All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even really PR addressing sales or this latest bit of "news". Just a rehash of the statement they offered earlier in the week when they announced the AC bundles:

This holiday, Xbox offers the best place to play, with the best games, a variety of choices and best deals for fans. In addition to the Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Bundles, we have several other bundle options available featuring critically acclaimed games like Sunset Overdrive and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare at great prices. Beyond that, we’re bringing the best line-up of games to our fans this holiday with titles like Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Dance Central Spotlight, FIFA 15, Forza Horizon 2, Killer Instinct, Ori and the Blind Forest and Project Spark. We’re excited to deliver exceptional value and choice for our fans in an effort to help make Xbox One the best place to play this holiday.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/games-xbox-one-assassins-creed-bundles

I was thinking PS4 would do somewhere around 350 to 375k for the month, 3 x's August number is pretty impressive.... Need to see XB1 number for context but I'm guessing both platforms benefited from Destiny release and even somewhat of a multiplier effect in that if one of your clan upgraded to XB1/PS4 you would also be more inclined to do so.

Not even really PR addressing sales or this latest bit of "news". Just a rehash of the statement they offered earlier in the week when they announced the AC bundles:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/games-xbox-one-assassins-creed-bundles
That is hilarious. I'm really curious on their numbers. There has to be something to trumpet. They seem to be trying everything they can besides dropping the price. So I imagine sales are probably closer than they might appear? I don't see 2 to 1 because Sony would have said that. I guess we'll probably know by tomorrow

Destiny sold more on XBO? Wow. After all the talk about how associated with PS4 the game was...and given XBO's significant install base disadvantage.
It's not all that surprising considering they don't count bundle sales. Pretty much everyone here thought the XB1 had a good chance of outselling the PS4 version in NPD because of that.
The Destiny bundle obviously significantly boosted PS4 hardware sales, and PS+ subscribers doubled. PS4 HW sales were higher than Halo 3 month on X360. So I'd say the Activision/Sony deal paid off.

edit: and as Shortbread mentioned, Destiny was bundled for free for a whole week (or more?) on XB1.

The game came out in October, I think.
Released on September 30th, so 5 days of tracking (NPD tracked to Oct. 4th).

Racing games generally don't sell well in the US. I don't expect much from DriveClub either, especially because of the PS+ discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is hilarious. I'm really curious on their numbers. There has to be something to trumpet. They seem to be trying everything they can besides dropping the price. So I imagine sales are probably closer than they might appear? I don't see 2 to 1 because Sony would have said that. I guess we'll probably know by tomorrow

FWIW, from what I'm hearing locally, is that XB1 will offer the best pricing and packages around Black Friday.

According to Activision internal estimates, the PS4 system is the #1 platform worldwide for Destiny based on units sold through as of October 4, 2014.

From Sony's PR.

So far, XB1 September estimates put it at 290-310k units sold. Mostly pointing towards 300k as of now. If this holds, PS4 outpaced the XB1 by 250K units... :oops:

Historical data courtesy of Aqua:

Wii - 687K (September 2008)
PS4 - in the realm of 550K (September 2014)
PS2 - 532K (September 2002)
XB360 - 527,800 (September 2007)
PS3 - 492K (September 2009)

Updated: Thanks djskribbles!

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, XB1 September estimates put it at 290-310k units sold. Mostly pointing towards 300k as of now. If this holds, PS4 outpaced the XB1 by 250K units... :oops:
Aqua missed Halo 3 release month (September 2007):
Xbox 360 - 527,800

And people still think the Destiny marketing deal was a waste?

If XB1 is 290-310k, I would have been pretty close on both predictions (if I kept my original PS4 estimate).

Yeah, I think Pachter was hinting at something like that as well. November will be interesting for sure. It's not "preseason" anymore

Pachter may have just meant the AC bundle. Really dont trust him to have his finger on the pulse of gaming :LOL: He heard "AC Unity AND AC IV bundled with Xbox?" and thought "wow" or something :LOL:

According to Activision internal estimates, the PS4 system is the #1 platform worldwide for Destiny based on units sold through as of October 4, 2014.

From Sony's PR.

Would be highly expected. Xbox won in September in USA by a only nose likely, pushed by the free copies (I assume NPD counts them), although imo it's still impressive because it requires stand alone sales to be fairly close.

Also, from Aquamarine, highest septembers

Wii - 687K (September 2008)
PS4 - in the realm of 550K (September 2014)
PS2 - 532K (September 2002)
PS3 - 492K (September 2009)

For some reason she missed 360's September 07 of ~528k though.

Really wishing for One numbers! I'd say:

Under 250k: poor
Under 300K: average
300k-400k healthy and solid
400k+: very very good (for reference, 360's september 06 was 260k).
500k+: Extremely excellent. I doubt this though because MS PR would have been more excited.

Edit: Creamsugar says Vita~20k.

So far I haven't bothered to coallate the known numbers. I think we have sort of PS4 ("~550k" I assume), and 3DS as well.

Really wishing for One numbers! I'd say:

Under 250k: poor
Under 300K: average
300k-400k healthy and solid
400k+: very very good (for reference, 360's september 06 was 260k).
500k+: Extremely excellent. I doubt this though because MS PR would have been more excited.
Considering MS is keeping quiet, I doubt XB1 was over 320k. If sales were 2x August, that would at least give PR something to say.

If it's ~300k, that's a pretty solid number. October should be pretty good for XB1 with all of the SO bundles pouring into October's sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back