No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

I hope they do cos such stuff is awesome to carry with you and play in spurts and share with people around you.

BTW, so this was the only exciting thing to come out of VGAs? So much for the usual Keighly hype.
Edit:damn this iOS7, jumbles up the spellings all the time :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet it's a next-gen game, so PC, PS4 and One.

I don't get the hype at all. In fact, at first I thought people were being sarcastic after the reveal. So weird. Procedural or not, it looks ugly.

Doesnt seem like game could run on Vita and they said in the VGX thats next-gen game.

I didn't see the show, but considering the world has to be generated once and the visuals are pretty simple, I think it can run on a Vita. If not thats a big bummer :-/ cos this kindof game needs to eb with u when u move, not something I would sit in front of a TV once a week to play.

I don't get the hype at all. In fact, at first I thought people were being sarcastic after the reveal. So weird. Procedural or not, it looks ugly.

Looks aren't everything. I'm currently addicted to Desktop Dungeons, and that most certainly isn't a good looking game.

The gameplay combined with the art style is what has people all gaga. There are seemless transitions from planet to space to galaxies.

At night if you look up into the sky. Every star you see in the sky is a star you can go to and explore. Open world? How about the entire surface of a planet you land on is explorable? Not just pre-defined patches of the world. And every ocean on that planet is likewise explorable. Compared to what they are promising for this, games like Skyrim and GTA should not be called open world games. :p More like teeny tiny sandbox games.

Now that obviously isn't for everyone. Being procedurally generated, it isn't going to have tailored content everywhere. And I know some people find that boring and pointless. But for others that just like to explore, stuff like this is incredibly exciting.

As well, there will be combat. Both FPS and in space ships.

If the developers can follow through on their promises for the game, this has the potential to be truly amazing.

Regards,
SB

I didn't see the show, but considering the world has to be generated once and the visuals are pretty simple, I think it can run on a Vita. If not thats a big bummer :-/ cos this kindof game needs to eb with u when u move, not something I would sit in front of a TV once a week to play.

World is generated on the fly, like for example Minecraft, but its much more complicated.

Watch this, thats not Vita quality game :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s

World is generated on the fly, like for example Minecraft, but its much more complicated.

Watch this, thats not Vita quality game :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s

Minecraft world isn't generated on the fly, it is first generated and then u play in a fixed world, just like Terraria too. It will be the same here. The trailer seems to be the same one which I linked in the first post. I think they can easily remove some gfx features if required and run it on the Vita. I hope they do, but , yes, they are only 4 people, and developing for beefier system will be easier.

Great concept, but I'm a little concerned about the 'day 1 progression' simply because not everyone starts on day one. If the general focus is a rush to the centre of the universe, when many players start, other players will already be very progressed. How will that impact the late-comers? (And by late comers, I mean people who get it a couple weeks later and can only spend a few hours a week against the crazy 8 hours per day players from day 1)

It all depends on what the full game design is, for in that we have no idea other than a vision of a battle in space and a title describing the game as no man's land between warring factions, only not on land. If it involves meeting entrenched players with high resources and fleets bossing you around, it could be impenetrable to new players and limit adoption.

Minecraft world isn't generated on the fly, it is first generated and then u play in a fixed world, just like Terraria too.
I'm fairly sure that Minecraft only generates the immediate chunks of game world around your initial spawn point and the remainder are generated as you move around. This is why game world saves start quite small then grow huge as you explore more. I've got Minecraft saves over 200mb.

You can test this out by using something like MCedit which yours you view/edit save worlds, look at a fresh world and it doesn't extend very far at all. Explore a bit more and re-save and re-view it and it's grown.

I'm fairly sure that Minecraft only generates the immediate chunks of game world around your initial spawn point and the remainder are generated as you move around. This is why game world saves start quite small then grow huge as you explore more. I've got Minecraft saves over 200mb.

You can test this out by using something like MCedit which yours you view/edit save worlds, look at a fresh world and it doesn't extend very far at all. Explore a bit more and re-save and re-view it and it's grown.

Might be then, I am not aware of it. The way it worked didn't seem that way back then. It generated the world and then let me enter it, then it was fixed everytime. Terraria did the same for me, but I never checked its save file either.

For this game too, it seems world will be fixed as it is shared with other players. But yes, they do mention something like planets being generated as one visits them, so yes,in this one it generates the surface and ecology of a planet when some player chooses to explore. The way it all sounds it seems the worlds will be generated on servers and not on local machines, as there is no other way the world could be shared between players and still be the same for them all if it is being randomly generated locally. WHat if two players find a new planet simultaneously from different directions. The resulting planet has to be generated on a common server. This is turning into an MMO kindof game I guess.

I expect something like Elite. World's are created on the fly but not randomly (they can't be if multiple people can visit the same planet and encounter each other). There'll be a procedural system and common seed, and all results are calculated the same way from the same seed. This means a planet will be built as you visit it, adding more detail as needed according to the algorithm, like a fractal. That's exactly how Elite worked - each planet visited (outside of a few core predesigned planets) was assembled from cut-and-paste parts according to a formula.

I think this game will stink, just my intuition. My prediction is a very large shallow experience. The game play will have little depth, but the worlds and space will be big and varied. People fall for pretty and short trailers to often and then let their imagination construct a game in their head. Kind of a Rorschach test for gaming. I hope I'm wrong.

Back