MS acquires rights to Gears of War franchise; Black Tusk Studios to take over series

The arguments have been spelt out. If the logic is false, it can be challenged, but to dismiss it because 'we don't know' is to fob off all intelligent discussion. It's no different to discussing what may or may happen regards a hardware design, only instead of evaluating knowledge of hardware components, we're evaluating human behaviour. You don't need to be a mind reader to know a hungry guy is going to be thinking about eating food when some is waved under his nose. That's obvious. IMO it's only slightly less obvious that an artist (game developer) is going to prefer working on his own stuff than someone else's, especially when he's been working on his own stuff for a year.

If people accept that notion, then the argument that BT aren't particularly happy about this change is fairly sound. If people disagree with that notion, there ought to be a logical reason why a game developer who's had freedom to create their own stuff for a year would prefer to drop that and work on someone else's IP. I've even presented one above. But presently the discussion is mostly "BT probably aren't too happy about this" vs. "we shouldn't even be talking about this".

There's really nothing I can say to argue with this. There is nothing intelligent or useful about that line of discussion. You're talking about individual human beings. If you believe you can effectively determine another persons happiness without having met them, then good on you. You'll be a billionaire. Best guess I could make is that some people will be very upset, some will be happy, some will fall somewhere in the middle, and I couldn't put percentages on any of the three groups. Speculating at any more than that is going to be me talking out of my ass.

Ok this is a different thing.
I was replying to your statement: "Pretty much every artist or artistic type I know wants to create their own work"
Now, to answer your question, I personally would probably feel "unhappy" if I was forced to leave my current project/work for another one, especially if if had devoted years of my life to it.

I have a hard time believing that a majority of developers and artists don't want to work at major developers because they don't like the ideal to contributing to franchises like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Halo, COD, BF, GTA or GT. I highly doubt that Corrinne Yu was lured to ND because they promised she wouldn't have to work on UC or TLOU but some unnamed new franchise.

I can imagine devs getting worn out creating derivatives of the same franchise time and time again for years and years. But moving a new dev to contribute a popular well respected franchise would seem like a positive endeavor for a lot of devs.

I can imagine there are possibly some former Epic employees at BT who might find Gears popping back onto their to-do list a little disconcerting. But then again its going to be on more powerful hardware and a new chapter to Gears.

I hope they create their own engine and give the game a new look. This would be quite cool and I guess the first "this gen" entry would be a good chance for a visual fresh-start...
That sounds like quite an undertaking. I skipped Judgement based on feedback I had from friends but really enjoyed the first three outings and I'm looking forward to see what a new team with, hopefully, fresh ideas can do with the franchise.

I have a hard time believing that a majority of developers and artists don't want to work at major developers because they don't like the ideal to contributing to franchises like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Halo, COD, BF, GTA or GT. I highly doubt that Corrinne Yu was lured to ND because they promised she wouldn't have to work on UC or TLOU but some unnamed new franchise.

I can imagine devs getting worn out creating derivatives of the same franchise time and time again for years and years. But moving a new dev to contribute a popular well respected franchise would seem like a positive endeavor for a lot of devs.

I can imagine there are possibly some former Epic employees at BT who might find Gears popping back onto their to-do list a little disconcerting. But then again its going to be on more powerful hardware and a new chapter to Gears.

There is a world of difference between working on "your baby" ie. Studio Santa Monica working on God of War and having a project dumped on your by your boss that you had no hand in creating. It says "we don't trust you with something original, too much risk". I imagine it was similar with Ready at Dawn. They were great at porting other people's work, but they probably wanted to create something of their own and Sony effective said "Big risk, but you earned it".

Maybe MS is risk adverse, hence they bought a ailing IP for $100m instead of spreading that around to create new internal projects?

Bring your tin foil hat conspiracies to some other discussion board. Not everyone is going to say nice things about your favorite corporation all the time.

They are far from my favorite corporation, I have owned equal numbers of MS, Sony, and Nintendo consoles as well as a scattering of others in years past like Sega, Coleco, etc., and I don't expect people to "say nice things" about anyone or anything all the time. But I did think B3D was supposed to be the objective forum, and despite what I'm sure is plenty of effort from mods, I see plenty of the same here as I do everywhere, just thinly masked in "objective sounding" words. There are members in this thread whose only posts on B3D in months have been to chime in on any opportunity to say something negative about MS. You know who you are.

And for the record, if I had the cash and were forced to buy a console today, if would be a ps4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a creative person?

Yes.

As for the rest of your post, it's just a big excluded middle, which you did get around to acknowledging that perhaps there is an alternative middle in your "either or" premise (lots, actually, which is my point... so many in this thread jumped onto one possibility at the far end of the spectrum).

They are by far my favorite corporation.
Really? "Favourite corporation" ? I bought a PlayStation PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita and PS4 and the nicest thing I can say about Sony is that make decent gaming products and I like a lot of their first party games. Maybe the front line SCE people are all gamers, I don't really care, as a company I know they just want my money. The same goes for Microsoft, Apple, Samsung and so on.

I have zero brand loyalty to Sony, I buy their products as long as they appeal but most of the appeal comes from their first party teams. If the folks at Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Media Molecule all upped and left Sony and setup Xbox One exclusive second/third party studios I'd very likely follow them to the Xbox One.

Similarly I own a ton of Apple gear but I don't think much about Apple as a company. I buy their stuff because their products do what I like, are reasonable quality, and mostly, because I'm heavily [software/media] invested in their OSX and iOS platforms and it'd be expensive to move to Windows (80x86) and Android or WindowsPhone (mobile).

Perhaps I'm in a minority but the concept of having a favourite company is just alien to me.

@dobwal
I am not saying that working on big, famous, IP would not be appealing.

My bad. Not really directed at you but the post you were responding too. I forgot the part where I was intending to make a response to you, which would of been "I guess it depends on how much your work would translate over the new IP."

Gears in terms of moving forward is pretty much in the air. The cover mechanic is pretty applicable to any third person shooter. And Gears might be in the need for a new enemy and story. The lore and the universe is pretty barren. If MS gave BT alot of latitude and free reign to make Gears a BT franchise instead of a Epic franchise, people there may not be so disappointed.

There is a world of difference between working on "your baby" ie. Studio Santa Monica working on God of War and having a project dumped on your by your boss that you had no hand in creating. It says "we don't trust you with something original, too much risk". I imagine it was similar with Ready at Dawn. They were great at porting other people's work, but they probably wanted to create something of their own and Sony effective said "Big risk, but you earned it".

Maybe MS is risk adverse, hence they bought a ailing IP for $100m instead of spreading that around to create new internal projects?

BT has no "baby" analogous with God of War. Projects get worked on all the time and are never green lit forcing devs to come up with different concepts. I am sure there are some people who might have like for the current project to move forward, but I am sure most are mature enough to embrace the ideal of working on the Gears IP. Prior to its name change, the studio was working on Microsoft Flight and a Kinect title, so its not like they haven't been through this before.

BT has no "baby" analogous with God of War. Projects get worked on all the time and are never green lit forcing devs to come up with different concepts. I am sure there are some people who might have like for the current project to move forward, but I am sure most are mature enough to embrace the ideal of working on the Gears IP. Prior to its name change, the studio was working on Microsoft Flight and a Kinect title, so its not like they haven't been through this before.

Sounds like they might be even more bitter than I would have thought.

But I did think B3D was supposed to be the objective forum, and despite what I'm sure is plenty of effort from mods, I see plenty of the same here as I do everywhere, just thinly masked in "objective sounding" words. There are members in this thread whose only posts on B3D in months have been to chime in on any opportunity to say something negative about MS. You know who you are.

I am certainly not objective (AM2 4ever!!!!). Do I have to be to post here?

There's really nothing I can say to argue with this. There is nothing intelligent or useful about that line of discussion. You're talking about individual human beings. If you believe you can effectively determine another persons happiness without having met them, then good on you. You'll be a billionaire. Best guess I could make is that some people will be very upset, some will be happy, some will fall somewhere in the middle, and I couldn't put percentages on any of the three groups. Speculating at any more than that is going to be me talking out of my ass.

I have to agree with this not because I have something against Shifty as I don't...;)

Coming from an artist/filmmaker perspective if someone offered me the opportunity to work on a film project to reboot a well known AAA movie franchise, I'd be quite ecstatic to say the least especially if I had not worked on any AAA project prior. On the other hand if I just finished making the 3rd film and they asked me to make a 4th and 5th I wouldn't be that excited. Or if I had a proven history of making great original AAA movies but was told the production company wouldn't finance my next movie and gave me an existing franchise to reboot.

Additionally the fact they offered me the opportunity to work on a AAA franchise says they have a lot of faith in my skills and talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or to put it more realistically, after working on crap projects for the studio for years you finally are making your own film that you wrote the script for. But then the studio tells you to shelve it for a part 5 in a series that has been in decline since part 2. But I agree, no one probably enjoys pumping out sequels, some studios have the power to push back and branch out (ND, Bungie).

It's not realistic if there's no proof that "your own film" was even fleshed out beyond a tech demo...

Keep trying to spin this into a 100% unproven negative...

You don't need to be a mind reader to know a hungry guy is going to be thinking about eating food when some is waved under his nose. That's obvious. IMO it's only slightly less obvious that an artist (game developer) is going to prefer working on his own stuff than someone else's, especially when he's been working on his own stuff for a year.
I suppose I disagree. Your assumption, and particularly that you believe it obvious, seems to be simply an opinion without any supporting facts, just your beliefs about what others must feel, and far from self evident. I grant that a component of what you describe will be there (as I said earlier, a few temporarily bent egos), but the dynamic is surely much more complicated than that. I see no compelling reason why a BT employee wouldn't emotionally and rationally weigh the pros and cons of the situation and find that this is a good thing. He may not, but I fail to see the logic that shows that should be the obvious outcome. Certainly nothing presented from you or others. And again, I entered the tread to point out how eager some here are to take any nugget that anyone has suggested could be a negative related to MS and start cheering.

If people accept that notion, then the argument that BT aren't particularly happy about this change is fairly sound.
Yeah, I just find it a possibility that may apply to some out of the body of employees, certainly not all and no a priori reason why it should be so for BT as a whole.

But presently the discussion is mostly "BT probably aren't too happy about this" vs. "we shouldn't even be talking about this".
If that is directed at my first post, its a misreading. I'm all for open discussion, including the option of openly pointing out when the discussion is clearly heading down doom and gloom loony lane.

So many feels about the feels.

Anyone care about what they'll do with gears? Marcus seems rather done with losing his close ones. Maybe they should focus on Carmine #4 :3 Marcus can retire making babies with Anya (they can recon and say the illusion mutated her from sterile to full war factory status).

Anyone care about what they'll do with gears? Marcus seems rather done with losing his close ones. Maybe they should focus on Carmine #4 :3 Marcus can retire making babies with Anya (they can retcon and say the imulsion mutated her from sterile to full war factory status).

Or maybe they secretly saved some shavings of Dom's beard and will resurrect him as Dom LeDom, imulsion pirate ghost.

Meanwhile an ancient evil awakens, and the 2 other giant worms start producing [strike]spice[/strike] imulsion and the gears of war start turning once more!

Anyone care about what they'll do with gears? Marcus seems rather done with losing his close ones. Maybe they should focus on Carmine #4 :3 Marcus can retire making babies with Anya (they can retcon and say the imulsion mutated her from sterile to full war factory status).

I hope its a total reboot with a redesign and set in a different time period. I mean hasn't the whole big clunky armor thing gone out of style.

How about Marcus great great grandfather or great great grandson. Not advanced enough to don heavy mech armor or advanced to produce slimmer less bulky armor.

Back