Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

Someone more knowledgeable than me needs to give a proper answer but I didn't think there was an actual reserve on the PC and the app has full access to the CPU if it needs it (and nothing else is running of course). I thought the whole point of the console reserve was to allow predictable performance for both games and apps which the PC doesn't really have.

Right but say that voice chat is handled by the OS-side CPUs on the consoles, voice chat still has to be handled on the PC as well, etc.

Incidentally, I also don't know if it is relevant to calculate with 6 cores instead of 8? 2 cores reserved for OS features doesn't mean that they're not doing anything useful that the PC doesn't also need to do? It's not like the PC doesn't have any OS overhead?

On PC, games in theory could have anywhere from 1% up to 99% of the CPU for themselves.

In other words, using the example of 2 cores reserved for OS on a console, a game is virtually guaranteed 66.67% of available CPU resources. Whereas on PC there is no guarantee. There's been times where I have stuff going on in the background but feel like firing up a game on PC and my game has a whopping 30% (or less) of CPU performance available to it. And other times where it has more than 90% (but almost never uses that much).

So, obviously comparisons can be difficult. On PC you can do things voluntarily to free up more CPU time for games. On consoles you can't. Then again on PC you can do things to really strangle how much CPU time is available for games. On consoles you can't.

Regards,
SB

Oooh snap. The ghost that is helping the Ranger in the game is none other than Celebrimbor! He forged the rings of power while Sauron was still in its "I'm gonna manipulate everyone" phase. :D

It's such a shame that we dont have more games that are focused on events from Silmarilion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviews are here, and they are very positive! They are praising unique open world gameplay [endgame missions that are not hand-holdy and are trully "emergent"], story, nemesis system, combat and more.

Joystiq: 5/5
Polygon: 9.5/10
The Escapist 4.5/5
Gamesradar: 4.5/5
IGN: 9.3/10
Shacknews: 9/10
EGM: 8.5
Game Informer: 8.25
Gamespot: 8/10
Eurogamer: 8/10
Destructoid: 6/10

Game supposedly runs at 1080p60 on PS4, and PC gamers can download optional Ultra textures pack that requires 6GB of VRAM for 1080p gaming. :D
ShadowOfMordor-2014-09-25-20-55-27-91.png

A next gen game that isn't just exciting from a presentational, but a systemic point of view? Am I still tucked away under my sheets dreaming, or did this actually happen?

So gonna buy this.

Yeah read Eurogamers review of this earlier and it was very positive, definitely considering this one now. Kinda want to read LoTR and Silmarillion again though so I can appreciated all of the tie ins properly. I used to be very in to Tolkien but it's been years since I've read the books.

Yeah read Eurogamers review of this earlier and it was very positive, definitely considering this one now. Kinda want to read LoTR and Silmarillion again though so I can appreciated all of the tie ins properly. I used to be very in to Tolkien but it's been years since I've read the books.

Excellent. This looked really appealing but some of the previews from E3 play were worrying so I wrote it off as likely going to be a disappointment. So happy to be proved wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

6 Gb VRAM? It's nice to see finally texture quality going up. I hope 8 Gb cards are released soon. I'll upgrade most certainly once those are avilable.

I don't think there will be much improvement. Monolith is probably just brute-forcing largest possible textures they had over larger distances around the user. With little blur and dof, majority of those distant textures will be hidden away.

edit - PS4 screens

iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

Well well, looks like my GTX780 6GB is gonna be warming up again soon.

Hopefully the game mechanics will make it stand out from the awful tiredness of fantasy RPGs as a genre.

If I can play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter on a 2GB card, then any 6GB requirement for a game that looks like this is complete BS. Like some kind of developer dick-waving contest to see who can use the most resources on PC version, whether it's needed or not. I'll be very curious to see if the difference is even noticeable.

Several of the reviews mention this is an open world game, which was a surprise, but none of the reviews that I've read (or watched) explain the open world mechanics. Do you have to walk everywhere like Assassin's Creed until you unlock fast travel points?

Every single review has focussed on the combat, Nemesis system and upgradable skills.

Can anybody point me to a review that explains the open world mechanics, or is it just like AC/GTA etc?

If I can play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter on a 2GB card, then any 6GB requirement for a game that looks like this is complete BS. Like some kind of developer dick-waving contest to see who can use the most resources on PC version, whether it's needed or not. I'll be very curious to see if the difference is even noticeable.

Its good to have the option IMO its not like they're making this a requirement to run or even max out the game - you need to download a separate texture pack just to enable this. Hopefully we'll see some comparisons online soon.

For my part this pretty much solidifies by decision to make my next GPU upgrade a 6 or 8GB model, now to wait until that much memory hits mainsteam prices!

Report from gaffer who has played PC version of the game.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131855657&postcount=1209

Game internally supports downsampling, so 3-4GB VRAM is probably not enough for trully "maxed out 1080p" with Ultra textures. Game is also optimized well for Radeons [it's a Nvidia sponsored game], and R9 290X without downsampling and ultra textures gives smooth gameplay with rare drops to 50s.

6 Gb VRAM? It's nice to see finally texture quality going up. I hope 8 Gb cards are released soon. I'll upgrade most certainly once those are avilable.

There are a couple R290X 8GB Saphire cards out there, shipping in tiny volumes though. Or you could try to apply to the FirePro W8100 rebate program and get one of those for nearly the same price (ie. still bloody expensive).

Several of the reviews mention this is an open world game, which was a surprise, but none of the reviews that I've read (or watched) explain the open world mechanics. Do you have to walk everywhere like Assassin's Creed until you unlock fast travel points?

Every single review has focussed on the combat, Nemesis system and upgradable skills.

Can anybody point me to a review that explains the open world mechanics, or is it just like AC/GTA etc?

I don't know about fast travel but you can use ride an animal, can't remember the name, rather than go on foot all the time.

I don't know about fast travel but you can use ride an animal, can't remember the name, rather than go on foot all the time.

Ok cool. I wonder how big the map is and long it takes to get around it.

I see the PS4 digital version is 26Gb. Still deciding whether to go for digital or Blu-ray.

I think I might get this. At first I heard there was no multiplayer, so I was going to skip it, but reading reviews it sounds like they have some really interesting gameplay ideas. Wish there was co-op, but it looks like a great game. I hadn't followed it at all.

Back