Bioshock dev. Irrational closes doors

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

http://www.irrationalgames.com/

Kevin Levine said:
I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

(...)

I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

So I guess this means no more Bioshock for the Vita.

Gutted - absolutely loved Bioshock 1 & Infinite. Great storylines - beautiful game worlds - good humour. (Bioshock 2 being another studio it's excused).

Hopefully Levine took a really good group with him for some more of the same. Maybe contracting out the modelling and artwork to let them stay a smaller team. I'm sure the rest of the staff will find a home quickly!

They should release that Bioshock Infinite flash mini-game for general consumption. Really enjoyed those puzzles.

Surprised after the success of Infinite, but it seems like the financial risk of titles with big single-player or story campaigns is getting to be too much. Lots of famous devs wanting to go back to small teams, smaller releases.

I think Infinite must have under performed, sure it sold millions but lots of those were sold at low price and the rumored budget was over 100 millions irc. KL said the cut out contents enough to make multiple full games? I don't think 2K is happy with that either.........

Man, what a bummer! Bioshock was one of my favorite games of the generation. Sad to see the franchise leave Irrational. Maybe 2K will still keep it alive somehow.

Tommy McClain

Since when does "2K is developing Bioshock from now on" equate to "Bioshock was a flop, no more Bioshock"? It's just going to a different dev, it's not going away. And 2K was pretty involved with the previous games anyway. Yes, there will probably be a change, but it's not the end of the franchise, or the end of the world. Calm down, people.

And no impact on the DLC. The layoffs aren't happening until after the DLC is shipped.

Since when does "2K is developing Bioshock from now on" equate to "Bioshock was a flop, no more Bioshock"? It's just going to a different dev, it's not going away. And 2K was pretty involved with the previous games anyway. Yes, there will probably be a change, but it's not the end of the franchise, or the end of the world. Calm down, people.

And no impact on the DLC. The layoffs aren't happening until after the DLC is shipped.

Why the downplay? Any fan of Bioshock would be a bit bummed that Levine is not working on it anymore. Bioshock 1 & 3 were clearly the better of the 3 games.

And it's pretty sad for the company itself, all those people getting split up. That's a 17 year old company.

Personally I like the idea of Levine doing something new, should be fun to see what he comes up with!

Seems weird that they didn't splinter off and form a new company (internal to take-2), and leave Irrational intact. But I guess you can't just take every team-lead in the building, and expect things to actually work :p

Maybe Kevin Levine is just burnt out on making AAA titles. Bioshock 1 released on Pc/X360 in 2007. The Ps3 port and the sequal were handled by other studios. Bioshock Infinite released last year 2013. Thats 6 years working on one game. In fact they delayed it a couple of times and brought in Rod Ferguson to help finish it. There is no telling how many man hours went into Infinite not to mention $$$$.
It is a great game that I enjoyed alot along with the original. I hate that this happened but I can understand the frustration that must be involved with putting that much of your life into something.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to step back a little bit from the Bioshock Universe. Infinite was a pretty deep game and the creation process must have been pretty hard on the metaphysics!

According to several reports, Irrational did go through some development hell with Infinite. The game took 3 years between formal announcement and launch, so that's a clear sign of things not going well.

They sold the IP to 2K, so there will be more Bioshock games for sure. Changing dev team isn't always a sign of a lower quality.

Yeah and Bioshock 2 was also a great game. I think it deserves it's spot next to the first game just fine. I still haven't touched Infinite, but will correct that soon, still it would have been nice to see more AAA content from Irrational.

Man, what a bummer! Bioshock was one of my favorite games of the generation. Sad to see the franchise leave Irrational. Maybe 2K will still keep it alive somehow.

Tommy McClain
I agree Tommy. I haven't played Infinity yet but I wouldn't doubt a single second that if it comes out with all the DLC and updated technology for the Xbox One I will buy it day one.

From the little I know about it -I had and loved Bioshock 1- Bioshock Infinite has very lovable characters and another great story. Something I can't pass.

Still to me the best story in a videogame ever as Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption story, but I have high hopes for Infinite.

Gutted - absolutely loved Bioshock 1 & Infinite. Great storylines - beautiful game worlds - good humour. (Bioshock 2 being another studio it's excused).

Hopefully Levine took a really good group with him for some more of the same. Maybe contracting out the modelling and artwork to let them stay a smaller team. I'm sure the rest of the staff will find a home quickly!

Same. :cry:

BioShock Infinite in particular was one of my favorite games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since 2K now own the IP there might still be a chance of a Vita version. Depends on how badly we want it and how profitable 2K may think it could be. Also we don't know if any work commenced on it or whether is was still just a gleam in the eye of Levine!

Something is horribly broken with the games industry if the developer making Bioshock 1 and and Infinite ... goes bust.

Also, sorta OT, but I enjoyed Bioshock 2 as much as Bioshock 1.

If you read the article, they didn't go bust. Levine has effectively reset his working life back to something different. A few years back he would have sold Irrational, bailed out a year later and then started a new, small company. It's the same thing in a slightly different shape.

Ken Levine said:
Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

Instead they've become a small developer again, will try to place the staff into other projects within Take 2, and wound up Irrational in the form that it is in today.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Irrational may be a well loved and long lived name, but in the end it's the people and what they make that is important, and that doesn't look like it's going to stop, just change.

I'm "somehow" surprised so many people here actually enjoyed playing Bioshock 1. I thought the art direction and story definitely felt fascinating and in the beginning I *really* wanted to explore that world. But after a while I realized the actual gameplay was just boring in a frustrating way. I also completely loathed these mini games. IMHO the actual game implementation didn't live up to the *grand* artistic vision and story. Didn't even bother to complete it and because of this formative experience neither tried 2 nor Infinity.

Back