Well this just happened: Disney announces F2P Star Wars game with microtransactions..

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/

Looks like a Tie-Fighter/X-Wing look-alike using a platform that resembles World of Tanks.
I thought the Star Wars games were all going to be made by EA and their internal studios, but this is being done by "Area 52".
Google tells me that Area 52 has made.. zero games so far.

I'm not thinking X-Wing Space Combat Simulator when I look at this. More like Rogue Squadron and that one UT2004 space assault mission. Star Wars Battlefront had some third person space clusterblank too.

Tie-Fighter/X-Wing look-alike using a platform that resembles World of Tanks
This much is exciting.
The chances of the actual monetisation model even vaguely resembling the WoT model is very low.

We don't need to worry though, Disney are as eager to merchandise and whore out their Star Wars IP as George Lucas was himself. Some other moneygrubbing thing will come along in relatively short order...

Obviously not nearly enough lens flares for the modern Star Wars environment :p

Actually looked to have promise from that vid.

Gameplay looked ok. It actually reminded of the space shooting in one of the levels in Halo: Reach.

Joysticks are barely sold anymore?
I had a quick look at an online store, the cheap one is sold out (added to the store in 2006), one of the next cheap ones is an ugly space alien robocop thing. And then there's various hardware for flight sims.

A real Xwing game is played on keyboard + joystick. That combination was relatively common in the 90s (joystick with two buttons, or four buttons, or buttons + hat, with maybe a throttle) but nowadays nobody uses one. Though with current tech I guess you can make a good one for cheap, and wireless so you can put it away when not used.

The gaming "studios" won't spend $10 million or more on a joystick game either.
btw for all hate we can have against F2P games, an affordable joystick bundled with a couple F2P games (or straight old-school demo/shareware) would be a good thing if we wanted a joystick revival.

It looked pretty Rogue Squadron to me. Maybe that's why it had "squadron" in the name.

Gameplay looks very boring.
Makes me wish for a proper new X-Wing game though.
Maybe the company making those DCS simulations will do one. ;) X-Wing was after all basically Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe gone Star Wars (same company). Made by a simulation company.

I've been wondering what Chris Roberts' success story will spur. I'm sure he has gotten the attention of the execs at the various publishers.

Not quite but,
Diaspora - free

Battlestar Galactica?
I think I'll pass. :p

Most unimaginative tv series I've seen in a long time.
And don't get me started on those the final episodes...!
Even the fact that it's free doesn't cut it for me!

There are a bunch more Freespace 2 mods. I saw there is even a Star Wars one.

I set up their Freespace 1 on Freespace 2 conversion a month ago and discovered that these space games do less for me now than when I was 17 or so. ;) I am interested in seeing what Chris Roberts' modern day space shooter ends up being like though.

The only live thread in the PC gaming forum is about a dead ftp crap starwars game. :(

Back