#61 PS4 Dragon Age Inquisition
#70 PS4 NBA 2K15

#71 XBO Battlefield 4
#74 XBO Madden 15

#79 Wii U Hyrule Warriors
#80 Wii U Super Mario Bros U bundle

#88 XBO Dragon Age Inquisition
#91 PS4 Infamous Second Son

Whew. Half the top 100 is next gen now. And this doesn't even include accessories or things like points cards and Amiibos that are probably mostly purchased for next gen by now.

Dunno how to do that color coding thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
No current sales suggest this...they suggest more like a struggle to reach 20 million.

Consider Xbox and Gamecube sold around 25 million, Wii U doesn't seem nearly as popular as those.

I wouldn't be so quick to snipe Nintendo down... I can't picture XB1 doing XB360 numbers. Maybe 45 million tops... US/UK carrying the bulk of sales.

XB1 should be at least some 20%+ ahead of 360 even worldwide to date. And with the drop to 349 I wouldn't expect that to cool off.

However XBO's problem will be sustaining 360's longevity, 360 was killing it in 2010-11, years 5-6.

And we'll see if MS wants to carry this hardware through a particularly long generation, so we may see a new console after 5-6 years imo which could also affect XBO.

Depending on price I think they may well be able to do that though. Again, I think signs point to there being a WHOLE lot more sales for Sony and MS to divvy up, and so far it looks like PS4 will take the substantial majority, but XBO can still top 360 while firmly in 2nd.

I wouldn't be so quick to snipe Nintendo down... I can't picture XB1 doing XB360 numbers. Maybe 45 million tops... US/UK carrying the bulk of sales.

If your projection for XB1 is to do 45 million tops then I wonder what your Wii U projection is. As Rangers said it's not looking like it will even reach GCN numbers by the end of its fifth year on the market.

Sony FY14 Q2: 3.3M PS4, 0.8M PS3, 0.7M PSV/TV shipped

GAF: Ethomaz

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/14q2/

You can see the Q1 numbers too: 2.7m PS4 + 0.8m PS3.

13.5 million PS4 shipped total.

15486005238_f33c335277_o.png

Edit: No doubt Sony has sold through to customers 12 million units worldwide...

PS4 Dominates Xbox One in Ubisoft Platform Sales Charts

2710173-byplatform.jpg

The chart speaks for itself. One of the most standout statistics is that PS4 rival Xbox One actually ranked fourth for the quarter ended September 30. With 9 percent of sales, the Xbox One was outsold by PlayStation 3 (19 percent), PC (17 percent), and Xbox 360 (16 percent) during that three-month period.

PS4 share for Ubisoft games widened when looking at sales for the six-month period ended September 30. 32 percent of all Ubisoft games sold during that term were PS4 titles, compared to 15 percent for Xbox One.

This is a significant shift from the last generation of consoles. As you can see in the chart above, for the first six months of Ubisoft's first-half of last fiscal year, Xbox 360 was the leader at 29 percent, compared to 24 percent for PS3.

the Xbox One was outsold by PlayStation 3 (19 percent)... and Xbox 360 (16 percent)

So the Playstation 3 had better sales than the 360 on UBI's games. I guess this can put an end to the "unhappy PS3 owners upgrading to PS4 sooner" argument.

Also, if we're going to use Microsoft's own 'family' terminology we have:

Xbox family: 25% of UBI's sales
Playstation family: 40% of UBI's sales

This will likely change over the coming months now that the Xbox One is priced more competitively.

Wow, PS4 3.3 mil, total shipments 13.5mil! Calendar:
2013Q4 - 4.5M
2014Q1 - 3.0M
2014Q2 - 2.7M
2014Q3 - 3.3M

Can we then easily expect 4.5mil+ in this quarter?

SONY IS BREAKING OUT PS4 AGAIN? this is huge news!

LOL.

Get with it now, Microsoft...

Anyways pretty expected ships, nothing gigantic, which I kinda suspected something gigantic only because Sony ships for holidays early.

Can we then easily expect 4.5mil+ in this quarter?

Uhh, 4th Q? Geez skies the limit, 7-8 million should be in play at the low end. 360's best ever Q was 8.2 I think.

For a like for like compare Jul-Sep, it's 2.4 million Xbox 360's + Xbox One's, and 4.1 million PS4's+PS3 and .69 million Wii's+Wii U's.. I'll update the table thing later.

Last Q March-June for Sony was kinda heavy for sales imo, so I think Sony overshipped a bit that one, and that's why you didn't see blowout numbers this time.

Edit: Interesting this gives us more insight into late stage 360 v PS3, as it gives us two new Q's of Ps3 vs 360 data in effect, and 360 slightly outshipped PS3 both quarters. 3.5 vs 3.3, and 800k vs 700k.

Ars takes another whack at the numbers, estimates PS4 has at least 65% market share in a two-console market.

Strange way to look at it, because isn't the installed base of the Wii U and X1 comparable?

But with the price cuts, X1 should pull ahead of Wii U (which hasn't ever had a price cut?) and maybe even gain some ground on the PS4.

Ars takes another whack at the numbers, estimates PS4 has at least 65% market share in a two-console market.

Strange way to look at it, because isn't the installed base of the Wii U and X1 comparable?

But with the price cuts, X1 should pull ahead of Wii U (which hasn't ever had a price cut?) and maybe even gain some ground on the PS4.

This is a prime example of the gaming media bias that is rampant throughout the industry. Up until a few months ago, it was written as if X1 was having a similar success story as the PS4, and how much better they were doing than Wii U. No question the PS4 is a beast, and is having tremendous success, but the X1 is sitting closer to Nintendo's camp than Sony's. I think it will stay that way for longer than some expect. This Christmas holiday will be very telling, if the X1's userbase doesn't soar past the Wii U, then the Wii U may be toe to toe with the X1 for another year. I actually see a scenario where Nintendo moves nearly a million units in Japan this November/December, and actually widens the gap with the X1. Time will tell on that one, but so far the PS4 seems to be dominating with the demographic that the 360 and PS3 shared pretty equally for the prior five to six years.

GAF did a calculation with new PS3 numbers, and they came to the range of "better than 82.3M and less than 85.6M".
PS = 89.3 - (one year where ps2&ps3 were combined) ps2's previous year was 4.1 thus 85.2 minimum if you think the ps2's last year was as good as its previous year, which is unlike all other consoles so I'ld guess between 86-87 for the probable range

From the last quarter shipment numbers 3 months ago
zed said:
I'ld guess 50/50 or even (shock horror less xbones than xb360's)
1.1 (xbone & 360) vs 0.8 ps3
So Im guessing I was correct theres a high chance in that quarter 360's outshipped xbone's & thats why they combined the numbers

Ars has released new article about console sales, this time they did not go with crazy speculatinos like the last time.
yes theres a bit of a change :)
ps4 10.54 million > 13.50
xbone 7.42 million > 6.7-7.35

I didn't even look at the Ars article but, a decent guesstimate for X1 shipments is 7.5 million (this is assuming 700k X1 two quarters ago and 1.7 last Q). We know 13.5 for PS4. So, not quite 2-1. Latest quarter, probably 3.3 ps4 vs 1.7 x1 (again the X1 number only an educated guessestimate though). And, X1 just dropped to 349 in the states which theoretically should help market share. So, imo it's close to 2-1.

Install base of Wii U, they were at 7.29 shipped. X1 has likely equaled or exceeded that worldwide as last quarter (again given the 7.5 guesstimate) and if not will easily surpass it in Oct-Dec. So yes, for now you could say their bases are comparable, at least as of the end of September, but ongoing sales should be no contest with X1 at least doubling Wii U, probably a good deal more.

yes theres a bit of a change
ps4 10.54 million > 13.50
xbone 7.42 million > 6.7-7.35

Ars X1 estimates are likely a bit on the low side. Although actually, I could see a case for 7.2 X1, if you break down Apr-Jun as 700k 360, 400k X1, rather than vice versa, assuming X1 had overshipped prior. My guesstimate is 700k x1, 400k x360 for apr-june=1.1. and 1.7 X1, .7 360 =2.4 for jun-sep. But we cant know the true numbers.

This is a prime example of the gaming media bias that is rampant throughout the industry. Up until a few months ago, it was written as if X1 was having a similar success story as the PS4, and how much better they were doing than Wii U. No question the PS4 is a beast, and is having tremendous success, but the X1 is sitting closer to Nintendo's camp than Sony's. I think it will stay that way for longer than some expect. This Christmas holiday will be very telling, if the X1's userbase doesn't soar past the Wii U, then the Wii U may be toe to toe with the X1 for another year. I actually see a scenario where Nintendo moves nearly a million units in Japan this November/December, and actually widens the gap with the X1. Time will tell on that one, but so far the PS4 seems to be dominating with the demographic that the 360 and PS3 shared pretty equally for the prior five to six years.

the real problem is even screw ups by sony like drive club and the constant psn black outs and the lack of exclusive titles in the holiday and price drops aren't helping MS .

its quite strange to say the least. Anyway apparently someone on linked in posted they are working on shrinkg the xone apu. If they are able to get that into boxes early next year it could help them reduce costs even futher . I don't mind the size of the xbox one but alot of people complain about it (Even though its silent compared to the ps4) but a micron drop on the apu could decrease the size of the box also giving them a mini relaunch

the real problem is even screw ups by sony like drive club and the constant psn black outs and the lack of exclusive titles in the holiday and price drops aren't helping MS .

its quite strange to say the least.
It's too early for those failures to filter down into action. I can't expect PS4 momentum to be stopped within a couple of weeks of one game being buggy, while reports of PSN being repeatedly impaired are only just surfacing. Over time these might have an impact (if Sony doesn't sort itself out) but it's not at all strange that the 'hero of the hour' is given a little free pass. Apple rode its early impression as the best handheld/tablet/OS maker for a long period after they started to fall behind and make ridiculous cock-ups with massive impacts; Sony's are nothing like as bad as Apple's yet for PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back