Fixed powerpacks versus replaceable AA's in controllers *spawn

That sounds like a best of all worlds option... standard batteries the user can replace at will, either rechargeable or disposable, charging stand for between uses, and a standard cable that allows charging while playing. That's a lot of flexibility and satisfies every single preference in this thread, the only penalty an increase in size... though few it seems complain about 360 or Xb1 ergonomics.

And cost, you are paying for the best of both worlds.

Hyperbole aside, you put the controller down when not in use, now you put it down in a dock. There is no additional work involved. Yes there is cost, but there is cost with rechargeable batteries and a charging unit. Overall cost is about the same and time/work is significantly less than taking batteries out of a controller and putting them into a charger and then back again.

I don't agree with either point you make but whatever it's academic anyways since psx controllers are the only devices saddled with this primitive limitation and I don't have either anyways. Mercifully most other stuff Sony makes have removable batteries so it's a non issue at the end of the day.

Like I've said before, you don't even need a dock. Multiple phone chargers are something almost all households have. I have 3 in my house and I keep one right by my PS4.

Not us, we have Nokia 1520 phones which last longer than a full day on battery power no matter what we do with them so we've long since removed all phone chargers from our house except for one on each of our night stands next to the bed. I understand though that limited phone power is still a problem on Android and iOS phones, I see it all the time with models bringing their own phone chargers with them to make sure their Android or iPhones don't die. But that's a non issue to us. Presumably other phones will catch up one day and not leave people stranded without power or going all retro and requiring chargers places all over ones house. Man that's as crazy as selling controllers without removable batteries! Oh wait...some people apparently like that.

I don't agree with either point you make but whatever it's academic anyways since psx controllers are the only devices saddled with this primitive limitation and I don't have either anyways. Mercifully most other stuff Sony makes have removable batteries so it's a non issue at the end of the day.

I'm sure you remove you cell phone battery all the time to charge it right? At the end of the day all that matters is your controller lasts as long as your play session. Between play sessions it can charge back to full. This is how we use electric cars, smart phones, tablets, etc. No one takes the batteries out for any reason, even if they could. So which is more primitive? :rolleyes:

And cost, you are paying for the best of both worlds.

I haven't priced either of the new controllers, so I'll assume you are correct. Both PS4 and XB1 can charge while playing using standard cord out of the box, so I'll accept your statement that the DS4 is cheaper. Charging stands are extra for both, so I again trust you that the PS version is cheaper.

I'm sure you remove you cell phone battery all the time to charge it right? At the end of the day all that matters is your controller lasts as long as your play session. Between play sessions it can charge back to full. This is how we use electric cars, smart phones, tablets, etc. No one takes the batteries out for any reason, even if they could. So which is more primitive? :rolleyes:

Items that are size constrained like phones whose dimensions need to be in millimeters need custom batteries, there is no option there unless you want to carry around a fat phone. Outside of that you go with removable batteries, that's the norm. It's the same with every single electronic gizmo sitting on the shelf next to me be it a microphone, led light array, camera, video camera, controller, etc...

Huh. Just looked out of curiosity. Seems the PS4 controller isn't cheaper after all? In fact, on Amazon its a smidge more. Weird. And charging station price ranges seem the same as well. Guess I missed the obvious. Do the MS charging stations require some expensive additional proprietary battery pack??

Not us, we have Nokia 1520 phones which last longer than a full day on battery power no matter what we do with them so we've long since removed all phone chargers from our house except for one on each of our night stands next to the bed. I understand though that limited phone power is still a problem on Android and iOS phones, I see it all the time with models bringing their own phone chargers with them to make sure their Android or iPhones don't die. But that's a non issue to us. Presumably other phones will catch up one day and not leave people stranded without power or going all retro and requiring chargers places all over ones house. Man that's as crazy as selling controllers without removable batteries! Oh wait...some people apparently like that.
Yes, it's very retro to have more than 1 phone charger in a house. :rolleyes:

Huh. Just looked out of curiosity. Seems the PS4 controller isn't cheaper after all? In fact, on Amazon its a smidge more. Weird. And charging station price ranges seem the same as well. Guess I missed the obvious. Do the MS charging stations require some expensive additional proprietary battery pack??
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4...F8&qid=1391477852&sr=8-1&keywords=dualshock+4
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Cont...391477849&sr=8-2&keywords=xbox+one+controller

You need the play/charge kit to charge while playing, or to be able to 'dock' your controller. You can't charge standard rechargeables inside the controller AFAIK. With standard rechargeables, you have to keep a set charged for when the batteries inside die. For that, Eneloops would be ideal, and is what I would use if I had an X1/X360. Not my ideal setup personally, but It's not a big deal. Just like keeping my controller docked isn't a big deal. Sure non-user replaceable batteries aren't ideal either, but I have no worries about Li-Ion batteries, because all of the devices that I've owned that use them have yet to fail me, except my 7 year old sixaxis.

sums up my feelings about this whole discussion tbh. What's that 3 panel stick-figure gag I've seen folks use as an avatar, "come to bed", "in a minute", "somebody's wrong on the internet".
Sums up my feelings of this thread too. Like I said earlier, I don't see much of an issue with either battery config... both have pros and cons and is a matter of preference. It really seems like some people in this thread have an agenda, blowing things WAY out of proportion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's very retro to have more than 1 phone charger in a house. :rolleyes:

Of course it's retro, it means you have an old and/or battery challenged phone. It's quaint to see people run for the phone charger, to have phone calls die mid way due to low battery, to have to dim their displays to help their phone last the day, to not be able to play a phone game to conserve phone battery life, etc, those are old school issues that don't affect us anymore. Phone chargers all over the house looks about as current as a tape based answering machine next to a land line phone. In other words, retro :)

But you said yourself that you have more than one charger in the house, even with your highly touted Nokia phone with incredible battery life. I guess you're just like the many others in the world that are living retro style.

I guess for the few people in the world that feel that it would be so primitive and emotionally against the idea of having an extra charger for your controller, or you don't want to use standby mode on your PS4, then DS4 is certainly not for you.

But you said yourself that you have more than one charger in the house, even with your highly touted Nokia phone with incredible battery life. I guess you're just like the many others in the world that are living retro style.

No silly, just one next to each night table so both our phones can charge while we sleep. Don't need them strewn about the house anymore.

Ok, so why not just keep your PS4 in standby and use that to charge your DS4? No extra purchase necessary, and no need for any massive and obtrusive phone chargers around the house (/s). I mean standby power usage shouldn't be a concern since I would imagine most X1 owners keep their system in standby, too.

You need the play/charge kit to charge while playing, or to be able to 'dock' your controller. You can't charge standard rechargeables inside the controller AFAIK.

Interesting. I never had a problem with keeping AA's charged for various devices around the house, so I never really looked seriously at a play and charge kit type setup.

But my curiosity now has me looking around a bit. Looks like there is an obvious market hole for an all in one solution, and while there may be some fundamental EE reason why it isn't a good idea, I'm not seeing it.

So the energizer stand for $30 comes with the battery packs, so for equivalent price to DS4 + stand you get the choice of charging on a stand like DS4 or swapping standard rechargeables as many of us do (an option I don't ever want to lose due to the aforementioned kids). But you can't charge while you play via cable, if that's your thing.

The nyko kit for $13 has two battery packs and USB charging cables, so for that additional cost you can charge like stock DS4 or swap standard AA's.

Or, get both, and for the <$20 premium over PS4 + stand, choose whichever of the three methods works for the current situation.

But why are these functions segregated? Why not a replacement pack that instead of having what looks like two encased AA cells, just allows you to insert any AA NiMH cells, will charge them by USB, will charge them on a stand, and will allow you to swap out the cells for fresh ones if desired?

Since I have never physically examined any of these up close, I have to assume its a size problem. Maybe the NiMH cells in the plug and play and stand charged versions are smaller than two standard AA cells, to make room for.charging circuitry? Can't be that big of a difference if so. And if that's the case, I wonder if the physical sizes make that impossible or just difficult. And if impossible, I wonder how big an impact dropping to two AAA cells would make?

Ok, so why not just keep your PS4 in standby and use that to charge your DS4? No extra purchase necessary, and no need for any massive and obtrusive phone chargers around the house (/s). I mean standby power usage shouldn't be a concern since I would imagine most X1 owners keep their system in standby, too.

I'll leave you to figure that out from my previous posts. In the meantime I think way too many cycles have already been spent on this spawn thread, figure it's due for closure any minute now.

No silly, just one next to each night table so both our phones can charge while we sleep. Don't need them strewn about the house anymore.

Congratulations. Charging a controller is an inconvenience because you specifically scrubbed your house of the resources that would make it incredibly convenient. I hope this Pyrrhic victory was worth it.

Another great thing about using rechargeable AAs is I could choose between high capacity 2500mAh or lower capacity 2000mAh.

psx controllers are the only devices saddled with this primitive limitation
This is one of those silly discussions that are getting people all het up over nothing so I wouldn't join in, but this line made me giggle. You know that rechargeable AA's existed long before compact lithium powerpacks, right? So I'm not sure how the retro approach is 'modern or sophisticated' and the modern approach 'primitive'. One could say the same of mobile phones with wireless charging. Replaceable batteries may be better, but wireless charging can't be called primitive. The new technique may be a worse approach, but surely it can't be primitive by very definition of the word!

For controllers, the ideal solution would be replaceable AAs that can be charged in the controller, but that costs. Without that, the differences are not significant and down to personal preference. There's really nothing to argue over, but that won't stop you guys trying to prove the other view categorically wrong, even going so far to use colourful language. Have fun!

Yeah but look back at the Mass Inconvenience (tm) it was to swap discs on 360 games and how barbaric that was deemed to be.

Ahh nothing like picking up on old shit like that, at least the always on DRM wasn't dragged into it :)
There was more to limited size of DVD's than having to swap them, you know this, you know it has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion, so why crap the thread?

I don't agree with either point you make but whatever it's academic anyways since psx controllers are the only devices saddled with this primitive limitation and I don't have either anyways.

I take it you meant the built in rechargeable batteries, that actually can be replaced, unlike the millions of batteries in the mobile phones, how do you handle that?

Items that are size constrained like phones whose dimensions need to be in millimeters need custom batteries, there is no option there unless you want to carry around a fat phone. Outside of that you go with removable batteries, that's the norm. It's the same with every single electronic gizmo sitting on the shelf next to me be it a microphone, led light array, camera, video camera, controller, etc...

That's not quite true. It's the norm with devices that are less constrained by size restrictions AND might find themselves without a powersource over an extended period of time. Take a portable video camera or a DSLR camera. It's a tool - and for some people, having an extra batterypack spare is a necessity, as you certainly won't find a USB port for instant recharge out when on the go.

For household consumer electronics, batteries are disappearing. As I said before, if you imagine *every portable household appliance* to rely on swappable AA batteries, it would quickly lose its convinience since it would force you to keep track of various states of charge and charge them accoardingly.

It's only convinient because you are limiting the amount of devices to your controllers and possibly IR remotes, so it's easily trackable. The more devices you have, the less convinient it is to use swappable batteries.

Imagine if all these devices had batteries you needed to remove to charge instead of a simple cable you could just plug in:

- portable electric toothbrush
- gaming controller
- mobile phone
- tablet
- laptop
- portable video camera
- headsets
- telephone
- perhaps portable mouse/keyboard with removable batteries
- etc...

One of the largest convinience of being able to charge via cable now days is that if you happen to not use one of these devices over an extended period of time and it dies, you could technically use it while you plug it in and it charges without relying on spares. Try that with a device and removable batteries...

Back