Developers polled on which platforms they are developing for

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
http://www.gdconf.com/news/gdc_state_of_the_industry_ps4_.html

2600 developers at GDC polled. These are results for NA developers, or I guess developers who attended the NA event.

52% PC or Mac - 1352 games
51% releasing on mobile - 1326 games
20% PS4 - 520 games
17% XB1 - 442 games
14% PS3 (up 0.8% from last year) - 364 games
12% XB360 (down -2%) - 312 games
4% Wii U (down -2.4%) - 104 games

Also 11% Android microconsole (surely that'll be a subset of mobile developments), 2% 3DS and 7% PSV.

I think we sometimes forget how many games are actually made. Look at our game forum and it's dominated by a few AAA titles getting all the attention.

I suppose the most relevant point here is 80 more games on PS4 than XB1, or 17% more games. I guess that speaks something of Sony's appeal for indies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious at to the percentage of the PS4 versus say the PS3 or the 360 several years ago. Has it changed all that much in regards to developers on the platform?

PC and Mobile make sense, as those are usually where a majority of indies start out to begin with, and of course a majority of the AAA guys release on PC as well anyway. So i guess we can say 30% percent are indies?

I'm curious at to the percentage of the PS4 versus say the PS3 or the 360 several years ago. Has it changed all that much in regards to developers on the platform?
I expect it's plummeted because the number of devs has skyrocketed with mobile being seeing appealing.

That would explain the outsized 7.47% for Vita.
Where's that number from? Oh, the horse's mouth. I probably should have gone there to begin with! I'll update OP.

The POV is probably cost to port. If Unity or whatever ports striaght to Vita with no effort, it's a low cost market to release your title onto. I don't know what deals SCEA are offering, if any. I'd also like an explanation as to the 3DS figure. Are NA devs just not interested in 3DS type games, or are Nintendo difficult to deal with, or do they fear competing with Nintendo?

2600 developers at GDC polled. These are results for NA developers, or I guess developers who attended the NA event.

20% PS4 - 520 games
17% XB1 - 442 games

Also 11% Android microconsole (surely that'll be a subset of mobile developments), 2% 3DS and 7% PSV.

I think we sometimes forget how many games are actually made. Look at our game forum and it's dominated by a few AAA titles getting all the attention.

I suppose the most relevant point here is 80 more games on PS4 than XB1, or 17% more games. I guess that speaks something of Sony's appeal for indies.

Interesting that VITA development is so close to Android Microconsole and higher than 3DS....

edit:

here's another link with nice graph to visualize the relative interest - smart phones and PCs way ahead of everybody:

http://games.yahoo.com/news/developers-more-interested-releasing-games-ps4-xbox-one-183605734.html

20% PS4 - 520 games
17% XB1 - 442 games

Yes because consoles support that triple A niche...

Personally I dont think indies are a great fit for consoles for that reason, although they certainly have their niche.

Most of those MAC/PC games are probably kind of small team junk...

I am starting to wonder just a bit about the future of Triple A with irrational shutting down. I hate that everything seems to be going multiplayer/mobile/MMO/etc.

CliffyB's new interview (where he says things like "your game is as good as how many youtube videos it produces", "I'll never make another disc game" and "I'll end up on PC, it's where the community is" has got me thinking.

I've always thought there will always be a space for triple A, and I hope I'm right...

That's an incredible way to count percentages! It all adds up to an awesomesauce 190%... ;)

That's an incredible way to count percentages! It all adds up to an awesomesauce 190%... ;)
That got my attention, too. I can count up to more than that and those are like pure maths, but it's like saying you are 32 years of age when you are actually 16 but you have a twin brother/sister.

As for the numbers, it's good news that the PC is over any other platform out there. I think that's the most open, pure platform nowadays.

Not bad numbers for the new consoles, especially the PS4, since Sony are treating indies really well.

Xbox One is doing okay too. Whatever.... what consoles need now is great games and exclusives. 'Cos the competition is tough.

They lost the traditional advantage of being more powerful than anything else at the launch date, the previous generation was the last example of this. When Oblivion came out it was jaw dropping and PGR3 felt real before it was released.

I wasn't used to 1080p and playing Forza 5 at 60 fps was kind of nice, Ryse is the most clean, jaw dropping game I've ever played, but the wow factor isn't the same as in other generations.

This is the most disappointing thing about the current gen consoles --I think Kinect is the way to go, but I agree with those that would like to also have a more capable machine.

That got my attention, too. I can count up to more than that and those are like pure maths, but it's like saying you are 32 years of age when you are actually 16 but you have a twin brother/sister.
Not at all. It was a survey that asked, "on which platform(s) will your *next* game be released." The response is a non-exclusive proportion of the total developers for each platform. Platform X will receive games from this number/proportion of developers.

since the PS4 has sold 5.3 million without releasing in Japan.... this graph actually makes all the sense in the world.

The Vita number vs 3DS kinda shows how US-centric GDC is. I find that number hard to believe generally. Keep in mind EA has washed its hands of all Nintendo platforms.

The Vita number vs 3DS kinda shows how US-centric GDC is. I find that number hard to believe generally. Keep in mind EA has washed its hands of all Nintendo platforms.

The poll results are just attributed to a poll of more than "2,600 developers who attended last year's GDC" but they don't say which event: Cologne (Germany), Shanghai (China), San Francisco (USA) or Los Angels (USA), but I'm assuming one of the latter conferences. Of course, they could attendees of any/all conferences.

I think your math is completely wrong, Shifty. It's 2600 developers as in *people* not *companies*. You'd probably have a few to a dozen of people working on the same game present at GDC, more the larger (more AAA-ish) the project. Which would lead to a skew towards most recent desktop platforms.

Back