AMD demonstrates Freesync, G-sync equivalent?

A competently designed scaler in a monitor takes a couple lines and outputs in real time ... it shouldn't care how long the Vblank was. Of course there is a lot of incompetence in the world.

I agree. This really shouldn't be all that complicated.

I think the problem occurs, though, if the scalar estimates the resolution based on something like hsyncs per vsync.

Of the course the correct way is to count the visible lines between vblanks.

Strange thing is horizontal resolution must be determined by time between hblanks, so why not do the same with the vertical resolution?

Driving the initial nails in G-Sync's coffin :LOL:

I guess reading that link and similar ones we'll likely still be reading for the next 18 months will give you something to do while G-Sync owners are enjoying their variable refresh rate gaming and you're waiting for freesync to become an actual product you can consume.

Its nice that you wont be bored.

As long as GSYNC monitors don't implement some kind of a vendor lock, they should work with AMD GPUs too. ;)
Both are working exactly the same at least as seen by the monitor (variable vblank intervalls on a DP interface).

I guess reading that link and similar ones we'll likely still be reading for the next 18 months will give you something to do while G-Sync owners are enjoying their variable refresh rate gaming and you're waiting for freesync to become an actual product you can consume.

Its nice that you wont be bored.

I'd be pretty surprised (and disappointed) if it took anywhere near that long.

I'd be pretty surprised (and disappointed) if it took anywhere near that long.

Don't get me wrong, the sooner this is available to all PC gamers the better. But I see no reason to bash what is universally accepted as a great technology just because one GPU vendor thought of it first and decided to profit from that idea.

At the end of the day, no matter what you think of the propriety nature of the technology, without Gsync, there would be no (eventual) Freesync.

28" 4K Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m has DisplayPort 1.2a and supports FreeSync.

That was quick! I mean qicker than 18 months or so predicted before :)

Now we need GPU driver which supports this functionality and a good independent review comparing it to G-Sync.

Cue typical beta Catalyst driver with some major caveats which also happens to kill some other features. Maybe a release driver with the thing more or less officially supported about 8-12 months later. And somehow going missing again some driver releases later down the road.

Contrast an Nvidia driver working as advertised from day one and onward.

'Equivalent', sure.

Contrast an Nvidia driver working as advertised from day one and onward.

'Equivalent', sure.

Yes, like the broken game profiling for months. The non-existent video acceleration for some cards for months. A driver revision that killed some consumer's cards. Bugs in various games. Bugs introduced in some games when a revision of a driver comes out to increase performance in the newest games. Horrible Windows instability and blue screening/random reboots during Vista launch (no such problems with AMD drivers at Vista launch). Etc.

Yup, equivalent to AMD drivers for sure. Both vendors drivers have had problems over the years. I'd put up a list of problems that AMD drivers have had, but I'm sure you're already aware of them. :p

Regards,
SB

The breakthroughs in near realtime communication with other quantum realities just come at an astounding pace these days.

That was quick! I mean qicker than 18 months or so predicted before :)

Now we need GPU driver which supports this functionality and a good independent review comparing it to G-Sync.

That's awesome if so but until we see it in a fully working end to end solution then I remain dubious. IF AMD could get official driver support out quickly though and IF this works just like Gsync then that would indeed be a big coup for AMD at Gsync's expense.

Now all AMD need to do is sort out their stereoscopic 3D act and I'd be able to consider buying a Radeon again.

Now all AMD need to do is sort out their stereoscopic 3D act and I'd be able to consider buying a Radeon again.
What's to sort out? I don't play a lot of PC games, but in the ones I've played in the past two years 3D worked. Either natively or with Tridef. Tombraider was the last I played and it looked excellent with AMD as you said (in another thread) it looked excellent with Nvidia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back