No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

I wonder how I could miss this thread. When I wrote the title for a similar thread there weren't coincidences... odd. Both facts froze out any possibility for me to not create a thread on this game.

This game has a dreamy feeling to it. I am not into space games, not that much, but one of the most addicting games I played on the PC was one about space exploration and space commerce.

It reminds me of Total Annihilation, with a different philosophy.

Looks aren't everything. I'm currently addicted to Desktop Dungeons, and that most certainly isn't a good looking game.

The gameplay combined with the art style is what has people all gaga. There are seemless transitions from planet to space to galaxies.

At night if you look up into the sky. Every star you see in the sky is a star you can go to and explore. Open world? How about the entire surface of a planet you land on is explorable? Not just pre-defined patches of the world. And every ocean on that planet is likewise explorable. Compared to what they are promising for this, games like Skyrim and GTA should not be called open world games. :p More like teeny tiny sandbox games.

Now that obviously isn't for everyone. Being procedurally generated, it isn't going to have tailored content everywhere. And I know some people find that boring and pointless. But for others that just like to explore, stuff like this is incredibly exciting.

As well, there will be combat. Both FPS and in space ships.

If the developers can follow through on their promises for the game, this has the potential to be truly amazing.

Regards,
SB
Yep, it seems fun and I kind loved the fact that everything is procedural. Also being a space game it makes me imagining things and travelling to different planets.
Heck if I could I think I would live in the space, things on earth will just keep on getting bad and worse until, finally, humans wake up & clean up their mess.

It might take a while, though... we'll see the sea getting to your backyard, more cities flood and more animals going into extinction, of course more poverty and famine and starvation and disease...

Then finally, it may dawn on us that we should take care of the Earth & its animals and also each other rather than pursue money and greed.

One of the reasons I loved Mass Effect was the atmosphere, it made you feel you were in space.

Now that I mention it, if there are Aliens among us, -actual aliens- seeing how things are on earth, and if they are smart, which the probably are, they need to get back on their space ship & get the heck outta here.

I think this game will stink, just my intuition. My prediction is a very large shallow experience. The game play will have little depth, but the worlds and space will be big and varied. People fall for pretty and short trailers to often and then let their imagination construct a game in their head. Kind of a Rorschach test for gaming. I hope I'm wrong.

Sure but stuff like this is why Minecraft was so popular. There doesn't have to be a carefully manufactured game experience for a game to do well. Sometimes people just want a sandbox to play in. At it's heart Minecraft is similarly shallow with regards to gameplay with even more rough graphics and an even smaller development team. There's basically just exploration and crafting/building/programming stuff with very rudimentary combat thrown in. It's the sandbox experience.

I'm pretty jaded about a lot of things. But the potential for this is what has me excited. It may completely fail to deliver on those promises. But the concept still excites me.

Regards,
SB

Looks aren't everything. I'm currently addicted to Desktop Dungeons, and that most certainly isn't a good looking game.

The gameplay combined with the art style is what has people all gaga. There are seemless transitions from planet to space to galaxies.

At night if you look up into the sky. Every star you see in the sky is a star you can go to and explore. Open world? How about the entire surface of a planet you land on is explorable? Not just pre-defined patches of the world. And every ocean on that planet is likewise explorable. Compared to what they are promising for this, games like Skyrim and GTA should not be called open world games. :p More like teeny tiny sandbox games.

Now that obviously isn't for everyone. Being procedurally generated, it isn't going to have tailored content everywhere. And I know some people find that boring and pointless. But for others that just like to explore, stuff like this is incredibly exciting.

As well, there will be combat. Both FPS and in space ships.

If the developers can follow through on their promises for the game, this has the potential to be truly amazing.

Regards,
SB

Fair enough. I haven't seen any of the stuff you said in the trailer, but I guess it's fair.

People fall for pretty and short trailers to often and then let their imagination construct a game in their head. Kind of a Rorschach test for gaming. I hope I'm wrong.

I kind of love it for that. Here we have a small making something very ambitious, and making it look great with a very good trailer.

Now compare that to what a lot of big AAA teams are doing. They hardly show anything, and they show that over again, and they just talk. So much meaningless talk about how great it's all going to be but never bothering to actually show it. And that's because they believe they can sell on name alone, which they probably can.

But if you look at the forums, then everyone seems to find their vision of next gen boring. It's not next gen enough, however you define that. So yeah, I like that small guy has upstaged the big guys with something actually exciting. Even it still remains to be seen if can make a decent game out it.

I just hope there's space for my exploration and discovery itch. I wish that if someone doesn't want to, he can avoid space combat completely. Be a treasure hunter who finds and carries treasures around and sells them or something !

No Mans Sky

I cant believe theres no thread about this game, of all the games shown at e3 this was the most interesting for me personally and technically as well

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27807167
Its game, No Man's Sky - an "open world" science -fiction game title - has arguably generated more buzz than any other title on show here in Los Angeles.
Shown on-screen as part of Sony's PlayStation press conference earlier this week, it had the audience cheering - and other developers looking on with envy.

Over 30 years ago Ive had ideas for a couple of games
1. A top down MMORPG (this has sort of been realised now with the invention of the internet since then, but no game is exactly how I envisaged all those years ago)
2. Fly from planet to Planet spacegame (not actually landing on the surface but flying around them)

No Mans Sky looks to be a realization of a dream of mine, in fact exceeds it

Sure its lacking polish Though it is still quite a long way off, but I take my hat off to these guys :oops:

I'm sure it could end up being disappointing very easily, but this game really got me excited when I first heard of it, and now it looks great. It seemingly comes closer to realising the dreams of generations for whom Elite (and perhaps Blood Money) was probably the first open-world game they ever encountered than anything else I've seen so far, in that it's not merely a next^5 gen copy, but something that goes a bit further. Above all it's the smoothness of going to a lush world and into space, and having every star in the night sky being a place you can go visit, it's a wonderful feeling. I really hope they can get the flora and fauna vary in more than simple variations of earth animals.

No Man's Sky looks really good. Having spent way-way-too-many-hours playing Elite on the C64, the idea of exploring a massive procedurally generated universe really appeals. However I do wonder how different things will be. I.e. all you be finding lifeforms and remembering you saw something just like, but with smaller ears, about six planets back?

I'm also waiting to see more of the core gameplay. It's got ground, air and space-based shooting elements but they've not shown much about the gameplay yet - probably keeping it under wraps for later.

However, this is way up my list of anticipated titles. Unfortunately they've not even hinted when it's due. 2014? 2015? 2016?

My first thoughts were they're giving elite a lot of air time, but this is an indie effort... wow. Sign me up.

Zed, you never heard of captain blood? Thought you was an old timer lol

My first thoughts were they're giving elite a lot of air time, but this is an indie effort... wow. Sign me up.
Very indie. Hello Games is just four people so this is an incredible achievement but that's the power of well crafted procedural math!

This makes me drool at the potential of what Star Citizen is trying to achieve long term.

Captain Blood, yes, that's what I meant sorry ... ha ha. Opens with a remix of one of my favorite Jean Michel Jarre pieces, and has some really weird (and forward looking) language interaction. Game was too hard for me at the time, but I was very intrigued by it. I think that was 25 years ago, I was 14-15.

Not to be annoying, but the main issue i see with these gigantic "random" generated content games is the risk of being incredible boring in the long run (pun intended).

I hope they have plenty of hand crafted objects, planets, stories etc to flesh out the world and feel of the place/space.

That being said, this game looks fantastic and i am really looking forward to seeing how this will play out.

Elite Dangerous also looks promising, but i doubt it will make it to the consoles.. sadly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7K9Rl7fRjc

Im too old, thats AFTER my time of playing games. ;) I only played games up until about 85/86

I hope they have plenty of hand crafted planets
Thats impossible, even filling a whole 500GB harddisk of image you will only have a single earth sized planet with not much detail, not to mention the 1000s of man years involved to create such a thing in the first place.

Realistically There are only two options
1. procedurally generated
2. nothing

Also procedural stuff can sometimes give better results than handcrafted stuff, due to the fact artists dont have an infinite amount of time/patience

It also depends how the System is set up . I found it interesting how they test the Content that is created. They send out bots into space to capture animated gifs and Display them as a wall of thumbnails to check the variety.

Back