(Why) does *SELECT Country* reject creative works from *SELECT other Country* spawn

zed

Legend
I guess they dont have quite as much aversion to that series as they do most western games for some reason.
I know films better than games
So answer me this
when is the last time a japanese film was in the US top 10 box office, sure they make perhaps 1/10 of what the US does but taking that into consideration why are americans adverse to japanese films? The reverse happens often (US films in japanese boxoffice)

Myself from the 10 films Ive rated 10/10 on IMDB 2 are from japan

I know films better than games
So answer me this
when is the last time a japanese film was in the US top 10 box office, sure they make perhaps 1/10 of what the US does but taking that into consideration why are americans adverse to japanese films? The reverse happens often (US films in japanese boxoffice)

Myself from the 10 films Ive rated 10/10 on IMDB 2 are from japan

Japanese movies are usually in Japanese, sometimes they have cultural elements not easily accepted in the west, and are lower budget. Then its the fact that Hollywood is so huge that it became globally a force of influence. Infernal Affairs isnt japanese but out of curiosity how did it do compared to the western version called Departed? How about Ringu vs the Ring?

Asian movies in general arent as popular but once we move on to anime, there is certainly anime craze in the west and the oservation is kind of reversed. Where hollywood own movies and the westerns are experts in life movie production, japan owns animation because they have more expertise and larger production in that industry

Japanese movies are usually in Japanese, sometimes they have cultural elements not easily accepted in the west, and are lower budget. Then its the fact that Hollywood is so huge that it became globally a force of influence. Infernal Affairs isnt japanese but out of curiosity how did it do compared to the western version called Departed? How about Ringu vs the Ring?

Asian movies in general arent as popular but once we move on to anime, there is certainly anime craze in the west and the oservation is kind of reversed. Where hollywood own movies and the westerns are experts in life movie production, japan owns animation because they have more expertise and larger production in that industry

This is almost taste and cultural indoctrination in my book.

I find most Hollywood films to be seriously fluffy pinkish happeyending stuff. While Asian movies are more gritted and cruel. Ie one wants to give you hope that you can rise and make it to the top. Asian movies not so much, best you can hope for is that you survive and are able to get on with your life in due course. At the same social standing you where at before the movie story started :D

I hate dubbed movies, cultural thing surely, since Norway never dubbed any movies except for childrens movies. We subtitle everything, english, swedish, chinese etc, but keep the original sound.

Unless MS payed ~$50mil for it, EA/Respawn screwed up bigtime; It should have been multiplatform if they want it to be as big as CoD.
Acti/Bungie have done a much better job for Destiny.

I dont know if they screwed up since its an unproven IP... Hindsight, maybe they should have made it available on all platforms if mindshare was their main goal of this title.

However it is not an exclusive title and plenty of people will be able to play on the 360 and the PC (Its a source game and from benchmarks even a modest PC runs the game very very well).

I find most Hollywood films to be seriously fluffy pinkish happeyending stuff. While Asian movies are more gritted and cruel. Ie one wants to give you hope that you can rise and make it to the top. Asian movies not so much, best you can hope for is that you survive and are able to get on with your life in due course. At the same social standing you where at before the movie story started :D

This is why I like Asian movies ;)

Welp. I have to say I think this shows Amazon is Sony land as while Sony is no doubt selling more software in the USA, I doubt it's nearly as large an edge as that chart indicates...

Things of note, obviously only two XB games in the top 100 vs 12 PS4. Titanfall leading all next gen software, and Infamous not doing particularly well (it comes out only 10 days after Titanfall, so a farther release isn't a total excuse). BTW I checked (since it wasn't a factor of 7 days away from Titanfall) and March 21 for Infamous is an odd Friday release.

The problem for Microsoft is that every game is a possible system seller for PS4 because thats the cheapest way to play it..

I hate dubbed movies, cultural thing surely, since Norway never dubbed any movies except for childrens movies. We subtitle everything, english, swedish, chinese etc, but keep the original sound.

I'd love to see Hollywood make Battle Royal or Ichi!!

when is the last time a japanese film was in the US top 10 box office

Sony Pictures are producing plenty of great movies in English, maybe other .jp studies should do the same :)

There is a world of difference between english language games and japanese and afaik english is even that well spoken in japan?

Yes its like Nesh is actually strengthening my case, instead of what he wanted to do (the opposite)
All I saying is every country/ppl have different tastes in a general sense, blaming the relative failure of western games in japan/far east cause of peceived racism is just wrong.
why didnt these titles sell big in the west, they sold decent in japan
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
Dynasty Warriors 8
etc
is it cause we're racist here that we're not buying them, which is what rangers and others are arguing, Im saying no its cultural differences?

Yes its like Nesh is actually strengthening my case, instead of what he wanted to do (the opposite)
All I saying is every country/ppl have different tastes in a general sense, blaming the relative failure of western games in japan/far east cause of peceived racism is just wrong.
why didnt these titles sell big in the west, they sold decent in japan
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
Dynasty Warriors 8
etc
is it cause we're racist here that we're not buying them, which is what rangers and others are arguing, Im saying no its cultural differences?

Well in games it's really not arguable, and EVERYBODY accepts it and it's common knowledge, that Japanese dont buy Western games very much. Who brought up racism but you? For one thing it's always said that FPS makes Japanese motion sick. Well that knocks out a key western genre right there for example. Anyways this is sales topic.

Well in games it's really not arguable, and EVERYBODY accepts it and it's common knowledge, that Japanese dont buy Western games very much.
But how much is that down to western developers/publishers simply not bothering to translate their games, accounting for significant cultural differences?

What would be interesting to see, is a list of western games that have been translated and marketed well in Japan, with their sales numbers compared with native games.

But how much is that down to western developers/publishers simply not bothering to translate their games, accounting for significant cultural differences?

What would be interesting to see, is a list of western games that have been translated and marketed well in Japan, with their sales numbers compared with native games.

I dont know what this actually means. Is streetfighter 2 "translated for America"? Very poorly I suppose :p

I dont know what this actually means. Is streetfighter 2 "translated for America"? Very poorly I suppose :p
Well the incentive for Japanese developers to translate for western markets is a buttload of sales, whereas the incentive for western developers to translate text to Kanji and voice work to Japanese for those sales is less.

But by cultural changes I mean the way things are communicated. In the west, opinions are common but in Japan, communication is less focussed on opinion than it is emotion. Similarly concepts of things like friendship is so unbelievably different it's difficult even to convey. The concept of honour and your word and reputation are still supremely important in Japan, in the west, less so. You'd be surprised how many story-driven elements would need significant translation to a Japanese market.

I remember when I used to draft and send diplomatic communiques regarding international treaties. If I sent something incorrect to North America or Europe, my counterparts would just come back and say "this is wrong". The Japanese however, would just ignore it, which our embassy told me was how it worked. It would be impolite to point out I was wrong. It's a completely different way of thinking about things.

Well the incentive for Japanese developers to translate for western markets is a buttload of sales, whereas the incentive for western developers to translate text to Kanji and voice work to Japanese for those sales is less.

But by cultural changes I mean the way things are communicated. In the west, opinions are common but in Japan, communication is less focussed on opinion than it is emotion. Similarly concepts of things like friendship is so unbelievably different it's difficult even to convey. The concept of honour and your word and reputation are still supremely important in Japan, in the west, less so. You'd be surprised how many story-driven elements would need significant translation to a Japanese market.

I remember when I used to draft and send diplomatic communiques regarding international treaties. If I sent something incorrect to North America or Europe, my counterparts would just come back and say "this is wrong". The Japanese however, would just ignore it, which our embassy told me was how it worked. It would be impolite to point out I was wrong. It's a completely different way of thinking about things.

Sounds like why Western games wont sell there :p

It's be interesting to get a local perspective. Do we have no Japan-based users?

It's be interesting to get a local perspective. Do we have no Japan-based users?

A game I had worked on some years ago shipped only in North America and Japan, so I had contact with many people from Japan. Now I don't mean people with relatives there or people that spent some time there, I mean lots of people that were born, raised, still live there and needed translators when we spoke with them. They never bothered to hide the anti western sentiment at the time when it came in particular to the 360 console and western games in general. One reviewer memorably said "I'd rather review a funeral than a 360 game", and others were shall we say somewhat less polite about it. The only reason our game had any interest there at all was because there was a Japanese sports player on one particular team that was hugely popular at the time, so they bought the game in droves.

That's why I chuckle when people suggest there is no anti western sentiment there when it comes to games or game consoles, because what I heard countless times straight from the horses mouth was that it was very prevalent and downright obvious. They never even tried to hide it or sugar coat it, it was openly known and admitted.

Not sure why it is surprising that Japan would have an anti-western sentiment considering their history. If Japan had occupied the USA until the 1950s no doubt there would be an overriding cultural bias there too.

Back