Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

The splashing looks the same on both consoles to me with the PS4 featuring slightly heavier rain than the XBO. The PC version seems to have significantly increased rain density and splashing though.

The only other differences I could see in the PC version were a little extra debris on the ground in one of the scenes and a general increase in very distant detail but it's so subtle it's barely worth mentioning.

I'll be interested to see how the PC high settings compare. I'm going to guess they are a more direct match for the PS4 and unless you're packing a very powerful GPU the Ultra settings are pretty much to be avoided.

Incidentally I'm not seeing the PC aliasing issues that have been mentioned before. If anything the PC version looked a bit cleaner to me. I wonder if that's just an attribute of how they record the video.

On Digital Foundry PC test they said that with Ultra textures, the Fur on Tallion's outfit looks bigger.
Yup just noticed that the rain density is different in the PC version. I believe PS4 runs with comparable High setting or maybe between high setting and Ultra ? Minus constent 60 fps.

Just picked this game up for the X1. From what I have played it looks better than I thought it would graphically. It does play alot like Arkham City.

I just played a marathon session and I pretty much did everything but the main story. My gaming OCD makes me collect everything and do all the side missions.

Hmm the batman comparisons are actually putting me off, I got Arkham City a while back and really struggled to get into it. It was ultimately abandoned for Farcry 3. Not sure what to do about this one now. Hell maybe I should give batman another crack first.

You might be having the same problem I was. I played AA for a couple of hours and just could not get into it or understand how it was receiving rave reviews. It was a dead experience for me. I could not squeeze a single PJ of fun out of it.

I came back to it the following year and YUMMED it up.

The first time I was using keyboard and mouse, and the second time I was using a 360 controller. I think that was the difference.

I just played a marathon session and I pretty much did everything but the main story. My gaming OCD makes me collect everything and do all the side missions.

Haha, this is so me. When I first played GTA San Andreas, I reached that point in the story where the city is opened up as territories which you can invade (and have to defend). The moment this happened the main story was sidelined I spent spent a day edging round the city and taking every territory over :)

Black Flag too. If there's expiration to be done or arses to be kicked, the main story is going to be put on hold. As long as it's fun if course!

<__NSBlockVariable__: 0x1a8f6eb0>

Black Flag too. If there's expiration to be done or arses to be kicked, the main story is going to be put on hold. As long as it's fun if course!

I was the same with Black Flag. I didn't want to do the story at all frankly because of those appalling eavesdrop missions and 'real world' bits. Everything else was awesome IMO.

Only problem was there were many roadblocks to the non-story content until certain abilities were unlocked by progressing the story.

Does Mordor really give you free reign to almost 100% the game, just leaving the story missions until last?

OK I have been playing the game a bit and I really like it.
Her's my opinion after few hours:

The combat is no doubt FreeFlow BUT it does improve in 2 areas form what I have seen so far: 1) you can counter while performing a ground takedown, which is not possible with FreeFlow, and IMO it's a lot better because the ground takedown is interrupted/denied BUT you can can keep the combo going and so keep the flow. (I suggested Rockested to do the same but they never listened and this is a win for Monolith IMO)
2) you can grab enemies and either stab them, mark/bran, drain them shove them away and it does add a bit of varietyy compared to FreeFlow.
The fact hat you need to eat food scattered around to restore HP adds a bit of difficulty compared to FreeFlow.

There is a "automatic cover" system that requires no button to be pressed to get to cover either while standing up or while being crouched and it really works better than Batman Cover system...actually I have played/finished Ground Zeroes recently and SOM cover system is IMO much better and more reliable that GZ's one.

The nemesis system is great IMO; I stupidly tried to kill a captain before knowing its weaknesses and he managed to avoid begin killed and in return killed me easily.
The parkour is well made eve if it's not as articulated or "beautiful", pass me the expression, as AC's parkour but it's nonetheless functional and fluid.

I really like that you need to drain the enemies' "spiritual energy" to use you abilities. and it less frustrating/stupid than to have to drink potions IMO.

Only negative side so far is that the the HUD is really intrusive...bit that is because my personal hate that come into play.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I have been playing the game a bit and I really like it.
Her's my opinion after few hours:

The combat is no doubt FreeFlow BUT it does improve in 2 areas form what I have seen so far: 1) you can counter while performing a ground takedown, which is not possible with FreeFlow, and IMO it's a lot better because the ground takedown is interrupted/denied BUT you can can keep the combo going and so keep the flow. (I suggested Rockested to do the same but they never listened and this is a win for Monolith IMO)
2) you can grab enemies and either stab them, mark/bran, drain them shove them away and it does add a bit of varietyy compared to FreeFlow.
The fact hat you need to eat food scattered around to restore HP adds a bit of difficulty compared to FreeFlow.

There is a "automatic cover" system that requires no button to be pressed to get to cover either while standing up or while being crouched and it really works better than Batman Cover system...actually I have played/finished Ground Zeroes recently and SOM cover system is IMO much better and more reliable that GZ's one.

The nemesis system is great IMO; I stupidly tried to kill a captain before knowing its weaknesses and he managed to avoid begin killed and in return killed me easily.
The parkour is well made eve if it's not as articulated or "beautiful", pass me the expression, as AC's parkour but it's nonetheless functional and fluid.

I really like that you need to drain the enemies' "spiritual energy" to use you abilities. and it less frustrating/stupid than to have to drink potions IMO.

Only negative side so far is that the the HUD is really intrusive...bit that is because my personal hate that come into play.

I like this summary, the gameplay really looks interesting, make me want to plunge into the game.

About the HUD, the size of the map is OK IMO, we need a map, right?

ovQW6e.jpg

I have read that you can turn off some of the HUD stuff, what can you turn off exactly in this screen? for instance can you remove that annoying and useless "No target selected Hold Options" message?

iwhmTPeM19Cq1.jpg

I had the same surprising experience with "counter" being able to break any action, if the counter initiation isn't too late. That was annoying in Batman.
Additionally, I have the impression that basically everything is scaleable, besides the occasional "real" terrain blobs here and there. You quickly realize then that all the geometry is exactly designed to accomodate that feature, it looks a bit blocky because of it, but's okay.
It's a bit sad that when getting the towers reforged all the tasks in the area are revealed, I would have loved to look for them blindly, especially the ones behind walls and under structures.

It picks up a lot of elements of AC, Batman and Tombraider.

So far I've only died once. I basically f'ed up my controls and missed a dodge against a captain. Otherwise I'm just steamrolling. So far any time I've been in a stronghold, I kill a ton of guys, but usually have to run and heal once a lot of archers are spears show up. Those guys are the only real threat. I've killed a lot of bosses so far.

Oh, and for whatever reason, there's a lot of those mount animals running around, and I pretty much flee from them immediately. Best way to escape them is to lead them into a pack of Orcs.

Digital Foundry PS4/PC Ultra comparison

On the last news it seems that Xbox One version is also in 1080p@30 fps

It seems like developers need to work a bit extra to make their games run at same resolution on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Recently, our friend at GameSpot did a tech analysis of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Xbox One version and discovered that it runs at 1080p/30 FPS after installing Day One Patch.
http://www.gamepur.com/news/16450-m...80p30-fps-locked-xbox-one-thanks-day-one.html

Last edited by a moderator:
About the HUD, the size of the map is OK IMO, we need a map, right?

I have read that you can turn off some of the HUD stuff, what can you turn off exactly in this screen? for instance can you remove that annoying and useless "No target selected Hold Options" message?

On screen waypoints do their job well so minimap is really not vital IMO, also consulting the main map form the menu IMO gives you a better idea of where you have to go; to locate nearby targets/threats I use the Wraith vision that highlights enemies/archetypes perfectly.
No need to look at he HP bar either because the screen gets darker/red when you are low HP, form time to time I pick up food to restore HP.
You might want to look at blue bars because they tell you how many arrow you have left but there is a on screen reminded when you have none.

You can turn off counter icons, combat hits, enemy awareness indicators but the rest can't be turned off sadly.

Been playing about an hour and a half and really loving this. The tutorials are minimalist but having played Assassin's Creed the basic combat is immediately familiar. I'm really liking the atmosphere and just getting a feel for the game, e.g. distances and elevations at which enemies can spot you.

Some of the dialogue is unintentionally hilarious, though. Having massacred about 15 orcs near, what looks like a farm, I spy another dozen of so heading in and creep up on top of a look point. It's great you can hear the orcs talking (mostly bitching) as they go about their business or marching. As the first orc gets to the area, he sees all the bodies and cried "oh no, there's been a murder".

A "murder"? :LOL:. Yeah, quick, someone call the police! :LOL:

Time spent on main missions: 0. Time spent creating havoc: 90 minutes, haha.

Brilliant and I know I've not scratched the surface.

Back