All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
VGChartz has undertracked the PS4, and overtracked the XB1 several times compared to NPD. I can't imagine how off they are outside of the US where there is little to no information. They are useless.

I suspected ~9.5M, so 10M is not far off. Sony has obviously been doing a better job of allocating units. Certain countries have had plenty of supply for months, while several countries in EUR were still heavily understocked. Sony seemingly has just been stocking those countries better, so it's no surprise that they sold far more PS4s outside of the US. This also makes the 3.5M shipped in the quarter make a lot more sense.

So, I guess that's a lot of consoles in Europe *shrug*. All that stuff I wrote about the Europe ratio being lower for PS4 seems to be correcting itself if these numbers are true. This would put them ~2:1 over Xbox One too probably.

Europe? What about South America (10+ countries), Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, and the United Arab Emirates (7 Emirate States).

You're ignoring a lot of territories there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

Europe? What about South America (10+ countries), Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, and the United Arab Emirates (7 Emirate States).

You're ignoring a lot of territories there!

Well when video game companies break out the geographic regions in fiscal reports, everything outside USA/EU/JAPAN is pretty paltry. And noting UAE has 7 separate states doesn't change that it must be .01% of world sales.

Canada is somewhat substantial, though. Generally figured as 5-10% of USA sales and not included in NPD. And Australia, while smaller than Canada. Mexico might even amount to something these days.

Some newly listed SKU's rocketing up Amazon charts after Gamescom

Sunset Overdrive edition Xbox One 4th

Advanced Warfare "Zero day edition" Xbox One 5th, PS4 10th

Advanced Warfare edition Xbox One hardware 13th

Well when video game companies break out the geographic regions in fiscal reports, everything outside USA/EU/JAPAN is pretty paltry. And noting UAE has 7 separate states doesn't change that it must be .01% of world sales. Canada is somewhat substantial, though. Generally figured as 5-10% of USA sales and not included in NPD. And Australia, while smaller than Canada. Mexico might even amount to something these days.
Gotcha, so EMEA is one zone. Where does South America fall? I doubt they're selling many PS4s in Brazil with their import duties but Sony look to be supplying most South American countries.

These numbers still seem odd. I think most people had them short of 10 million, because well that was reasonable. Even Vgchartz had them at 9.3 million (just to give an idea of reasonable guesses, since that's what VGchartz does).

Guesses and assumptions don't equal fact.

They announced 7 million April 6. So that's basically April, May, June, July. NPD was 199k, 197k, 269k, and pending July. I went and added all the media create weeks April 6-August 3 (not as hard as it sounds thanks to GAF archive thread), that came to 146,638. So rounded off you have ~820K PS4 sold in Japan+USA from April through ~now, pending July NPD and a week or so of media create (which is a paltry 5k of sales currently). GAF tells me NPD July runs through August 2nd so maybe you've got a little more sales between August 2nd and the 12 but then again Sony's numbers probably aren't up to the day either. So, whatever you wanna credit Sony for July NPD+~820k. 230k for PS4 in July NPD seems a reasonable guess so that be ~1,050,000, plus maybe a week of unaccounted August fudge from 2-9th (assuming Sony's numbers are even this up to date) you get to 1.1 million.

NPD/MediaCreate/MCV can only gauge a certain amount of worldwide sales within a given territory or region. Not to mention, most do not have direct access (sales numbers) from e-retailers and Sony owned store/site.

So, I guess that's a lot of consoles in Europe *shrug*. All that stuff I wrote about the Europe ratio being lower for PS4 seems to be correcting itself if these numbers are true.

Let me guess... Sony is lying to the public, it's investors, and doctoring financial records/reports as we speak. Got'cha :rolleyes:

White Kinect-less XB1 + SO for 400$ ranked higher than PS4. Actually XB1 ranked higher than PS4 on Amazon for the first time in the past few months. Microsoft should be happy about this little victory if it takes longer than a week.

Reveal tent. What was revealed in the reveal tent was basically Sony's victory. Sony basically got all the sales you would expect from PS3 migration, plus most of the sales MS might have expected from 360 migration.

There's no evidence of that. The continued strong software sales for the 360 (especially compared to the PS3), show that there is certainly more motivation for PS3 users to migrate than for 360 users. I'd say Sony got a larger than expected PS3 to PS4 migration while my gut tells me that MS is bleeding more 360 users than they'd like (or expected), the strong 360 software sales counter your conclusion that Sony is getting "most" of 360 upgrades.

It would be awesome to have some kind of insight into the delusion within management at Xbox between 2010 ~ early 2014.

Delusion? Talk about a loaded statement. Insight into the mismanagement of the Xb0x is going to be a great read, but I don't think delusion factors into it. Competing interests between the original vision for the console VS what the MBA's came in and said would actually be profitable and how the multiple compromises between the two resulted in the mess that is the Xb0x will be the story.

That's some rather impressive numbers. I see a similar issue as the Destiny PS4 though, none of this will matter until release.

When are these SKUs released? Those are going to be some big number months. Especially if they're ranked persistently high over several weeks.

FWIW, PS4 hit 10 million around the 10th... it seems The Last of Us Remastered had a nice impact on hardware sales.

I'm not sure who 'they' is in your theory. Are MS regretting something, or Bungie? I think you're suggesting MS has the option to secure an exclusive from Bungie for lots of money and chose not to pay that fee for Destiny, and now may be regretting that choice as Destiny could have been for XB1 what Halo was for XB...er...one (the first one ;)).

The Bungie contract with MS is available online and MS had serious rights to Destiny. Most likely these rights were part of the COD negotiations with Activision, which is why Destiny is available on PS4.

The reference was to the contract that allowed the split. I don't remember the details beyond that MS had rights to at least Bungie's first game, kind of a right of first refusal. If Activision and MS got together and worked something I out, I would love to know what that was and I would guess at this point MS would take it back in a heartbeat considering the potential value of Destiny as a franchise.

Sony came strong and solid, MS fucked up so badly that it seems inconceivable. Inconceivable that no-one in a decision making position could see it coming and avert any of it.
It would be awesome to have some kind of insight into the delusion within management at Xbox between 2010 ~ early 2014.

You keep using that word... ;)

Stolen from GAF - Aquamarine

Nice breakdown...

Congratulations to everyone at SCEI and SCE Worldwide Studios.

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million
1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 20.13 million

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Xbox 360 Shipments:

1 month, 1 day - December 31st, 2005 - 1.57 million
4 months, 10 days - March 31st, 2006 - 3.2 million
7 months, 9 days - June 30th, 2006 - 5.0 million
10 months, 9 days - September 30th, 2006 - 5.9 million
1 year, 1 month, 10 days - December 31st, 2006 - 10.4 million

PS1 Shipments:

3 months, 29 days (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
1 year, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
1 year, 9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1996 - 8.06 million
2 years, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2 Shipments:

28 days (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
6 months, 27 days (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
1 year, 28 days - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
1 year, 6 months, 27 days - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
1 year, 9 months, 28 days - December 31st, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million
8 months, 27 days - August 10th, 2014 - 10.0 million

Yeah, was to be expected. It will probably continue to drop, then sales will pick up again closer to release. If it mostly stays in the top 20-30 like the Destiny bundle, all the way up to release, then that's pretty impressive. Otherwise making it to the top 4 doesn't really tell us anything.

I think they can hit at least 16 million by the end of the year but thinking something like 17 million is also on the realistic side. There's a lot of big games coming out and a second wave of sports gamers upgrading to the new gen. Between now and the end of October they should easily have 11.5 million worldwide, and after that comes the juggernaut that is the holiday season.

I'll be super impressed if they can break the 15 mil barrier by the end of december

I think 15mil is a total lock tbh, they'll prolly do 2+ nov-dec in the usa alone with a similar number for eu (sub 2 maybe?) ontop of the ~mill a month it's moving atm (aug+sept+oct), barring supply issues I think anything under 17 mil is unlikely.

Or

They're selling about a mil a month, there's 5 months left in the year, 15 mil seems like a done deal already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back