Xb1 Audio

Davros

Legend
If anyone remembers the thread about shape, it was going to bring incredible in game audio to the xb1
with a chip that was between 2x and an order of magnitude more powerful than the EMU20K1 (x-fi dsp) depending to who you listened to.
We would be getting proper sound modeling with things like wave tracing being possible.
So now that some of you have an xb1 how is the audio ? are the sounds correctly positioned in 3d space is the environment properly modeled geometry and level materials ?

A little test, find a large room fire a gun then also fire the gun in a much smaller room, any difference in the gunshot ?
Also try and find 2 similar sized rooms one carpeted and wallpapered the other with a tiled floor and walls if possible (like a bathroom) and fire the gun. Is the sound of the gunshot different, are the room materials affecting the sound ?

If anyone remembers the thread about shape, it was going to bring incredible in game audio to the xb1
with a chip that was between 2x and an order of magnitude more powerful than the EMU20K1 (x-fi dsp) depending to who you listened to.
We would be getting proper sound modeling with things like wave tracing being possible.
So now that some of you have an xb1 how is the audio ? are the sounds correctly positioned in 3d space is the environment properly modeled geometry and level materials ?

A little test, find a large room fire a gun then also fire the gun in a much smaller room, any difference in the gunshot ?
Also try and find 2 similar sized rooms one carpeted and wallpapered the other with a tiled floor and walls if possible (like a bathroom) and fire the gun. Is the sound of the gunshot different, are the room materials affecting the sound ?
Other than having the ability to use lossless formats from the get go, the difference for now is not that huge.

I have 15 Xbox One games, although I play two of them on a regular basis, and three games with truly excellent music -meaning music quality- are NBA 2k14, Powerstar Golf, and NBA Live 14.

Damned near everyone won't appreciate fine quality sound on a console, nor will most people have the means to reproduce high fidelity sound, but definitely there are games in which quality sound really adds a lot to the gameplay and the immersion.

When I watch a movie or play a game with great audio, over half of the emotion I feel is from the sound generated.

Your test could be used in games like CoD: Ghosts or BF3, but I played them like an hour (both games, BF4 was like 10 minutes, CoD, 1 hour and a half) and that's it, and I haven't checked yet tbh.

I would expect that launch games, especially those converted from 360 to xb1 midstream and multiplat ports, have not delved deeply into what the audio block might can do. Whether it proves to make a significant difference remains to be seen, but expecting that answer now is way premature.

I dont see why? Theif 4 is out next month and it supports truaudio an api that is much newer than shape.
plus truadio will only be available to a small percentage of buyers while shape is available to all buyers of xb1 games

I'm under the impression that there are some hardware resources that aren't exactly standard for PC or consoles of the past. Similar to esram it may take a bit of time for devs to make best use of that. Moreso perhaps, as audio isn't exactly first on the priority list of things to work out.

Not sure if this video can be representative of the sound on the console, but you get the idea as to how it can sound. It is from BF4. It's not my video as I only played what was like 10 minutes and left the game untouched ever since.

I will play it someday again.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1BC00FC1AC6FCC1E%21166

I agree with Bigus Dickus that you shouldn't expect the best sound from the initial line-up of games. Halo 3 sounded so bad compared to Halo 4, for instance. Muted, dull... low quality music and FX... Halo 4 was awesome by comparison.

Back