CES 2014: JANUARY 7-10, 2014

If they want to become the 'netflix of games' then they better open up to as many platforms as possible. Imagine playing Uncharted on PSNow, on Xbox :devilish:
I'd expect iOS would be supported. No brainer really. Just curious about controls on phones and tablets.

I'd be very tempted to pay for last of us or uncharted on the PC if it were available just to see what all the fuss is about. Hopefully the quality would be comparable to the PS3 original.

They have a custom version (not the existing rack mount) of the PS3 for PS3 games, I assume they will do the same with PS4 now the hardware guys have some bandwidth.

The big question is still pricing to me, I don't think it's going to be "cheap".

Time to show a little bit of knowledge is dangerous :)

I think the PS3 AAA games will be the bottleneck. PS1 and PS2 you can emulate on a PC, so no need for custom servers and it should scale in amazonian cloud fashion way.

PS3 I assume you can not emulate, so you need enough PS3 servers that handle the load/request for playing PS3 games on the devices that Game Now supports. The reason I am guessing that AAA is the bottleneck, is that if a game is made with Phyre Engine for instance. Which I think is a multiplatform SDK/Middleware/Something, it should be possible to recompile games based on that suit of software for the PC platform.

PS4 is "close" to PC as a hardware platform, so it probably is not a big issue to compile a version for PC ie Game Now, if it becomes very popular. Basically add Game Now Server as another output from Phyre Engine for smaller titles. AAA could get a requirement to take care of that to pass certification etc. And another assumption is that a Game Now server (virtualised most likely) should be easily more powerful than a PS4 if needed. And you can tailoer the virtualized hardware so that it only reserves what is needed to run for example Resogun...

Economic viability, well, I assume the capex now will be high, but it should have decent opex going forward, if you get to the point where the servers are virtual machines in a cloud. When I do not want to play Resogun anymore, just shutdown my VM and fire up another one for the guy that wants to play Killzone Shadowfall. You need less hardware and because that flexibility gives higher utilisation of the hardware.

If they want to become the 'netflix of games' then they better open up to as many platforms as possible. Imagine playing Uncharted on PSNow, on Xbox :devilish:
I'd expect iOS would be supported. No brainer really. Just curious about controls on phones and tablets.

iOS has official controls now, and they could just add DualShock pairing to any iOS or Android app for PS Now. Going back to the Feb 20th event last year they painted the future of Gaikai as something that would be extended as widely as possible, including tablets, phones and PC. I wouldn't count on an Xbox App, though.

They have a custom version (not the existing rack mount) of the PS3 for PS3 games, I assume they will do the same with PS4 now the hardware guys have some bandwidth.
Did they announce PS4 game support?

Also apparently GameStop shares dropped after the announcement.

Time to show a little bit of knowledge is dangerous :)

I think the PS3 AAA games will be the bottleneck. PS1 and PS2 you can emulate on a PC, so no need for custom servers and it should scale in amazonian cloud fashion way.

PS3 I assume you can not emulate, so you need enough PS3 servers that handle the load/request for playing PS3 games on the devices that Game Now supports. The reason I am guessing that AAA is the bottleneck, is that if a game is made with Phyre Engine for instance. Which I think is a multiplatform SDK/Middleware/Something, it should be possible to recompile games based on that suit of software for the PC platform.

PS4 is "close" to PC as a hardware platform, so it probably is not a big issue to compile a version for PC ie Game Now, if it becomes very popular. Basically add Game Now Server as another output from Phyre Engine for smaller titles. AAA could get a requirement to take care of that to pass certification etc. And another assumption is that a Game Now server (virtualised most likely) should be easily more powerful than a PS4 if needed. And you can tailoer the virtualized hardware so that it only reserves what is needed to run for example Resogun...

Economic viability, well, I assume the capex now will be high, but it should have decent opex going forward, if you get to the point where the servers are virtual machines in a cloud. When I do not want to play Resogun anymore, just shutdown my VM and fire up another one for the guy that wants to play Killzone Shadowfall. You need less hardware and because that flexibility gives higher utilisation of the hardware.

I believe PS4 support is a ways off yet, PS3 was the initial focus, they could require a PC version ps PS4 titles, but that would require the developers do it, and as a result limit the library to some extent, nothing is ever as simple as recompiling. The advantage of dedicated PS4 servers, is Sony can deliver any content they can sign the business agreement for without having to deal with multiple SKU's.

As I say IMO it all comes down to price in the end, what are people willing to pay to play a PS3 game? Pricing hadn't been decided the last time I spoke to anyone who would know, but I wouldn't expect it to be a cheap option for playing games.

Do it for the PS+ free games first? Sony and some close third parties already give them out for "free".

I'd be very tempted to pay for last of us or uncharted on the PC if it were available just to see what all the fuss is about. Hopefully the quality would be comparable to the PS3 original.
It would be Beyond Two Souls for me, mainly because of the actors and stuff like that.

Two days left before the CES is over, I wonder if there will be a megaton, but I don't think so.

It would be Beyond Two Souls for me, mainly because of the actors and stuff like that.

Two days left before the CES is over, I wonder if there will be a megaton, but I don't think so.

CES historically isn't the place for big gaming announcements although the Playstation Now reveal and 4.2 million in sales certainly are significant.

It works, but it was running from "a server down the hall" according to the destructoid article. It'll be interesting to see how much lag there is in a real world scenario
PlaystationNow + BraviaTV + Dualshock3 bluetooth pairing was demoed and few PS3 titles be playable. God of War: Ascension, Puppeteer, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls And Vita device was another demo but thats more like a remoteplay without own gaming console. Journey was a testbed for crossplatform multiplayer gaming where console players did not know other characters were coming through the PlaystationNow cloud infra.

I was playing Witcher 1 on the original Gaikai service, me sitting in Finland and Gaikai server who knows where it was. Experience was playable maybe not a premium gfx quality. OnLive works fine as well, I have used it demoing few interesting games then bought a title in Steam for premium quality. PlaystationNow would be an excellent pay-to-play service at the hotels. Bring own DS3/DS4 controller or rent one at the reception desk. Buy gaming time for weekend and let kids play Dead Space.

Few Bravia 2014 televisions and other Sony devices support VP9 video codec. Gaikai used to run on customized x264 encoder. Video canvas is tiled and only delta changes per tile are sent over the network. Static lower third huds are updated less frequently. I think they keep using x264 and no VP9 is used due missing in other devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
PlaystationNow + BraviaTV + Dualshock3 bluetooth pairing was demoed and few PS3 titles be playable. God of War: Ascension, Puppeteer, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls And Vita device was another demo but thats more like a remoteplay without own gaming console. Journey was a testbed for crossplatform multiplayer gaming where console players did not know other characters were coming through the PlaystationNow cloud infra.

I was playing Witcher 1 on the original Gaikai service, me sitting in Finland and Gaikai server who knows where it was. Experience was playable maybe not a premium gfx quality. OnLive works fine as well, I have used it demoing few interesting games then bought a title in Steam for premium quality. PlaystationNow would be an excellent pay-to-play service at the hotels. Bring own DS3/DS4 controller or rent one at the reception desk. Buy gaming time for weekend and let kids play Dead Space.

Few Bravia 2014 televisions and other Sony devices support VP9 video codec. Gaikai used to run on customized x264 encoder. Video canvas is tiled and only delta changes per tile are sent over the network. Static lower third huds are updated less frequently. I think they keep using x264 and no VP9 is used due missing in other devices.

I"m just saying the demos they did had the Playstation Now server on the LAN, which is not the real world scenario, I have no doubts that it works, but the responsiveness and maybe image quality from bandwidth would be slightly different. It may work incredibly well. This type of service is a very good idea.

Onlive sure wasnt very liked, but now people love this? hmm...

Anyways, definitely will watch with interest.

I want to know what is rendering these PS3 games. Did they managed to produce x86 emulator of PS3, and if so, where can I steal it? :D If they are using truckloads of PS3s in server rooms.... I will be disappointed.

Onlive sure wasnt very liked, but now people love this? hmm...

Anyways, definitely will watch with interest.

The complaints about Onlive primarily had to do with the library and the cost - all of which hasn't been disclosed yet so what is there to complain about?

Oh that's right it's Sony getting a free pass from the media again right.... :LOL:

I'm sure once they release the pricing and the library people will chime in with what's wrong with it.

I want to know what is rendering these PS3 games. Did they managed to produce x86 emulator of PS3, and if so, where can I steal it? :D If they are using truckloads of PS3s in server rooms.... I will be disappointed.

Nowt wrong with that! :smile:

PlayStation%203%20Server%20cluster.jpg

Nowt wrong with that! :smile:

PlayStation%203%20Server%20cluster.jpg

Well... I have to admit that latest PS3 Super Slims are very energy efficient, probably much more efficient than PC hardware that is needed to emulate it. They could probably produce racks that have only PS3SS motherboards and cooling, no HDD/BD drive/case, connect them to badass storage center that holds all game ISOs. This way they can emulate PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP [and maybe even Vita] games with those PS3s.

It's interesting that they kept complete ps3's in the pic, case and all. I'd have figured they would use stripped down ps3's, just bare boards mounted on a rack.

Warhawk, as betan notes, is old. Launch or very close too launch. Sony were a mess back then so it was probably the quick and dirty solution. I wonder if Sony eventually developed rack mounted PS3s or if they just kept on going with the console racks.

From @MSFTNERD

*Microsoft is bringing InstantGo support for BayTrail+, Mullins and other SoCs with Windows 8.1 Update 1.

*Microsoft is planning to bring Surface 3 powered by Nvidia Tegra K1 processor with Denver CPU (64-bit ARMv8) in end of 2014.

*You can expect Surface Mini and LTE versions of Surface 2 before the end of 2014.

*Microsoft is planning to use AMDs upcoming Mullins CPU instead of their custom designed chip for its upcoming Xbox TV.

*Microsoft’s previous plans to release Surface notebook is on hold for now.

Back