All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS is obviously desperate to gain more market share. This may be the first official price drop, but they have been VERY aggressive with bundling and pricing all year.

edit: This appears to be temporary, just like all of the other deals.

Why is this desperation? This is the first price drop in a year. That should be how it goes in consumer electronics. There is still the $450 sku.

Any case, consumers win.

MS attempted multiple times with bundles and excluding kinect from sku.

November: XB1 launches
March: Titanfall, the biggest MS exclusive of the year, bundled free with every XB1 purchase.
April: Forza 5 bundled for free
May: XB1 gets a new $399 SKU, removes Kinect, for June.
August: Madden bundled for free, FIFA and Forza bundled for free.
September: get a free game on top of bundled free games, includes any recent game like Destiny.
October: Sunset Overdrive bundled for free
November: $50 price cut across all bundles, Two-pack Assassins Creed Bundle and Call of Duty bundled with XB for free.

From GAF.

They are doing a great job, they combine the campaigns with games, and gain more market share while the enemy "sleeps".

Sure, they would look really bad if they didn't run these campaigns and sales would be bad, but with Sony not doing anything comparable Microsoft can slowly crawl back.

I like the fact that they bundle with games. Reminds me of NES :) but really who wants a console and have nothing to play immediately? Having that bundle in is really critical to customer experience I feel. It may be seen as desperation but I hope it is a practice they continue.

They are doing a great job, they combine the campaigns with games, and gain more market share while the enemy "sleeps".

Sure, they would look really bad if they didn't run these campaigns and sales would be bad, but with Sony not doing anything comparable Microsoft can slowly crawl back.
Not sure Sony are sleeping - they just can't afford the luxury of extravagant offers. :p And they don't need to either given the machine is selling well enough without such marketing. Although there is something to be said for going for the jugular as soon as possible.

Or it's part of their strategy: waiting to see the enemy's forces in order to better counter it.

"Gentlemen, we never shoot first, do shoot !"

I wish they were "desperate" back during last December. LOL.

I messed around and bought my consoles in the wrong order. Damnit.

Unless, Sony is really feeling the pressure (I doubt it), there is really no point in following with a pricecut. MS didn't flinch when Sony cut 2/3rds of the price off the PS3 the first year. And given the PS4 seems to be doing better than the 360, I see no point.

MS didn't flinch when Sony cut 2/3rds of the price off the PS3 the first year.
I'm assuming you mean 1/3rd. The PS3 still hasn't lost 2/3rds of its launch price, not if we're looking at the main SKU anyway.

A $200 PS3 in 2007 would have been pretty sweet, though :D

I'm assuming you mean 1/3rd. The PS3 still hasn't lost 2/3rds of its launch price, not if we're looking at the main SKU anyway.

A $200 PS3 in 2007 would have been pretty sweet, though :D

Yeah I meant 1/3rd or 2/3rd of the original 60GB sku.

I probably would of bought em by the pairs if they had ran that low. LOL

Yeah sony won't cut their price, Im guessing theyre be selling close to how ever many they make, so wheres the intelligence of selling the same number but getting less cash

Do we know the current costs to manufacture the consoles? Surely they've come down since launch.

A price cut for XB1 makes sense because the company now has a 1 million console deficit in its home country. So far most of what they've done has had some nice positive effects but I do think an actual cut to $349 for the holiday season will have a great impact on the console's sales. There's going to be awesome deals and sure it will entice a lot of consumers into opting for the Bone over PS4. I'm not sure of the sway it will have, but surely it will have some effect and the sales numbers will be interesting.

And then I wonder how close Sony is to affording a $349 price tag. If they're able to lower the price for the holiday season then it will essentially nullify the Bone's price cut. As others I doubt Sony will do that just yet unless it feels some serious pressure,

It seems the XB1 price cut is working it's magic already on Amazon.

#25 XB1 COD:AW Bundle $449
#42 XB1 Game Console $399 (?)
#45 XB1 AC: Unity Bundle $349

Not sure Sony are sleeping - they just can't afford the luxury of extravagant offers. :p And they don't need to either given the machine is selling well enough without such marketing. Although there is something to be said for going for the jugular as soon as possible.

What i am thinking is, that i would want to keep the momentum high, and going. Microsoft have done so much to crawl out of their original vision that they are starting to look like a contender again.

They cleaned up their Kinect Act, and started to use their war chest to buy to some love. Slowly but surely they are getting the ball rolling. I would do whatever i could to stay ahead, no resting on laurels.

XBone in U.S.: 275€
XBone in Europe: 400€

Ouch..
No VAT differences would ever justify a 45% price difference.

They cleaned up their Kinect Act, and started to use their war chest to buy to some love. Slowly but surely they are getting the ball rolling. I would do whatever i could to stay ahead, no resting on laurels.
But Sony aren't slipping behind. there's no point spending more money than necessary. If your investment doesn't provide returns, it's a waste. A decent marketing budget is all PS4 needs at the moment. A price cut would just harm Sony's bottom dollar.

Now if XB1 starts to gain ground/PS4 sales start to slip, then Sony should act.

Now it's a case of waiting to see what effect this has on the sales. Also, surely they need to do some similar deal with European countries, since their sales are even lower proportionally to the US. Or is it a case of accepting their fate of 2nd place across that continent?

I agree that there's little action that Sony need to do for the moment, they're market leaders and demand is still very high and greater than than the competition in every single market, or even every country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back