All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if only we had someone from East Asia that uses this forum that can comment...

Orangpelupa, I think we need you advice on the influence of Xbox and Playstation from your home continent. ;)

^^ we are dominated by Playstation even long before sony officially support our country.

Before official support:
Big events will have plastation tournament, usualy PES and fighting games. lots of pirated games also being sold. heck, the contest also use pirated games.

After official support:
big international events like Indonesia/Jakarta Game Show, AFA Anime Festival Asia, etc will have:
SONY for XPERIA, SonyMusic, PlayStation, Hi-End Entertainmrnt system (4K TV, thousand dollars speaker), Special DJ from Japan.

Official and unofficial PlayStation tournament will be held.
No pirated games is being sold in this event (as far as i know... the seller sometime clever enough to make their bootleg looks legit)

we also have a few japanese developer directly announce their projects or do QA session. all of them always releasing for PS (3,4,vita).

but how big the market is in Indonesia... i dont know..
looking at stores that sell original video games (currently theres only 3 stores, if any of you want to do business in indonesia, theres still big opportunity :D ).
Video game such as The Last of Us, Bravely Default, directly go "SOLD OUT" if you did not pre-order. PS4 special bundles also easily go "SOLD OUT" although the normal bundle always in-stock.

But looking at PC that we have no official support from anybody, the amount of players are mind-blowing a lot. For example, when i play Left4dead2, BF3, BF4, titanfall, any online PC game... Most of the time i will meet fellow Indonesian, there are so many of them lumped together in 1 team and make the game unbalanced.

but it is not sustainable at all. at maximum it only goes for around 1 month. after that, i will only meet 1 or 2 indonesian.

so i think Indonesia have a lot of hardcore early adopters that willing to spend a lot of money, making them dominating the online-play for a while. But the market are very small, limited only to this hardcore gamers. So in 1 month, other countries catch up.

on the other hand we have official anime/manga goodies market that very strong. anime figurines (nendoroid) that sold about 40-50 USD always SOLD-OUT and theres also robot/doll thing sold for around 5500 USD. so the consumer do have money to spend.

EDIT:
most of original stuff that sold in Indonesia are done through parallel importers. Even Sony that officially sell PS4 in Indonesia, the video game store did not get official stock from them (sony sell the official PS4 on their SONY Center). Some from Singapore, some from HongKong, some from Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly the response we can't get from a poll. Thanks Orangpelupa! :)

Madden Xbox has finally garnered a clear victory over non-Madden. #25 vs #56 currently.

No reason for anybody to buy non-Madden SKU. Yet it's still ranked 56...

25 is unusually high for X1, it's been 40-50 for a while, so maybe the pack in cause have a long term sales boost. Maybe.

Is that any different to Sony's partnership with Shanghai Oriental Pearl? That one includes locally sourced content as well, supposedly. BesTV and SOP are both members of the same umbrella organisation anyway, so I'm not sure if they'll serve the platforms significantly differently, other than how business leads them (may reduce investment in one platform if it doesn't take off, sort of thing, plus external investment from the platform holders).
No clue, because I don't know the relationship between either of them or what the contracts with the respective platform holders state they will be doing. The point being is that these are other variables that can change the preconceived notions dependent on how the relationships work out.

Madden Xbox has finally garnered a clear victory over non-Madden. #25 vs #56 currently.

No reason for anybody to buy non-Madden SKU. Yet it's still ranked 56...

25 is unusually high for X1, it's been 40-50 for a while, so maybe the pack in cause have a long term sales boost. Maybe.

They seem to be trending to offset each other. Since we don't know what each rank equates to in sales, its impossible to know if total sales are higher. The $399 SKU is falling as fast as the Madden bundle and the other bundles are also sinking daily. The SO bundle seems to drop 20 spots a day.

Just noticed Metro Redux PS4 was only #80, just two days from release. Didn't notice the XBO version, probably not in top 100.

Doesn't bode well for that titles sales. And Amazon does track software sales surprisingly well.

August: XB1 Madden Bundle (will move some units, but nothing like Destiny or COD:AW)
September: PS4 Destiny Bundle (going to move lots units)
October: XB1 Sunset Overdrive Bundle (less than Titanfall)
November: XB1 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Bundle (going to move lots units)
December: ???

* Rumor of a PS4 GTA V November bundle announcement is pending. This will be a hot unit move as well, if it happens.

Are there any bundles that I'm missing for the rest of the year?

So, I see Sony taking August (mostly because of TLoU:Remastered), September and October in North America hardware sales... MS having a great chance on taking November, if the PS4 GTA V bundle doesn't materialize. As for December, Sony has a great chance of taking it - if they're not supply constrained across all channels/territories.

Your opinion(s)?

Nearly One Third Of PS4 Owners Switched From Xbox 360 Or Wii

According to data given to Re/code, Nielsen surveyed 1,200 gamers from age 7 to 54 and found that 31 percent, almost a third, bought a PS4 after owning an Xbox 360 or Wii, but not a PS3. Another large portion, 17 percent of respondents, did not own a previous generation console at all, though as per the methods of the survey, that total could include those who sold their PS3s at GameStop to help pay for PS4. Though given the very prominent lack of backward compatibility of the console, I can’t imagine that number was too large.

While there’s no Nielsen data as to customer loyalty during the last generational switch, it’s possible to infer that the situation was somewhat reversed last time around. The PS2 absolutely dominated the original Xbox in sales, but the absurdly pricey debut of the PS3 caused many to check out the competition, the 360, for the first time. And in that cycle, the Wii took the crown with the unprecedented ability to become an outright pop-culture phenomenon, bringing in countless non-gamers to the fold (even if it was only for a little while).

I wonder how successful the XB360 would have been if the PS3 launched during the same time period, at the same price of XB360? Anyhow, I'm pretty sure PS2/XB360 users are returning to PS4 this time around...

Too bad they lumped the Wii and the 360 together. I'd say that the users are completely different. Folks that only owned a 360 last generation were most likely an entirely different demographic than those that owned only a Wii last gen.

Doesn't matter too much for Sony. Either way, they are expanding their customer base beyond that of the PS3 which is great news for them.

Just noticed Metro Redux PS4 was only #80, just two days from release. Didn't notice the XBO version, probably not in top 100.
I don't know about other regions but you can't pre-order Metro Redux for day one delivery on the Amazon UK store.

I'm not sure if this is proper thread but I heard that x1 SKU with kinect is delayed here in Finland...some kind of production problem so I assume it effects other countries too.

Or maybe kinect sku is canceled.. as proper locale support is not coming at all (kinect speech commands...)

Madden Xbox has moved up to #19 on Amazon. Seems a recent high for X1 hardware (other than preorders). We'll see if it can maintain.

So, I recently noticed that certain multiplatform games on the XB1 are half the price of its PS4 brethren. Most likely to move inventory, or to attract customers into purchasing XB1. Nothing wrong with that all... but hearing (overhearing) sales reps stating "Xbox games are always going to be cheaper than PS4, because MS has better relations with it developers on allowing cheaper games", is an outright lie, downright deceitful, IMHO.

But walking around Bestbuy/GameStop XB1 section, does give an impression that XB1 is the better buy given the game prices being lower. It's even present on Amazon.

So my question becomes; "Should price parity be mandatory across third party titles, regardless of inventory status?".

Should price parity be mandatory across third party titles, regardless of inventory status?

Nah, keeps things competitive if Microsoft are dropping the price of their games. Least it means we might eventually see a similar drop from Sony.

Too bad they lumped the Wii and the 360 together. I'd say that the users are completely different. Folks that only owned a 360 last generation were most likely an entirely different demographic than those that owned only a Wii last gen.

Doesn't matter too much for Sony. Either way, they are expanding their customer base beyond that of the PS3 which is great news for them.

I am not sure what the number is suppose to highlight especially given that it wasn't a relevant number last gen where 60-80% of 360 and Wii owners weren't previous owners of the XbOG and GC.

So my question becomes; "Should price parity be mandatory across third party titles, regardless of inventory status?".

Should that apply to Steam and PC ports?

I say It's up to the platform holders and individual publishers to set prices how they wish. Lower prices are better for consumers, that's the only thing that matters to me.

I wonder who's margin they are eating into with lower priced games? We recently had a figure of $7 publisher licensing fee and Microsoft and Sony could forgo that for a minor ($5) drop but then you're lowering your income to fund development of exclusives, or buy them.

Who is taking less to make this happen? I can't believe it's retail, so who have Microsoft convinced to take one for the team?

I wonder who's margin they are eating into with lower priced games? We recently had a figure of $7 publisher licensing fee and Microsoft and Sony could forgo that for a minor ($5) drop but then you're lowering your income to fund development of exclusives, or buy them.

Who is taking less to make this happen? I can't believe it's retail, so who have Microsoft convinced to take one for the team?

I'm pretty sure MS isn't taking the hit... this is more so the retailer/vendor on moving units out of inventory. Unless, MS is providing some type of incentives/breaks to retailers for getting rid of excessive stock. For almost three weeks (maybe more) now, I have seen XB1 titles like COD, BF4, AC:BF, going for half RRP... while Sony users have to pay full price or at most $5-$10 off RRP.

If MS is taking one for the team, then this is fair and competitive... but if the retailers are taking the hit on moving inventory, then it's quite unfair to PS4 consumers and potential buyers.

I'm pretty sure MS isn't taking the hit... this is more so the retailer/vendor on moving units out of inventory. Unless, MS is providing some type of incentives/breaks to retailers for getting rid of excessive stock. For almost three weeks (maybe more) now, I have seen XB1 titles like COD, BF4, AC:BF, going for half RRP... while Sony users have to pay full price or at most $5-$10 off RRP.

So presumably this is stock not purchased under a sale-or-return basis, or where even selling at a discount is still preferable to returning it unsold for zero sales profit, and where the inventory size for excess stock (games are small) isn't a problem.

If so, then won't this problem be self correcting? If I as a retailer buy too much stock and have excess that I need to discount it to sell it, albeit at thinner margins so marginal profit, next time I'll order less stock. How are these discounted games fairing in sales? They're all launch titles so 9 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back