All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
More desperation from MS. Although, I don't think price is the Xbone's problem. If it was they would've began matching or exceeding the PS4's sales when they dropped from $499.

More desperation from MS. Although, I don't think price is the Xbone's problem. If it was they would've began matching or exceeding the PS4's sales when they dropped from $499.

I'd quite like Sony not to drop the price of the PS4 for a month, just to see whether a lower Xbox One price really helps Microsoft.

I take it Halo Anniversary comes out in the same period?

I wouldn't call it desperation... it's just business as usual. Your product not moving enough units, you adjust accordingly to what the market (customers) wants (better price/value). You don't stay in business to make a point... you stay in business to make money. And one thing MS is undeniably great at - is generating revenue.

That being said; I expect another price cut around Black Friday or maybe a super bundling deal that can't be beat.

$100 coupon for trading in your old console from Microsoft Store is still in effect until the end of the year. I could see a possible Black Friday deal with an extra game at the $349 price point. Maybe a Kinect bundle with one game at $400. Problem with Black Friday deals is that's one day & is limited quantity.

Tommy McClain

It spans the entire holiday months which is most of the year sales anyway, why are they making it temporary?

It's kind of expected that this drop will be back around E3, so the sales will probably drop to historical low in Q1 after they raise the price again January 3... and get back up after the next price drop. It's a weird roller coaster, unless anyone expect the XB1 to be still 399 after E3... :???:

The Kinect dongle for pc, a Haloez mega bundle, Forza Horizon and Sunset Overdrive.
Give the UK some good offerings and Imma have to jump in.

If MS actually had some family orientated Kinect games they might have been on for a solid Christmas. But they don't have, so I guess that's a moot point.

The Kinect dongle for pc, a Haloez mega bundle, Forza Horizon and Sunset Overdrive.
Give the UK some good offerings and Imma have to jump in.

If MS actually had some family orientated Kinect games they might have been on for a solid Christmas. But they don't have, so I guess that's a moot point.

Fantasia, Dance Central, and Kinect Sports rivals are really good for family and parties.
I think if these 3 titles were launched with X1 it would have been better for MS I think.

Still however, there is a lackof Kinect titles, given the un-bundling of Kinect I'm not sure if MS is planning a lot of Kinect based games for it's long term strategy.

I think the lead in to Kinect being an optional but strong element of the xbox platform is going to be longer and harder work than they were expecting, but I don't think they've given up on it yet.

Looking at sales and MS Xbox skus, it seems they're sorting shoring up the core gamer side first. Voice and motion are still valuable in the integrated services and IoT side, so I think it'll pay to build up over time. Next years E3 will hopefully showed they've been working on some solid stuff in the background.

I can't wait to start making simple Kinect stuff. Well, I have to because money, but Xbox One looks like its going to jump ahead of that 4GB graphics card now.

I wouldn't call it desperation... it's just business as usual. Your product not moving enough units, you adjust accordingly to what the market (customers) wants (better price/value). You don't stay in business to make a point... you stay in business to make money. And one thing MS is undeniably great at - is generating revenue.

That being said; I expect another price cut around Black Friday or maybe a super bundling deal that can't be beat.

When taken in the context of MS's previous moves this entire year I would most certainly call it desperation.

Well not if the perception is that the XB1 is at wee a bit of a power deficit on multiplatform games. Now that it will be cheaper for a while it will be up to the consumer to say whether or not that deficit is worth 50 bucks.

So the Master Chief Collection comes out around the November 11 a bit more than a week or so into the sale price. Lots of folks are gonna buy the thing it may make for a few stories about the XB1 being sold out in certain areas or it may be to clear stuff out of the channel or a bit of both. Nice to see it though.

It spans the entire holiday months which is most of the year sales anyway, why are they making it temporary?

It's kind of expected that this drop will be back around E3, so the sales will probably drop to historical low in Q1 after they raise the price again January 3... and get back up after the next price drop. It's a weird roller coaster, unless anyone expect the XB1 to be still 399 after E3... :???:

Well I think they are looking at a way to dry up inventory, get some good buzz about sales, get more folks on Live during the holiday ( Live will likely have fewer outages than PSN when lots of folks are logging in to their respective networks :devilish: ). There may be deals around for a 350 dollar kinectless xbox or some bundling up until e3 where a permanent drop will be done. Maybe even a BD-less "slim" Xbone will show up at e3 as well with say a $299 price point ? That get's you e3 coverage that can put to rest past e3 drama. There will be a nice narrative for the press to use saying that "MS is listening to customers as opposed to last year and still innovating ..." etc. etc. If they do come out with a BD-less system it could look pretty cool since they can arrange things on in the chassis with more flexibility with no optical disk drive to support in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raising the price back up in Jan is going to really make system sales come to a crashing halt. I guess they don't care, they can just do it again later.

They can always use the limited time offering as a pressure sale tactic... and announce in January "With such an overwhelming success, the price cut is here to stay because we're really nice guys".

I wonder what the stores that are not part of "participating retailer list" are thinking about this promotion? :) They are essentially fucked for the two most profitable months of the year.

They can always use the limited time offering as a pressure sale tactic... and announce in January "With such an overwhelming success, the price cut is here to stay because we're really nice guys".

+1

Tommy McClain

I wouldn't be surprised.

added:

Thinking about it I would be surprised if the didn't do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this for USA only (the xbone price drop) If it is then it looks increasingly likely that all that negative NPD pr is hurting. I don't think $50 is enuf though, it needs $100 off to make a difference

Why is this desperation? This is the first price drop in a year. That should be how it goes in consumer electronics. There is still the $450 sku.

Any case, consumers win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back