impressive :smile:

I don't know, the game still has that plastic UE3 look, are they even using the Physically based Lighting? And game like this could really benefit from realtime reflections.

I understand but my main point is the fact that in theory, UE4 streamlines the whole production and makes it easier and faster to get a game up and running.

that is what EPIC's PR team is saying . Please remember same situation with UE 3.0 . They were saying it can do miracles but in fact it was barely working at all. It needed like 4 years to make dynamic shadows work .

I really hope they'll focus on gameplay, stable framerates and image quality.

Please do not try to impress us with millions of shaders and effects.

I remember Epic Games saying that during the transition to the next generation some developers would still be using UE3. Seems like they were right.

Back in 2011, UE3 received a major update that coincided with the release of the Samaritan demo: http://www.unrealengine.com/news/epic_games_releases_march_2011_unreal_development_kit_beta/

I don't remember seeing a single UE3 game using any of those features or looking like Samaritan, because these games were still being made for last-gen consoles. Despite the engine being superseded now, and UE4 obviously being able to create superior image quality, UE3 still hasn't been used to its maximum potential apparently.
Most of the effects showcased in the Samaritan demo have been used in games since. The most evident is tessellation, which even featured in the PC ports of Arkham City and Origins.

I dabbled with UDK and found I got better results with the DX9 reflections than DX11, but I couldn't simply toggle between one or the other, and would have had to commit to all DX9 or all DX11 to ensure anyone that could play my stuff would have consistently working reflections. Not having to support legacy platforms means Rocksteady can now commit to using all the DX11 features without compromise.

What was done in the Samaritan demo is totally achievable by people outside of Epic. Just check out this Mass Effect-styled character and these WIP images from a game in development. I've been more impressed by what indie developers and artists have been able to do with the engine than what Epic or any other triple-A developer have so far produced. I don't think Rocksteady will disappoint.

I think Remember Me is probably the most impressive looking UE3 game I've seen so far. It barely even looks like an UE3 game. Not bad for a medium-sized developer.

What is so exciting about those images? High poly count for characters and some AO, that seems to be about it. Not talking about the gameplay but not really the idea of next gen visuals. Not something that gets me excited. If it is fun, I'll be interested but these screens won't make me buy it, thats for sure. And the clean IQ shown here might just mean Bullshots anyways.

What are "next gen visuals"?

Very subjective and depends on the game a fair amount. Are they all supposed to look like CGI in real time? Clearly not possible with the limitations.

Maybe for linear or limited games like fighting games and third person action games, but for an open world game with lots of things going on at the same time i'd say Batman actually looks really good. Also, UE3 leaves things to be desired to begin with

Well... Order managed to hit the look of CGI in real time. But Batman is much different game. Open world, based on Unreal, it has its own visual style, and the devs like to promote their games with kickas Blur CGI that we know they will never mange to replicate...

What is so exciting about those images? ....And the clean IQ shown here might just mean Bullshots anyways.
They look identical to the bullshots from the previous games, so they almost certainly are. I don't see anything exceptionally next-gen about it either, so I guess we'll wait and see. I'll want to see actual in-game screenshots before I decide if it looks good or not.

Well... Order managed to hit the look of CGI in real time. But Batman is much different game. Open world, based on Unreal, it has its own visual style, and the devs like to promote their games with kickas Blur CGI that we know they will never mange to replicate...
Yeah The Order is first of its kind when gameplay just looked down right CGI, like it can fool you without much effort.
I highly doubt an open world game like Batman can reach the height of Samaritan using UE3, maybe in prerendered cutscene.

Nar it was originally ran on a tri 580 sli setup at 1440p then they used a single 680 to run the same demo with FXAA instead of 4xmsaa.

Guys, experiment googling marketing screens from batman arkham city, and looking at them side by side with these Arkham Knights Screens. You'd be surprised by how bad looking City's look in comparison to this.
Not that I disagree that these new screens aren't that awe inspiring, but once you compare both you see lighting and shading is vastly superior. Diminishing returns, diminishing returns, oh how cruel are they being this gen...

Back