Fixed powerpacks versus replaceable AA's in controllers *spawn

Because the more devices you have, the more batteries you have/need.
Did you read the following part of my post? I went through the same counting exercise you did. One charger and one set of each size spares isn't burdensome to me, but if that is for you I won't argue that.

Ah, hold on. A controller isn't any other cordless device though.
Perhaps you shouldn't have "snipped" the part of my post where I specifically discussed possible use cases for controllers. Yeah, maybe that would be a good idea. :rolleyes:

Watt watt!? Let's Amp this up!!

If using AA batteries in my phone wouldn't make the phone's form factor impractical, I would want my phone to use AAs.

AA's don't negatively impact on the form factor of controllers, remotes, torches, wireless mice, etc.

Redundancy, flexibility, cost, instant turnaround, indefinite device lifetime, and performance (AA controllers outlast the dual shocks by up to several times) are all important to me.

Built in batteries allow for a sleeker device but place far more restrictions on usage, servicing, and lifetime.

A phone spends most of its time in my pocket, so it needs a shitty little shitty battery. A controller spends most of its time either sat around in the living room or in my hands. And I have Man Hands. Big, strong, manly Man Hands. Perhaps I would prefer shitty little shitty batteries if I had weak hands ...

... or if I was a girl.

So they changed the rules to avoid a total melt down, and let those that already had invested have 20 years with the old rules.

I'll squeeze in some more OT. It's works slightly different here, it's not a 1:1 relationship in that the power you generate and don't use is not what you get back. The power company pays us for power our solar panels have generated but not used, but not at the full rate. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but it may be something like they pay us 4 cents per kWh, then they sell that same kWh elsewhere on the grid at 10 cents per kWh. So we're happy because we get paid for unused electric, and the power company is happy because one of their power generating stations (every home here with solar panels is registered as a power station) generated them some profit with extra electric they bought cheap from us and sold to others.

Ridiculous depends on what you're getting out of it.

If you have these two pairs:

Battery A - brand new - fully charged 1000mAh
Battery B - brand new - fully charged 1000mAh
Battery X - few years old - fully charged *500mAh
Battery Y - few years old - fully charged *500mAh

If you mix A with X and B - Y, you're effectively limiting the stronger battery to the weaker one. In a best-case you may get the average between the two - worse case and depending on the device, you might limit the potential of the pair to the weakest element.
The effect is exaggerated if you have a device that requires 4 batteries and you effectively have a broken one in there. You're limiting the potential of the device and the better batteries severly.

How exactly is it any better to be stuck with a device like an older playstation controller that has a "few years old" battery as you say and no longer holds as much charge? Here using your own words to make the example in case it's not clear:

Playstation controller A - brand new - fully charged 1000mAh
Playstation controller X - few years old - fully charged *500mAh

In that case your X controller won't last as long and too bad there is nothing you can do about it except buy an all new controller. You view that as better than having the option to replace older AA batteries that don't hold as much charge anymore?

So you're telling me, it's too far to get up and connect your DS4 controller to the PS4 after usage, but you have a battery charger waiting for your 360 controller where you have your couch? :rolleyes: :LOL:

You don't have to do it everyday, the batteries last a long time. You have to do it every day with playstation controllers to be sure you don't run out. If you forget, like I used to, then gaming is done unless you have a 15 foot usb cable handy (which I didn't) and unless you like playing with a cord (which I don't).

Also, what happens if you run out of spares? Can you charge a battery for just 15 minutes and use it, similar to how you can connect can connect a DS4 (or any mobile phone or tablet) and get after a mere 15 minutes of charging around 3 times the amount of usage?

You don't run out because AA's charge fast nowadays so they are always ready to go.

If using AA batteries in my phone wouldn't make the phone's form factor impractical, I would want my phone to use AAs.

AA's don't negatively impact on the form factor of controllers, remotes, torches, wireless mice, etc.

Redundancy, flexibility, cost, instant turnaround, indefinite device lifetime, and performance (AA controllers outlast the dual shocks by up to several times) are all important to me.

Built in batteries allow for a sleeker device but place far more restrictions on usage, servicing, and lifetime.

A phone spends most of its time in my pocket, so it needs a shitty little shitty battery. A controller spends most of its time either sat around in the living room or in my hands.

This.

If you have these two pairs:

Battery A - brand new - fully charged 1000mAh
Battery B - brand new - fully charged 1000mAh
Battery X - few years old - fully charged *500mAh
Battery Y - few years old - fully charged *500mAh

*EDIT: fixed typo

If you mix A with X and B - Y, you're effectively limiting the stronger battery to the weaker one. In a best-case you may get the average between the two - worse case and depending on the device, you might limit the potential of the pair to the weakest element.
The effect is exaggerated if you have a device that requires 4 batteries and you effectively have a broken one in there. You're limiting the potential of the device and the better batteries severly.

I actually thought this was considered common-sense and something that I used to take care of. Ridiculous? Depends. I remember in the 90ties when battery life of devices were rather bad, so this was an easy way to maximize the potential.

And what if you were limited by the lowest charging capacity? How much would battery life have to be before it really started to become a problem, to the point where it was worth the effort of keeping track of where your batteries were being used?

If I do understand your post correctly though, you have absolutely no problem with swapping and mixing batteries. So if I were to open one of your IR remotes, I'm likely to find 4 different coloured batteries, perhaps of different make and capacity? Nice. You won't find that in my household, I can assure you, well unless maybe my wife changed them... :p

Why does it matter?

So you're telling me, it's too far to get up and connect your DS4 controller to the PS4 after usage, but you have a battery charger waiting for your 360 controller where you have your couch? :rolleyes: :LOL:

No. I'm saying I don't have to get batteries out of the battery charger very often. As I would expect you to know if you were actually reading and considering what I have already posted.

BTW; Staying with the example; if you only have play sessions of 3-4 hours, you can get away with not having to move your ass to connect the controller every time, but every 3rd.

Not even close....

I still don't get your point though why plugging in a DS4 controller after usage (or every 2nd/3rd depending on usage) should be more inconvinient than swapping out two AA batteries and charging every now and then...

Because I don't want to have to "keep track" of how charged or uncharged my controllers are. This is why I found your earlier statement about having to keep track of rechargeable batteries so mind-bending. I don't have to keep track of anything. If I did, I wouldn't prefer it. With my removable-battery controllers I accomplish this by only changing batteries when the controller is low/dead using the waiting charged batteries I have on hand. With my internal battery controllers I do this by leaving them connected to a charging cavble when I am not using them.

Also, what happens if you run out of spares? Can you charge a battery for just 15 minutes and use it, similar to how you can connect can connect a DS4 (or any mobile phone or tablet) and get after a mere 15 minutes of charging around 3 times the amount of usage?

Of course. Another thing that I already covered in an earlier response *to you*. I don't mind debating and I don't even mind someone continuing to disagree with me, but if you're not going to read and retain what I am saying then I am wasting my time, which I do mind.

Have I? I don't think so. My representation might not apply to your situation - then again, your situation doesn't represent mine either. You are neither right nor am I wrong. There are different view points, different usage models, different experiences leading to different habbits. I am not even disagreeing with you - well, not really.

I've been quite transparent in what is in my household. I personally think internal non-user-replacable batteries have lead to an overal improvement in convinience. No more external chargers - just many many many devices that offer a pretty generic interface to charge, either by connecting to a USB charger or a power cable, leading to overall less devices. This, for me, is progress.

You are describing usage scenarios for one model that you are choosing to make more complicated than they need to be and then saying that the other model is easier. Would you say it would be fair for me to claim that it's easier for me to type messages on my phone than on my PC keyboard and then support this claim by pointing out how, since I only choose to type with one finger, I can type much faster and easier using the Swype keyboard on my phone?

You don't have to do it everyday, the batteries last a long time. You have to do it every day with playstation controllers to be sure you don't run out. If you forget, like I used to, then gaming is done unless you have a 15 foot usb cable handly (which I didn't) and unless you like playing with a cord (which I don't).

The DS4 lasts 10+ hours. Usage of 5 hours a day is already quite excessive, something I would consider to be way out the norm and more the exception than average usage. If you portrait habbits of playing over 5 hours per session, you can still get away with charging every single time. Fair play that the Xbox controller lasts longer (the DS3 does too btw), but this talk isn't about DS4 vs Xbox controller, but rather fixed powerpacks vs. replacable AA - in essence, the discussion is around a hypothetical DS4 with rechargables vs. a DS4 in its current state.

Joker said:
How exactly is it any better to be stuck with a device like an older playstation controller that has a "few years old" battery as you say and no longer holds as much charge? Here using your own words to make the example in case it's not clear:

In that case your X controller won't last as long and too bad there is nothing you can do about it except buy an all new controller. You view that as better than having the option to replace older AA batteries that don't hold as much charge anymore?

To be honest, we don't really know to what degree the battery decreases its life cycle. If you go back a few pages, I noted already that a DS3 with 7 years of usage hardly suffered much - then again, it's difficult to quantify that, because the DS3 had an exceptional life span, so even if it dropped by a few hours, it would still be exceptional and difficult to quantify without hard messured numbers. How the DS4 will stack up, we'll see I guess. No doubt, the effect will be more noticable on a DS4 due to it using more power.

Back to the example: While you are of course correct, don't forget that a singular battery will see less cycles than a AA rechargable battery that you are swapping and mixing between devices (which was the context of the example). The PSX controller will only decrease the cycles when you use it. And that will happen, regardless if there's AA replacable in it or a non-user-replacable one. True, the fact that you can't replace it is a drawback - one that doesn't entirely make sense given you could on a DS3 - but we are still yet to find out how much of a draw back this will be in reality.

It's not different than your average smartphone, comparing a Samsung Galaxy with a iPhone, one that has a user-accessible battery and one that does not. It's a nice feature that you can with the Galaxy, but over 2 years of extended usage (and charging the phone every single day, and usually even at work! - so easily 800+ cycles) I am yet to see a messurable decrease in the batteries performance. Given controllers aren't likely to see as many charge/discharge cycles as an everyday device like a smartphone that is used 24/7, I'm not sure a controller would portrait signs of a weak battery even after multiple years. As I said, in the case of the DS3, I didn't see any, though that too might vary depending on usage.

Coming back to my Galaxy - it's still nice that I can swap the battery - but in reality, I never needed to. Not with my current one, the one before it, or the one before that one either. In reality, the necessity to change a faulty battery is quite rare to say the least. It can happen, but it's probably quite unlikely. Even if we assume a drop of 10% after a 700+ cycles, you would still get 9+ hours of usage from a DS4 which I would bet, would be hardly noticable in the grand scheme of things. On a Galaxy that lasts between 5-20 hours (depending on usage), it wouldn't be either.

Joker said:
You don't run out because AA's because they charge fast nowadays so they are always ready to go.

My question was actually targeting the concerns of memory effect, not the duration of the charge itself (which is probably even more miniscule on a DS4 given the battery is relatively small). In other words - if you encounter an empty controller (and have no spares) - would you be able to charge the battery for 15 minutes, stop the charge and play for 60+ minutes without concerns of damaging the battery? I would guess this depends on the type of battery?

On a DS3/4, this is easily possible - on the DS4, plugging the controller in for 15 minutes would probably give you play time of roughly an hour (if not more - a full charge requires I think ~1 hour, so if that nets you 10+ hours of gamig, technically 1/4 of that time should theoretically yield 2.5 hours).

In my personal experience, I can get around 3 to 4 2+ hour sessions over the duration of a week of play until my controller runs out. My sessions are around 2-3 hours long, sometimes longer. As I said, if the controller runs out - pluggin it in for a short duration (~15minutes) would yield a (for me) satisfactory amount of game time. I would have to test to see how long the actual amount is on a 15 minute charge though. Now that I think about it, 2+ hours should be reasonable.

Anyway, I never said user replacable AA batteries have no benefits. They do. Clearly. But in my opinion, the convinience factor of internal non-replacable-ones outweigh them. This is, I admit, subjective, as per the reasons I named above. I am accustomed to pluging in devices after usage - as I'm sure most people are, as pretty much anyone with a recent smartphone pretty much needs to do that on a regular basis. A gaming controller like the DS4 in that sense isn't much different. The minor inconvinience in having to connect it to a console on - in the worst case - daily basis or in my case once a week but not requiring the use of any external chargers or batteries are a plus and outweigh the negatives for me.

If you're used to using universal chargers for batteries, I can see that having to do that for a controller wouldn't be a big inconvinience either.

Worst case scenario for AA batteries is you just cannibalize something you aren't using. There is no scenario where you can't play. Pull the batteries from your mouse (or one of a dozen other AA powered devices) while you game on your console.

I'll squeeze in some more OT. .
One KWh is around 43 cents here...

In that case your X controller won't last as long and too bad there is nothing you can do about it except buy an all new controller. You view that as better than having the option to replace older AA batteries that don't hold as much charge anymore?.

The DS3 batteries can be fairly easy replaced, and since they last some 25 hours even at half power they would last enough to not be that bothering. On the DS3 the case is weak.
The case on the DS4 is different, when that battery gets "old" we might see plenty of threads pop up and bitch about the battery. By then there will be plenty of options for those that have the problem.

And you simply don't run out of juice with the DS controllers, they last longer than a phone which everyone has been used to re-charge for years, it's not a problem. And the best part is that unlike the phone you don't really need your controllers to be working and near you 24/7. In principle i wouldn't have an issue with the battery pack being AA rechargeables, if they didn't compromise the weight, price and design of the controllers. And they would have recharge via USB Micro/Mini.

And all this is without taking into account the millions that have more than one controller.

Back to the example: While you are of course correct, don't forget that a singular battery will see less cycles than a AA rechargable battery that you are swapping and mixing between devices (which was the context of the example).
I'd love to know how you arrived at this conclusion.

My question was actually targeting the concerns of memory effect...
Interesting point. What about potential harm from leaving a device in perpetual charge with sparse discharge cycles? My Vaio laptop had a setting for "always plugged in" use cases to stop.charging at 70% specifically to limit possible negative effects on battery capacity and life. I had always heard this was a bad practice, but don't know that for a fact. Do Sony game controllers have a similar smart setting for lighter usage settings? Does it actively monitor controller charge and stop the charge current when fully charged... and then not start another cycle until charge drops below a certain threshold? Man, that's a lot of stuff you don't have to worry about with standard replaceables.

And what if you were limited by the lowest charging capacity? How much would battery life have to be before it really started to become a problem, to the point where it was worth the effort of keeping track of where your batteries were being used?

If you've been mixing and interchanging batteries for years (as you're implying), my guess would be that there are quite a few batteries "in the mix" that are close to the end of their cycle mixed with new(er) ones.

If you now use a lot of 4 batteries with one in that lot that's near the end of it's life cycle for e.g my Remote and it fails after one hour of usage after you swapped them - how do you deduct which one was the faulty one? Or do you discard them all (with possibly 3 good ones)?

If you want to avoid this, organizing and not mixing batteries becomes essential. Depends how you use them. If you want to rely on your batteries like I do, it's rather essential I would think.

mrcorbo said:
No. I'm saying I don't have to get batteries out of the battery charger very often. As I would expect you to know if you were actually reading and considering what I have already posted.

Sorry, I was expecting you were aware that the topic was about powerpacks versus replacable AA batteries, and not about comparing a controller that lasts 20 hours with user replacable vs a controller with non-user-replacable that lasts 10. The fact that the Xbox controller lasts longer isn't solely due to replacable batteries holding a higher charge, but perhaps due to the DS4 using a higher draw in combination with a very small battery. In that sense, my posts have been referencing the Xbox controller and the DS4 as a hypothetical DS4 with user replacable batteries and one that hasn't. It's the reason why I have pretty much ignored the differing life-span of the respective controllers, because they are dependant on further factors.

All my points so far were focusing on the concept of needing an external charger for your device(s) or supplying a generic interface to charge them. I thought this was clear.

mrcorbo said:
Of course. Another thing that I already covered in an earlier response *to you*. I don't mind debating and I don't even mind someone continuing to disagree with me, but if you're not going to read and retain what I am saying then I am wasting my time, which I do mind.

I just checked and I can't find it (not in the context I was asking the question). Anyway, I replied on this bit to Joker. You can read my reply there (and the motivation behind my question).

mrcorbo said:
You are describing usage scenarios for one model that you are choosing to make more complicated than they need to be and then saying that the other model is easier.

Are you refering to the battery organizing? To be fair, I really thought this was common-sense. I actually didn't think there are people outthere that mix up pairs of batteries besides, perhaps, a large majority of women (no disrespect intended). :p

In that sense, I was taking my past usage of batteries and applying them to a general usage. Given the scenario further up (first quote), I would still avoid mixing them, therefore, device(s) with user-replacable batteries would yield an even higher level of inconvinience in my case. I'm not going to pretend I would use batteries differently simply to prove a point that they can be convinient.

My points are rather ment to give an alternative view on how some people outthere use rechargable batteries, so the convinience-factor might differ from person to person. I never said that my scenario applies to everyone. Seems to me I have to justify a perfectly explainable way of using rechargable batteries because you use them differently? Why?

If I do understand your post correctly though, you have absolutely no problem with swapping and mixing batteries. So if I were to open one of your IR remotes, I'm likely to find 4 different coloured batteries, perhaps of different make and capacity?
No, because batteries are sold and used in pairs typically. When a pair dies in a remote, for example, you put in the spare pair. But in powering a 4 battery LED light, I'll take AAs from two different devices. And then I'll remove those batteries and put them in a recorder. And then I'll put those back in the light, and take perhaps two different ones out for a torch of something. So the same brand and rating for batteries (I bought a number some years ago when NiMHs were becoming plentiful and cheap, and they're all I've needed), but no record of how charged any individual one is.

I would never be able to mix battery types in the same device because that'd offend my aesthetic sensitivities, regardless of any practical consequences. ;)

The case on the DS4 is different, when that battery gets "old" we might see plenty of threads pop up and bitch about the battery. By then there will be plenty of options for those that have the problem.
I'm thinking a 'stick-on' battery pack on the underside of the control that plugs straight into the USB port.

In a sense we have two very good examples of using user replaceable batteries versus built in un-replaceable batteries that we (mostly) forget .

The DS3 was un-replacable, USB charged
The Wiimote was replacable-AA only.

Yes I own both and I have used rechargables/one time batteries on the wiimote.

In my experience I had way, way, way more issues with keeping my two wii controllers charged than keeping my 2 DS3s and 2 sixaxis controllers charged (with the usage of 1 to 2 usb connectors)

I understand how some here are feeling AA batteries are the best idea ever, but my personal experience tells me that I'd much rather do away with them.

I'm thinking a 'stick-on' battery pack on the underside of the control that plugs straight into the USB port.

Wouldn't just buying a portable battery solve the problem? I'm discharging my DS4 right now to see if it works with my Vita portable battery that also works with all my other USB devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perhaps I worded it a bit unclearly. We were comparing mixing batteries. If you mix pairs of batteries, you are effectively limiting the potential of the pair to the weaker link. If you have a box of 10 AA batteries and swap them between a couple of controllers and remotes, the likelyhood is that any one battery will be in use in one device or another, where as the controller with the single built-in battery will only be use when it's being used and by definition can't be limited by anything other than itself.

The general point however was, using a smartphone as a benchmark, that it would take a lot of cycles to reach the point where you would end up with a controller with half its original capacity. This is of course assuming that the battery in my mobile phone and the one in the DS3 after 7 years of usage is similar to the one in the DS4...

Interesting point. What about potential harm from leaving a device in perpetual charge with sparse discharge cycles? My Vaio laptop had a setting for "always plugged in" use cases to stop.charging at 70% specifically to limit possible negative effects on battery capacity and life. I had always heard this was a bad practice, but don't know that for a fact. Do Sony game controllers have a similar smart setting for lighter usage settings? Does it actively monitor controller charge and stop the charge current when fully charged... and then not start another cycle until charge drops below a certain threshold? Man, that's a lot of stuff you don't have to worry about with standard replaceables.

I have no idea. I just know that when the controller is charged, the light disappears.

A smartphone is a very similar device though and as I said in my post, my Samsung Galaxy after 2 years of usage and estimated 800+ cycles of daily charging hasn't impacted the life noticably (if it has). I would expect a controller to require quite a long time to achieve 800+ cycles given most people don't use them as much as their phone. In essence, my take is that it's negligible.

Your VAIO btw - has this feature because the laptop battery is rather expensive and in a new state only lasts a few hours (my VAIO gets 3-4 hours). Everytime you connect and disconnect your laptop from charging, it counts as a "cycle", regardless if you pluged it in for 10 minutes or 2 hours. Because some people tend to plug in their laptop while at home to keep it in a full state, the feature tries to avoid unnecessary charging cycles to extend the life of the battery.

I don't think it's necessary for controllers because people rarely play with them connected or plug them in just for the convinience...

I like how some of the wireless headphones now use LiPo packs that snap in, so it is really easy to replace. I see no reason why the Xbox One controller for example could not use one of these, just update the firmware of the controller to handle the voltage cutoff. Then you get the benefit of an easy to replace pack with higher capacity. When it no longer charges you don't have to do surgery.

Well if anything this thread has shown me to never underestimate the variety of ways people use their consoles. If you had told me with a straight face that you use a corded controller to play console games I would have never in a million years believed it. In fact I would have laughed assuming it was a joke. Yet here we are in 2014 and people apparently are indeed doing it. It blows my mind, but there it is. I guess you just never know.

I feel exactly same about AA batteries and packs. It's a miracle they are still alive and kicking in 2014.

In fact, I was hoping DS4 would have wireless charging support in addition to standard micro usb receptacle.

I feel exactly same about AA batteries and packs. It's a miracle they are still alive and kicking in 2014.

AA Batteries aren't going anywhere. They'll be here when you're dust. I can't imagine why anyone would be surprised that a simple cheap portable energy source would endure.

That's the thing. You don't have to worry about it. Let the software+hardware handle it for you. I don't know how sophisticated DS4 in handling charge, but I have a feeling that for a relatively low power draw device, li-ion battery should last very long before you notice the capacity lost.

Anyway, I want to remind everyone that li-ion battery don't suffer from memory effect. Yes, they degrade with charge cycle, but you won't have a li-ion battery suddenly loosing capacity (unless it's broken) . What you have usually is a calibration issue and that's a problem with the device and not the battery.

Basically the more you keep li-ion at high voltage (full capacity), or using it in high power draw devices, fast charge it, charging from 0-100% often, expose it to hot condition, it will reduce the battery life. Basically straining the battery (including keeping it fully charged) will reduce the battery life. There is no strict charge cycles like on those Ni-MH battery. If you abuse it, you'll probably get around 500cylces. On DS4, the factor that affects the battery life is greatly reduced because I believe it doesn't run hot and the draw is low. In terms of cycles, it probably can have a lot more than 1000cycles without noticeable drop in capacity.

What li-ion do great is its size and weight and the ability to keep its charge.

Anyway, you guys can read the link I posted in this thread (post #9 if I'm not mistaken) to know about what affecting li-ion battery life. Yes, those that championing AA should also read it too, because I'm sure your phone doesn't run on it (unless you're using an old a
Alcatel phone that actually run on AA/AAA? battery).

While I'm at it, since I just wrote it and I suddenly remember it, I hate AAA battery on remotes. I don't get why they want to make the remote thin enough so it doesn't accept AA battery. It is full of buttons, so length wise, it's long. Add a bit more thickness to accommodate AA shouldn't hurt. I'm whining about this since the price of AAA battery is similar to AA while probably only has half of the capacity.
Now I'm thinking that the only devices that absolutely need AAA in my house is those damn remotes and the majority of devices that uses AA/AAA battery are remotes! There are few wall clocks that use AA, but there are 10 remotes for various devices and all are using 2AAA batteries :(

This thread is the bees knees.

Please continue on.

Back