NBA 2k14. The Ryse of sports games?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
I love basketball -and football (soccer) for that matter- so I decided to buy NBA 2k14 -I had them all on a yearly basis, from NBA 2k6 to NBA 2k11 (the best in the series, til now -only surpassed by NBA 2k14, imho) the other day and I am having lots of fun with the game. It is one of the best sports games ever made, if not the best.

Additionally, it features European teams, like Olimpyakos, Real Madrid, Zalgiris Kaunas, CSKA Moscow, etc etc, which is a big plus for me. I hope that the European teams join the NBA in the future.

I am sure that a future star player like Luka Doncic -the emerging star of the Real Madrid junior team- will be in the NBA in the future, he is A-mazing.

Back on subject, I read people saying that the game looked awesome, but I thought that perhaps people were exaggerating and it wasn't such a big deal. Man, was I wrong! I stared in awe when I first saw this game and this may well be the Ryse of sports games, technically wise.

You would have to see it for yourself on the PS4 or Xbox One to believe me.

The only problem I have with the game so far is that the online can be laggy. But I barely play sports games online anymore. I got tired of both NBA and FIFA games of people retiring from matches early on if they weren't playing well, other times they give you bad rep for no apparent reason other than you winning the match, and fairly so -I have many flaws but playing cheap isn't one of them-.

Today I decided to play an online match and it was the last straw for me. I was the Atlanta Hawks and the guy was playing Miami Heat, and at the end of the match his team made 59 points, but he was using Lebron most of the time, Lebron scored 51 of the total team's points, and he made like 50 something shots.

Thankfully for me I blocked quite a few of them and defended well -he almost always went to the baseline for easy shots, layup + foul), so I kept his percentages low, but it was an obnoxious match. The everyday of sport games online though.

I rather prefer to play against the CPU, you learn plays on most difficulty levels and they try to play actual basketball.

The game is amazing overall and a great showcase of what the new consoles are truly capable of.

Right now I am completely addicted to My Team -gotta try My Player and the new GM mode-. It is like the Ultimate Team in FIFA, but it is so much fun, I love how they present it. :eek:

I always play a match at least once a day. The My Team mode is comprised of some special features where you are given some players to start with, and they are usually rated the 60s or less overall, or one of them is rated 70 overall but that's a rarity.

Still you can play pretty good basket with those if you try. The CPU randomly decides what players will be in your team.

This is my team: STARTERS-- Beno Udrih, Mike Miller -the only one rated 70-, P.J. Tucker, Cody Zeller, Kosta Koufos. BENCH. Sixth man: Jeremy Evans. Rest of the bench: Keith Bogans. Pablo Prigioni. Chris Copeland. Nick Collison. Terrence Jones. Shaun Livingstone.

I have quite a few shooters, like Udrih, Mike Miller, Keith Bogans, Pablo Prigioni... I would like to hire Kyle Korver, he is only rated 64 but he is a pretty good player overall, especially on the attack.

My only gripe with the game is a classic one, and it is the lack of a proper end to end camera. I like to play viewing the entire field, as if I was there, and cameras like 2k, Action, High and Wire do that.

The problem is that the camera angle changes, be it during a new quarter or after a play. With the 2k camera for instance, when you get the ball the camera flips behind your players -which is the way I want it-, but if the opposite team starts a new possession then the camera flips and you can't do much about it.

This also doesn't help when you steal the ball, because the camera rotates instantly and since the controls are absolute -camera related- you were counter-attacking pressing down and the camera rotate you have to press up to get to the baseline of the opposite team.

I lost momentum on many counter-attacks because of that, losing the opportunity to make very easy baskets 'cos when I switched directions to go forward, the precious time it took me to change a direction allowed the opposite team to recompose their defense.

On defense it doesn't let me rearrange my defense as quickly as I'd like to, from time to time either, for the very same reason. I must look into a solution... perhaps I am missing something.

Finally, if I had to score this game I'd give it a 9,7 overall.

New patch for NBA 2k14. It fixes a few things of this already sublime game, and adds a new Beluba camera -well some changes to it, gotta try-.

Here is the full list of things this patch adds to the game.

https://blog.2k.com/index.php/home/single/nba-2k14-next-gen-patch-3-notes

EDIT: Just in case 2k staff are reading this. PLEASE, add an end to end camera like 2k-Wire-Drive-High that doesn't flip and always keeps in the same position, behind your players, full time, not only during an entire half.

I can only "fix" the problem I have with the camera flipping if I disable the "Camera Flip" option. That's fine and dandy, but in the second half the camera automatically switches sides and I have to enable the "Rev Angle" feature. Just a minor annoyance, but still...

In addition, there are times when the shooting feedback doesn't say how well or bad my player performed. Oddly enough, the game doesn't provide me with feedback -only like 1 time out of 10- with Mike Miller when playing My Team. I wonder why... I have the Xbox One version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really into basketball but the game does look amazing. The last NBA 2K game I owned was on Dreamcast and it looked amazing back then too.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_xbox_one_videos_of_nba_2k14-14867_en.html
I didn't watch the videos yet, just read the comments. The framerate is simply perfect, regardless of the camera angle you use. I like end to end cameras, and camera angles like Action and Lock Player run at 60 fps all the time. Lock Player is the equivalent to Pro Camera on FIFA, but that camera angle runs at 30 fps on FIFA -every other camera runs at a flawless 60 fps on FIFA 14-.

I was into NBA Live then I gotta admit. It wasn't until NBA 2k6 when I began to play NBA 2k. I had also had NBA 2k3 on the original Xbox, a great game, but I was so sold into NBA Live that I didn't become a fan of the NBA 2k series by then.

It took me a few years, 5 or 6 no less. I still fancy a NBA Live game with the quality of some titles of the past in the series, updated to the modern standards. NBA 2k14 has set the bar too high anyways... It is a very difficult challenge for NBA Live.

I played the new NBA Live demo and it wasn't that bad but nothing to write home about -stiff animations, and odd transitions between animations, plust a very passive unintelligent AI, were the most problematic things-.

I have the game and I have to admit that when I first saw it running at the MS store, I thought they were watching a live game. Until I watched it. I don't like the controls so far but I have yet to really delve into it. I'll give it more of a go over the holiday...

I have the game and I have to admit that when I first saw it running at the MS store, I thought they were watching a live game. Until I watched it. I don't like the controls so far but I have yet to really delve into it. I'll give it more of a go over the holiday...
Try the tutorials, you will love them, I think. I got used to jumpshot with the right stick rather quickly once I tried that on NBA 2k7 or so, after years of using the X button for jumpshots.

It isn't that easy at first but now I barely press X, if it's not for a few post moves and the alley-oops -LT + X-. Still I felt like my jumpshots were more reliable when I used X, just because I was so accustomed to it I had a great timing. Enabling feedback for jumpshots is perfect in any case, it helps to improve your timing.

wow, that's exciting. i'm a huge 2k fan -- or was -- and worried that they'd fallen off the horse. last straw for me was downloading their game for ios -- i knkw i shouldn't expect much from an ios game and i wasn't -- but it was a completely unplayable mess that had been farmed out to some Chinese dev house. it was shameful and made me want to punish them forever! but heh, if you say the new one is realistic (i am a strictly sim style fan) the i'll check it out. disappointing that they stopped supporting pc but i imagine i'll have a ps4 in a few months...

wow, that's exciting. i'm a huge 2k fan -- or was -- and worried that they'd fallen off the horse. last straw for me was downloading their game for ios -- i knkw i shouldn't expect much from an ios game and i wasn't -- but it was a completely unplayable mess that had been farmed out to some Chinese dev house. it was shameful and made me want to punish them forever! but heh, if you say the new one is realistic (i am a strictly sim style fan) the i'll check it out. disappointing that they stopped supporting pc but i imagine i'll have a ps4 in a few months...
I always played NBA 2k on consoles, and it has been a great game since NBA 2k6. My favourite was NBA 2k11, which was not only a great sports sim but it featured the Jordan challenges, new game modes where Michael Jordan was the star. My absolute favourite is NBA 2k14, better animations, new gameplay modes and nice visuals.

My only gripe with the series is that towards these past years the game evolved very little between instalments, they sat in their comfortable position and the game felt the same almost every year, save a few changes in the features department.

Forgot to mention in the previous post that you can use X for jumpshots, of course, as usual, although once you get used to the right stick you might not need it that much, save specific situations and moves.

My only gripe with the series is that towards these past years the game evolved very little between instalments, they sat in their comfortable position and the game felt the same almost every year, save a few changes in the features department.

Yeah that's definitely my take on 2k in recent years. It's nice that it's the only hoops game where you can properly box players out, take a charge, and maybe even block someone during a jam animation, but it really hasn't changed in four years it sounds like. And yes, right stick is the only way to shoot - makes pump fakes so much easier.

The last basketball game I played was Commodore's International Basketball for the 64 but, on the strength of this recommendation, demo downloading! Thank you PlayStation app. Should be done by the time I'm home :)

are you sure you are not dowloading the nba live 14 demo ? there is no NBA2K14 demo on my ps4 store.
If they demoed NBA 2k14 they would sell the full game on droves. I thought there was a demo on the PS4 store, it's not on X1's, and yes, there is a NBA Live demo on the Xbox One games section too, so maybe that's the case.

I tried NBA Live the other day, it's not that bad, but there are still many things to improve.

I've been playing the My Career mode of NBA 2k14 more these days and I'm completely addicted. It is one of the most addicting things ever added to a videogame.

The weather has been stormy here -the landline phone got fried, thankfully I disconnected the router just in time or it would be fried too- and I found out that if you create a My Career when you are online the game asks you for a connection to continue to play. However, if you are offline, and you create a My Career then it will never ask you for a connection.

Loving the My Career mode so much -the cutscenes should be skip-able up to the point where you have to reply to a question or make a choice-, and I'm really enjoying it and will have to go back and play it some more right now.

I don't know what's the reason, but the servers of this game didn't work most of the time for me. Fortunately I barely play online -especially sports games- and I had created a My Career game while I was offline, so I can progress from there.

But my first My Career save, which was created with a functional online connection would be useless because I have to rely on 2k servers. Luckily for me, my initial My Career was an experimental one, and I had created it out of curiosity.

It's not a problem of the connection at all on my end because the PC and the Xbox One were perfectly connected to the internet.

Back