Is Vishera 8 Threads (AMD FX) a half disabled processor?

Frontino

Newcomer
I've just found out that Abu Dhabi (Opteron 63xx) 16 threads processors have same lithography and die size of Vishera (AMD FX x3xx) 8 threads ones, leading me to think that even the most expensive FX model could still be a half-cut of the full Piledriver processor architecture.
Am I wrong?

I've just found out that Abu Dhabi (Opteron 63xx) 16 threads processors have same lithography and die size of Vishera (AMD FX x3xx) 8 threads ones, leading me to think that even the most expensive FX model could still be a half-cut of the full Piledriver processor architecture.
Am I wrong?

Abu Dhabi is actually made up of two Vishera dies assembled onto the same package, in what is called an MCM (multi-chip module). So no, Vishera is a full die.

Indeed, kind of like the Intel Q6600 or Pentium D but here each die has its own pair of 64bit memory controllers, and they speak between themselves with Hypertransport.

They did the same thing (only on socket G34) with previous generations : 8 core Opteron was two Phenom II X4 dies (or maybe partially disabled X6 dies), 12 core Opteron was two Phenom II X6 dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back